BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

Memorial Day

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Memorial Day

Memorial day.

What does it mean to you?

I know Memorial Day is an American holiday that dates back to the time of the Civil War and over the years it has evolved into a holiday that honors the sacrifices of all who have died serving in the United States military.

The country I am from is Ireland and there we do not celebrate this day as a national or even a recognized holiday but we do have a day in which we honor those who have served their country in military service. In Ireland we celebrate Armistice Day, which has evolved into Remembrance Day in many countries, or Veterans Day.

My family served in WWI and even though Ireland was officially neutral in WWII there were many young men and women who joined the British or the Americans to fight as did my grandparents…three of them anyway. Both of my grandfathers served in the British Army and my grandmother (mums side of the family) went to England and became a nurse in the British Army. Every year on November 11 they honor not only the men and women they served with but every single man and woman who is serving or has ever served their country in peace or war.

Debs family has served the United States military in every war it has been in since her great grandfather served in WWI and she currently has a cousin in Iraq and one in Afghanistan.

Memorial day in the United States is a day to remember all those who have died in the service of their country and in essence the service of the people of the United States. We do not have to agree or even condone the actions of the politicians who have put them in harms way but I think we should show our respect and gratitude to all who have sacrificed their lives in our service.

People have backyard barbeques. Some go to a baseball game or shopping or do any number of things on this day and that is fine. I just hope they each took a moment to think about all the men and women who have died so they could.

What this day means to me…
It is a day to remember that there are people who have died to protect their homes, their families, their country and their way of life. These men and women come from all walks of life and lost their lives for the people of their country. Some of them…all of them should be honored as heroes. I salute them all and give them my deepest respect and gratitude for their sacrifice.

Post Tue May 27, 2008 2:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Vampyre_Zero

I agree

Thanks Eiregirl for the great Essay. It's nice to see someone from another country speak so passionately about all that served and gave their lives so that we can be free and enjoy all that we do. I have quite a few in my family that have served in the Military. I would not like to think how we would live if World War I or II were won by Hitler. We would not be able to love who we chose to. The same can be said if our current war is won by The Terrorists. I don't think that many people realize what is at stake if we lose the war. How much freedom can be taken away from us. Is is not just the USA that is affected by this war, the whole world is affected. I wish we could all put aside our political differences and come together to make sure our freedoms are not taken away from the world, and to help others around the world reclaim their freedoms. Just my thoughts about this topic. If I have offended anyone, I am sorry. I just think we should speak up on things that are dear to us, like our freedom.

Post Tue May 27, 2008 6:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

Re: I agree

quote:
Originally posted by Vampyre_Zero:
Thanks Eiregirl for the great Essay. It's nice to see someone from another country speak so passionately about all that served and gave their lives so that we can be free and enjoy all that we do. I have quite a few in my family that have served in the Military. I would not like to think how we would live if World War I or II were won by Hitler. We would not be able to love who we chose to. The same can be said if our current war is won by The Terrorists. I don't think that many people realize what is at stake if we lose the war. How much freedom can be taken away from us. Is is not just the USA that is affected by this war, the whole world is affected. I wish we could all put aside our political differences and come together to make sure our freedoms are not taken away from the world, and to help others around the world reclaim their freedoms. Just my thoughts about this topic. If I have offended anyone, I am sorry. I just think we should speak up on things that are dear to us, like our freedom.

Vamp,

I for one take no offense to anything you have said and in my humble opinion...(blank) anyone who does.

In war only an idiot or physco wants to die. You can see the apprehension on the faces of the soldiers because they know they may lose their own life today or that of a friend. There is not a single person who joins the military who does not know the potential risks they face and for their courage they deserve the utmost respect for it. No mother or father in their right mind wants to lose a child and no child wants to lose a loving parent. The initial causes for the current situation in Afganistan, Iraq and that area of the world began before our great grandparents were a twinkle in their mothers eyes. It does not matter what the politics of the situation are...the soldiers are not the politicians and anyone who does not wish to show respect to the men and women who have the courage to face what they face everyday deserves nothing but contempt.

Thank you very much for your reply
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: