lesbian, haiku, poetry, poem, poems, haiky poetry, haiku poems, haiku poem, lesbian poetry, lesbian poems, lesbian poem, 
lesbian haiku, lesbian haiku poems, lesbian haiku poetry, lesbian haiky poem, poem submissions,
poetry submissions, poetry submission, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, submit poems, 
submit lesbian poems, submit lesbian poem, submit lesbian poetry, submit poetry, submit poems, submit poem lesbian, haiku, poetry, poem, poems, haiky poetry, haiku poems, haiku poem, lesbian poetry, lesbian poems, lesbian poem, 
lesbian haiku, lesbian haiku poems, lesbian haiku poetry, lesbian haiky poem, poem submissions,
poetry submissions, poetry submission, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, submit poems, 
submit lesbian poems, submit lesbian poem, submit lesbian poetry, submit poetry, submit poems, submit poem lesbian, haiku, poetry, poem, poems, haiky poetry, haiku poems, haiku poem, lesbian poetry, lesbian poems, lesbian poem, 
submit lesbian poems, submit lesbian poem, submit lesbian poetry, submit poetry, submit poems, submit poem
BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> Haiku

Some rules of haiku
Goto page 1, 2  Next
LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Mairi bheag

Some rules of haiku

Some rules of Haiku – by a Gaijin haijin

1. Wise woman say: Rules are for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of the foolish. Equally wise woman say: Rules may well be for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of the foolish, but they’re there for a reason.

2. Haiku is a Japanese poetry form. The fact that we do not write it in Japanese takes us at least one step away from it’s purest form. It could be argued that since it is no longer in Japanese it is no longer haiku.

3. The classic haiku is a seventeen-syllable poem, arranged in three lines of five, seven, and five syllables respectively. There are other forms, but this one is perhaps the most beautiful to work with.

4. Here is an important fact: 17 syllables of English contains 30% more information than 17 syllables of Japanese. If you ignore that, however many of the other rules of haiku you adhere to, you have taken a further step from its classic form. Don’t let that stop you, if that is what you want to do. There are a couple of exciting paths to take, when faced by this particular challenge. Firstly you could find a way of economising on the information whilst still using the seventeen syllables – this will test your word-power, involve you in a search perhaps for longer words whilst maintaining the simplicity of the form (not easy). Alternatively you can shorten the syllable-length of the poem. Seventeen less 30% is roughly twelve, which means you can play around with, say, a 3-6-3 or 3-5-4 format. If you do the latter, be prepared to face the fact that some will say you have moved away from classic haiku; lesser haijin (like me) argue this point incessantly, while greater haijin just get on and write.

4. Haiku has its origins in Zen Buddhism, and there is a way to approach it. It is grounded in the observation of the poet – by which I mean it is to do with your senses, rather than your mind. In producing a haiku therefore, observation, thought, action, and result are one. Having “a neat idea for a haiku” takes us another step away from it – stay in the realm of “no thought” if you can.

5. Ideally, the observation has to be of something natural, preferably to do with the four seasons.

6. The sensory images can be from any of the senses. Sight and sound are the most commonly-referred to, but don’t forget you have others to play with, or to be worked upon.

7. These sensory images are then used to convey to the reader, a momentary mood or emotion. It is to be subtle in doing this, conveying it to the reader without any directly personal reference. Using a haiku form to say “I am sad because my girlfriend left me” takes one a further step away from the form.

8. There are two parts to the haiku. Firstly, the initial and second lines should be connected by both imagery and grammar. The last line should be a separate image, and usually it should refer more directly to the transient mood or emotion (subtly! subtly!).

9. If possible, avoid articles (“a” and “the”) and conjunctions (“and”, “but”, etc,).

10. You ought not to need punctuation, because the form and structure will regulate what you would otherwise have punctuated.

11. Having said all this, there is nothing to stop you taking the idea of a 5-7-5 structure, and using it for whatever purpose you like. You can write a long poem based on that whole verse-structure. There have been times when I have been told I have written very bad haiku but a splendid poem.

12. What do I consider to be a perfect haiku? I answer “Is perfection possible?” I will give an example below. It is basically one of ghost’s, but tweaked to illustrate a point.

summer's sun shines hot
on flowers brightly blazing
forget-me-nots fade

What has this got? Seasonal reference, natural observation, grammatical flow of first to second line, imagery flow from first to second line, simplicity… The third line is still a sensory observation, but with brilliant subtlety brings in the emotion surrounding fading memory. What a gem!

Please, please, please feel free to argue with all of the above, and above all to have a time of fulfilment writing haiku. Better still, let the haiku write you!

Mb
xx

PS: Mel's explanation of haiku can be found here
http://www.melswebs.com/generalboards/viewtopic.php?p=6621&highlight=haiku#6621

Here are some general links for haiku writing, including reference to senryu:

http://www.ahapoetry.com/haiku.htm
http://www.haikuhut.com/Haiku%20Definition.htm

Last edited by Mairi bheag on Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:07 am; edited 2 times in total

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:54 pm 
DanceofSorrows

Excellent piece indeed.

Dance~

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:24 pm 
Mairi bheag

Thank you dance - feel free to pick holes and add bits.

Mb
xx

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:27 pm 
ghost

awwww Mb. thank you.

honour friendship's tree
it gives shade when needed most
even when still seed

regards
ghost

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:09 pm 
Mairi bheag

Embarassed Tango Partner, you did that reply so I could pick holes in it - admit it! Very Happy

Mb
xx

Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:06 am 
ghost

awww Mb.

rats! caught out..... Very Happy

regards
ghost

Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:43 am 
Mairi bheag

The top piece has been edited to include the following link:

http://www.melswebs.com/generalboards/viewtopic.php?p=6621&highlight=haiku#6621

I am re-posting it here for the benefit of anyone monitoring for email alerts

Here are some general links for haiku writing:

http://www.ahapoetry.com/haiku.htm
http://www.haikuhut.com/Haiku%20Definition.htm

Mb
xx

Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:04 am 
Violets-On-The-Sea

thank you that's very good!

Violets

Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Mairi bheag

My pleasure, violets.

Mb
xx

Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:16 pm 
dRED1

Thanks for this MB it's really informative Smile

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:51 am 
Mairi bheag

quote:
Originally posted by Ravenhairedgal:
Thanks for this MB it's really informative Smile

You're very welcome Rhg! Smile

Mb
xx

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:54 am 
Toots

Shocked Cool Ahem! I read your text repeatedly, which proves that I am no one to write about something that is not contrived in my brain. Having said that, I must admit further to doing a little creative work on my own. I am positive that I am flying in the face of traditional Haiku, perhaps so much that I will not be able to call my idea that. And, there is always the very real possibility that my new idea is not new, nor mine. We shall see...

Laughing Just for fun, I suggest the following:

A short poem, 3 lines. 13 syllables in 4-5-4 format. Now comes the fun part:

Line 1, 4 syllables: the first two words must rhyme. The last word must NOT rhyme with the first two.

Line 2, 5 syllables: the first word must rhyme with the last word of line 1. It cannot rhyme with any other word in this line, nor any other word in the poem. The last two words must rhyme with each other, but not with any words elsewhere in the poem.

Line 3, 4 syllables: the first word must rhyme with the last word of line 2. It cannot rhyme with any other word in this line, nor any other word in the poem. The last two words must rhyme with each other AND with the first two words of line 1.

Line 2 is a continuation or clarification of line 1. Line 3 tells the outcome of the first two lines' interaction. No conjunctions, no articles. Any subject is ok. No punctuation. Use as many words per line as you like, but no altering the syllables and pattern.

Embarassed Rolling Eyes And that is how I spent my morning...LOL..When you get a chance, please tell me what you think. Oh, btw.. my mels horoscope for the day:

"Why reinvent the wheel, especially when someone you admire has a clear blueprint for success? If you keep your eyes peeled, you'll see that the right teacher is already in your life. You just have to be ready."

Wink I didn't read it until I had already done this little exercise and posted this. hahahahaha on me!

Best-
Toni

Post Fri May 05, 2006 6:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Mairi bheag

((((((((((Toots))))))))))

Toni, welcome to mels, sister, and I am honoured to be here to pick up your first post.

1. It's ingenious!

2. You should get out more! Very Happy

Mb
xx

Post Fri May 05, 2006 7:13 pm 
Toots

Thanks for reading my long post. Here is an example of the poem. I forgot to post that when I posted the "rules' of conduct..lol

singing wings fly
high mountain bells tell
well wish brings spring

thanks again. Maybe I'll call it "Haiku for the Cerebrally Oriented" LOLOL...nah. Unnatural Haiku is good enough

You're too kind..

Post Fri May 05, 2006 7:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Mairi bheag

No, no, no - this goes well beyond the concept of "un-natural haiku" ( as explained on www.allpoetry.com - for the uninitiated ). This is something beautifully contrived, bearing only a formal likeness to haiku, and having a whole set of rules of its own. Run with it, see how far you get.

Mb
xx

Post Fri May 05, 2006 9:04 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: