BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Help Tips and Forum Issues....

WEBSITES BEWARE!

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DanceofSorrows

WEBSITES BEWARE!

I recently had a somewhat dissapointing experience with a specific website that is not only a non profit site (asking for money to continue it's online agenda) but also one that deals with depression. The main functionality of the website is forums. However, after a few years of being away from the site I had forgot about my vulnerable, exposing posts I had made until
just recently. When I requested if they could take my posts down they said no.

Mind you, this is a website for depression supposedly to help people and be a support. But the fact is once you have posted on this forum site, you no longer retain the right to take down your posts. The right of your words, poems, emotions once felt etc are property of this website.

Websites beware! Please find out the rules regarding the website itself before you post your works or feelings. In the end it may come back to bite you in the ass. Melswebs proudly allows people to retain thier own power over thier posts. Once again, this site proves more user/member friendly than many out there. Just a reminder to always make sure you have
the information regarding electronic technology with regards to posting your works and expressions~

Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:18 am 
cmichelle1119

Very Happy

Yes baby good advice...

~Mich

Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:25 am 
ghost

thank you dance - very good point!

regards
ghost

Post Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:39 pm 
DanceofSorrows

I just thought I would let you all know that the owner of that specific site has not yet contacted me nor made effort to remove my postings. After contacting the IRS (yes there is reprieve) they told me that copyright infringment can disrupt a non-profit's tax status and gave this number to report it:

1-877-829-5500 (IRS)

Also, by copright law... Any website that refuses to take down your works of poetry, literary expression etc...(at your request if nothing is signed offically to keep the works up on a website) legal preceedings can ensue. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT thing to know. You have rights. In the United States (as I am learning) copyright infringment bears penalties that can be persued. If the webmaster or Owner of site does not comply with your wishes to take down your original poetry, this is copyright infringment,

I hate going through this now but I know it can help another, that is why I am sharing this. And gawd...I am so glad I am at this website now hanging my hat as opposed to some others now that I know how bad some websites are. We really are lucky to have eachother and a site where to owners/administrators care about people and thier works. No that was not advertisement lol but just apprechiation. Anyhow...

Hugs

Dance~

Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:02 am 
melons
Site Admin

Hey everyone.... Smile

although I am slow at sorting many things on the site (including answering posts and writing a sequel to castle retreat *chuckling) I do actually respond to copyright issues and personal requests to remove owners work from the site as soon as practicable. Normally within 24 hours, although you have to remember I do have a life outside of Melswebs too *smiling. Bear in mind that you are able to remove your own work too and you should take that action first before contacting me to help out.

hugs to all,

Mel x
Cool

Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:47 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: