BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Cooking Techniques and Recipes

Chicken liver and green tea - acquiring taste for health!

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sobu-Milkwo

Chicken liver and green tea - acquiring taste for health!

Any ideas about green tea and fried chicken liver?

Thanks!
Life is what we make of it. The power to shape our destiny with the choices we make is the greatest power we human beings have been endowed with - from God. May we let go of the past and create our lives anew every single day.

Last edited by Sobu-Milkwo on Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:31 am; edited 2 times in total

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:21 am 
Sobu-Milkwo

My own receipe

Since no one responded to my invitation for a receipe, I had to do something really quick with the 500 gm of chicken liver I had bought. I have since deleted the way I went about inventing my receipe on the run. But here it is, minus the unnecessary details:

500 gm chicken liver
One big red onion
Two large tablespoons of 'extra virgin' (cold pressed) olive oil
One large tablespoon of vinegar, (juice of freshly pressed lemon even better), or in quantity to suit one's taste
Salt and pepper as required

(I would add fresh garlic and ginger the next time, and try the taste with fresh green chillies/peppers instead of black ground pepper)

Wash the chicken liver and slice them into 0.5 cm thick pieces.
Chop the onion longitudinally into small pieces.
Heat the oil and fry the onions and liver together for about five minutes stirring constantly.
Pour a bit of water and continue to stir.
Add salt and pepper, stir.
Pour the vinegar or lemon juice and mix thoroughly for a minute before removing the pan from the heat.

For a special meal/part of regular meal: Serve it with boiled brown rice/brown bread/potato/Lebanese or Turkish bread/indian chappathi or roti, plus yoghurt, one green vegetable dish of your choice (highly recommended - broccoli. Brussel sprouts, beans, spinach etc can be used for variety when one wants to make chicken liver a regular part of one's diet), and a colourful salad. Cool

DO NOT drink green (or black or white) tea with the meal! Drink fruit or herbal tea with the meal. Tea interferes with the absorption of iron in food (Iron content in chicken liver is 8.47 mg per 100g) .

Drink green tea at other times! Japanese Sencha is very good. If you are like me and don't really care for the taste of green tea, disguise it by adding a bag of apple+blackcurrant tea (or any other fruit tea of your choice), and sweeten with honey. Idea Tastewise, it is then like drinking sweetened apple+blackcurrant tea Wink !

Mix and match from the above suggestions and add your own, to make eating chicken liver and drinking green tea on a regular basis, a pleasurable activity.

I would like to share my experience trying to get used to the idea of drinking green tea. Although I had green tea in the house for months, I didn't bother to drink it. I drank black tea as long as there was black tea in the house. So when I realised I wasn't getting anywhere with my resolution to start drinking green tea, I refused to buy black tea and sugar when I ran out of them. I love to drink lots of black tea (Darjeeling Second Flush and Earl Grey are my favourites), with a spot of milk and lots of sugar! Drinking up a whole kettle of tea (500 ml) in one long sitting especially on a Saturday and Sunday morning at breakfast, is one of those pleasurable activities in my life. So when I tried to give it up, first of all my sugar withdrawal symptoms kicked in and so did my need for the taste and the stimulants in black tea. Since there was no black tea and sugar in the house, I was forced to drink green tea disguised in apple+blackurrant tea, sweetened with honey. I can tell you my joy in tea drinking disappeared down the drain and I had to force myself to drink my new health drink like medicine. It took me about two weeks of iron discipline to even begin to start tasting my health concoction. Now I can say that the panic search for black tea and sugar seems to have ebbed. Since green tea does have a stimulating effect, although milder than black tea, and honey is sweet, although I still prefer the taste of sugar in tea, I'm slowly getting used to the idea of drinking green tea. I have not yet reached the stage of trying the taste of 'pure' green tea yet. It is still blended with apple+blackcurrant tea! The compromise is not too bad considering there is nothing to be said against the fruit tea and honey.

I know I'll drink black tea whenever I get the chance, but I have decided not to have it around the house. That is how I got over my addiction for coffee, which I used to drink so strong and so sweet and so often that finally my stomach couldn't take the assault anymore. At that time, I weaned myself off coffee by switching to black tea. I still drink coffee (I love a really good Cappuccino) when I go out, but I don't have it in the house. I decided not to go into psychoanalysis, to delve deep into my childhood and figure out the reasons why I love coffee so much and can't resist drinking it when I have it in the house.

Healthy eating Exclamation

Sobu
Life is what we make of it. The power to shape our destiny with the choices we make is the greatest power we human beings have been endowed with - from God. May we let go of the past and create our lives anew every single day.

Last edited by Sobu-Milkwo on Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:57 am; edited 7 times in total

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:52 am 
kaJo

Hey Sobu~
Never had chicken liver. But I love a website called cooks.com they have 211 receipes for chicken livers.

HEALTHY EATING!,
kaJo

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:11 am 
Sobu-Milkwo

Thanks Kajo!

Thanks for the link Kajo! It is terrific, especially because it gives details of nutritional values of food. Looking it up (look specially at the content of folic acid and vitamin B12 in cooked chicken liver) should convince anyone why I recommend chicken liver Very Happy !

I had decided to go for fried chicken livers for health reasons, so it is good to have several receipes at hand. (For those who are not sporadic nutritional freaks like me - frying is to preserve the vitamins. Gently frying even vegetables for even a couple of minutes in a little oil (extra virgin cold pressed olive oil is best) before cooking it in water, preserves the nutrients.

I suggest you give the chicken livers a go too. If you haven't eaten it before, now is the time to begin. It is extremely healthy and finding the receipe that suits your taste is the trick. With 211 receipes listed on the website you recommended, finding one that suits your tongue shouldn't be a problem.

Healthy eating to you too!

Sobu

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:49 am 
Sobu-Milkwo

Tried out white tea!

My update on tea experiments.

Since I read that white tea was even healthier than green tea, I thought I might as well give it a go, now that I was in the mood to experiment - green, white, blue, what did colour matter?

[By the way my decision to switch to green tea, was not because drinking black tea is bad. It was the amount of sugar that I needed in each cup (4-5 teaspoonful!!!) and my inability to cut down on it, that forced the crisis. I have long since gotten used to people's eyes popping right out of their heads, when they see me add sugar to my tea. Very often I'm asked if I'm adding sugar to tea or tea to sugar. I always smile brightly and say that the sugar was the secret of my sweetness. Sometimes I would add that I needed a vice or that I don't eat toffies and cakes like others do. Because I'm slim, nobody could accuse me of being careless with my diet. Aside: my real motivation for maintaining my weight is to be able to wear the clothes I bought 15 years ago! The urgent need to give up my sugar addiction was precipitated by my mother, (who has diabetes and can add only her horrible tasting sweetener in her tea), who was horrified each time when she noticed, or rather couldn't help noticing, how much sugar I added to my tea and knowing that I drank 6-8 cups of tea per day, warned me that I could end up with diabetes like her, if I didn't have it already. I found I couldn't relish my tea if there wasn't tons of sugar in it, so cutting down on it was no option at all. In fact I realise in hindsight now, that my need for sugar had gradually increased, starting out with three teaspoonful per cup, then four and now five. There is a real danger, it would progress to me needing six teaspoonful of sugar per cup of tea. Mothers sometimes do give sensible advice! I have not got to my GP for a checkup yet, although it is long overdue.]

Now to white tea: I made two large cups, one cup of 'pure' white tea with only honey, and the other cup of white tea with a bag of rosehip+hibiscus tea. Result? The 'pure' version tasted like warm honey water. The sweetened rosehip +hibiscus tea was not bad. I'm not sure what happened to the white tea. It disappeard! I had let it seep for five minutes as per instructions. I had been warned that white tea was milder than green tea, but not that it was completely tasteless. My crude taste buds, used to lots of very spicy food, simply couldn't discern any taste! Chinese emperors who supposedly drank plenty of it, obviously had very sensitive taste buds.

Health info: Black tea is better than coffee, green tea is better than black tea, white tea is better than green tea. If you can drink it without tons of sugar, that is.

Give the tea experiments a go. It is kind of fun. I'm not quite sure when I might decide to dump the whole experiment and to go back to drinking the lovely Darjeeling Second Flush and Earl Grey with a spot of milk and tons of sugar. However to keep up my motivation to continue to drink green tea, sometimes I read up on the benefits of green tea. My head is convinced alright, but my taste buds usually don't care a damn about what my head has to say, and very often it is my head that is overruled. Very Happy

Post Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:26 am 
Sobu-Milkwo

Update on personal experience

Hi all

I used this thread to share my personal experience acquiring a new taste for health reasons, with the hope it would encourage others who might be on the same path. I believe that physical health contributes immensely to happiness, and prevention is considerably easier and cheaper than cure.

So an update: I stuck to my green tea routine since I last posted here. That gives me a feeling of inner strength and accomplishment. I still do not enjoy drinking green tea very much (I drink Japanese Sencha, leaves, not in tea bags, mixed with rosehip+hibiscus and sweetened with honey), and I drink no more than two cups, sometimes three cups per day. It compares poorly with the 6-8 cups of black tea that I used to drink before.

Although I no longer enjoy the tea drinking part of my day, I do not feel any craving for black tea or sugar. A longing for the taste, yes, but not a craving. I deal with the longing by reminding myself of the benefits of green tea, and the danger of going back to the sugar addiction which is an integral part of my black tea drinking habit.

Since I have to make up for my fluid needs somehow, I have started to drink milk again, 2-3 cups per day (which I had given up after my black tea drinking didn't leave much room for anything else). I'm on a mini health trip at the moment, so I take multivitamin tablets along with milk. I feel a lot better since I started. I'm particularly worried about osteoporosis (which is the common cause of fractures in the elderly), and dementia, as I get older. My multivitamin-mineral tablet contains Calcium, vitamin D, folic acid , B12 and B6, iodine, selenium, among others. Since the multivitamin contains less B vitamins than I would like, I take an extra B vitamin supplement (essential for the nerves, and also for lowering homocysteine), to ensure I get about 800 micrograms of folic acid (in divided doses), 10 micrograms of B12 and about 20 milligrams of B6. When I am over the age of 50, I will have B12 levels determined, to find out if there is any malabsorption due to any cause, and then step up the dose for the rest of my life, the level depending on how my body is absorbing the vitamin.

My tip to anyone who reads this thread: Invest in your health while you are still young, and your body will thank you for it. Neglect your body while you are young, it will let you get away with it while you are young, but will strike back when you get older. Eat a healthy diet and take a multivitamin supplement. Don't overdo the vitamin supplements by taking megadoses. Megadoses are useless. Megadoses of synthetic fat soluble vitamins like A, D and E cause toxicity. Most people don't eat healthy food in the quantities and varities needed for optimum health, which is quite different from keeping deficiency diseases at bay. Some people don't have the time or money needed for that super healthy diet, with plenty of vegetables, fruits and fish. Some people simply couldn't be bothered to change their bad eating habits. Hence the need for regular supplement intake. Above the age of 40, supplement becomes almost a necessity, since the body begins to slow down metabolically and nutrients don't get so well absorbed anymore due to several reasons.

My two cents worth to tips on good health. Good luck on your health journey!

Sobu

PS: Update 5 December 2006

Finally went to the GP last week for that overdue medical check-up. The GP gave me the best news anyone could hope to hear: I'm fit as a fiddle, except that my haemoglobin level is the lowest level of normal. No diabetes, no high BP, no high cholesterol, no thyroid or liver problems...nothing. I went out and ate grilled chicken, chips and drank a big mug of Cappuchino to celebrate! Wink

I'm motivated to stay healthy. I know that I'm at an age, where I must start doing something to maintain good health. I must get that exercise thing going.

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:16 am 
1seed

Hi Sobu

Glad to hear you are in good health and are taking good care of yourself. I am too into health even though I carry a few extra pounds. I am an urban organic farmer. I grow almost all my own vegetables and bye all meats from farmers that I know share the same beliefs I have with regards to not usings pesticides and carrying for the environment.

Have you tried wheat grass? It carries a lot of detoxifying properties and high nutritional value. I like it but it takes time to get use to(tastes liked mowed grass at first) and gives you a nice buzz especially when it is fresh. I also like to juice my own veggies especially satisfying when you know where the veggies come from.

Good luck and let's share ideas. I am trying to like tea but I haven't drank enough of it to appreciate it. I really don't like coffee, my real weakness is chocolate(real chocolate 70%). I quit buying the hershey stuff years ago.

Take care,
seed

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:39 am 
Sobu-Milkwo

Update May 2007

Hi all

This is just to let everyone know that my persistence with drinking green tea has paid off. I have been drinking only green tea for the past eight months now, and I don't even need to disguise the taste with fruit tea.

I do take the liberty to drink cappuccino or black tea when I go out.

I wanted to share this update to encourage others.

Sobu

Post Sat May 12, 2007 9:36 am 
Ophelia

Chicken Liver and Green Tea

hi sobu -

thanks for the chicken liver recipe, i love chicken livers
and always save them to eat last when i roast a whole chicken.

been drinking green tea for some time now, it's delish with lemon.

O.

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:43 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: