lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook
BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> Poetic Form and Technique

My dreams (#48 Triolet)

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

My dreams (#48 Triolet)

Triolet

A Triolet is a form of poetry dating back to 13th century France. It consists of 8 lines of verse.

Structure
A Triolet contains two refrains (lines that repeat). The first refrain is with the first, fourth and seventh lines. The second refrain is with the second and eight lines.

The rhyme pattern is abaaabab.

Line one (a)
Line two (b)
Line three (a)
Line four (repeat line one)
Line five (a)
Line six (b)
Line seven (repeat line one)
Line eight (repeat line two)

You can make this more challenging by writing a Triolet using a set meter such as iambic tetrameter or pentameter or any other meter you wish to use.

Terms
Refrain – A line of verse that repeats.
Iambic – as we have discussed before iambic is a common metrical “foot” in poetry which consists of two syllables (a single foot). A short (unaccented) syllable followed by a long (accented) syllable such as with the word “diverge” “di-verge” di being the short (unaccented) syllable and verge being the long (accented) syllable this is a single iambic foot.
Tetrameter – is a metrical measurement of poetic verse which consists of four metrical feet. Iambic tetrameter will give eight total syllables.
Pentameter – is a measurement of verse that consists of five metrical feet. Iambic pentameter will give ten total syllables.

NOTE – as always if you would like a further explanation or more information on anything discussed here all you have to do is ask and I will be more than happy to provide further more detailed information.

History
As stated at the beginning the Triolet dates back to thirteenth century France…at least that is the time period from which written examples are known to be from. A Benedictine monk named Patrick Carey is said to have composed many Triolets for use in his devotions.

Now my poem

My dream

Floating on the clouds of my dream
Into your whispered words I retreat
Remember that night by the millstream
Floating on the clouds of a dream
You and me, the two of us make a team
One without the other would be incomplete
Floating on the clouds of my dream
Into your whispered words I retreat

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
desert-fish

"A Benedictine monk named Patrick Carey is said to have composed many Triolets for use in his devotions."

i had a slightly different kind of devotion in mind i suspect.....

center-fold

i found her in a centerfold
a moment's rapture that enslaved
with raven tresses, and eyes so bold
i found her in a center-fold

she was a vision to behold
this woman blessed with all i crave

Twisted Evil

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:20 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by sol-o:
"A Benedictine monk named Patrick Carey is said to have composed many Triolets for use in his devotions."

i had a slightly different kind of devotion in mind i suspect.....

center-fold

i found her in a centerfold
with raven tresses, and eyes so bold

she was a vision to behold
this woman blessed with all i crave

Twisted Evil

Smile nice devotion Smile

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: