BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Holiday Tips...

Travelling to America

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sarah kristine

Travelling to America

Hi all!

A friend and I have decided to travel to USA in a year, for a year, and obviously we are starting to prepare ourselves now... We will be leaving here Jan 4 2009 for NY so it will be winter and we'll be making our way across the states to LA for the summer.

I am just wondering if anyone knows of or has a list of preparations and/or things to get/bring before leaving, and a list of approx. costs of the things. I wouldn't know where to start!

TIA guys!

Kristine
x

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:58 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Hi there Kristine,

Firstly I was wondering what country you are coming from and what sort of Visa you intend to be travelling on? As an Aussie currently in the States on a tourist Visa I can tell you that there is no way you will get an intital entry permit of more than 6 months!. It doesnt matter how long the Visa you get in your home country is (mine is for 5 years). Plus you are not permitted to work under the tems of a Tourist Visa. Have you looked into any of this as yet?

You can apply once you are here to extend the Visa for another 6 months but that costs $300 and there is no guarantee you will be approved.

I'd be happy to answer any other specific questions you may have.

Noni

Post Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:01 pm 
Cyg

Hey Kristine,

I'm guessing your plans are fairly formed. If you plan on driving. I would look around for a good rental car. If your driving across country, you could look into dropping off the car at another airport or dealer ship and then fly home from there. I would put aside some good money for hotel's and gas. Since it's winter it will be hard to camp out, unless if you go south or if you are into winter camping.

There are a lot of cool things in the states. If you are visiting a major city such as New york, you could look for hotels a few miles out since they will probably be cheaper. Then you can take the train in. Just make sure you know when the public transportation stops running so you don't get stuck.

There are a lot of cool parks out west too. Of course I've only seen the Grand Cannon in the middle of a blizzard, but if you go in the spring or summer I hear its a pretty view. Again If you do drive just be sure to not let your gas tank run bellow half going through the great plain's, since gas stations tend to be far and few between.

Depending on where you live you might be able to find a travel packet. This might be a good option and more affordable then having to plan everything on your own. I had a friend for Germany that did this and she had a lot fun. But she did say it was a lot of driving.

Best of luck with your planing.

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:25 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: