BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> General Fiction

My Name is Lucy Completed 11/25/08
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Allison

Thanks Purple. I hope to wrap this up in the next few days. Thanks for reading along and giving me encouragement. Once finished, I am going back to read it myself Wink The challenge is to just write, no editing allowed so it should be interesting. Thanks again!

Alli

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Allison

Part Eleven
The next two weeks were filled with endless hours of preparation and hard work. After Dom called, Jenna and the kids along with volunteers from the center busied themselves cleaning, painting and preparing the shelter for opening. Jace, Cheyenne and Tagger scoured the community for donations and were rewarded with armfuls of supplies and linens.
Memphis, Dragon, Joker and Cheyenne moved into the shelter after the first night, leaving the hive behind for good. In some ways it was a sad occasion for them, like leaving home for the first time, but no one complained about having heat and a nice hot shower at the end of a long day.
Jenna was exhausted by the time they had the shelter ready for opening and after attending a Grand Opening event came home and collapsed on her bed. Jace was worried that she had over extended herself on the project.
“Hey, Sis, school starts back on Monday, so I think you should take the weekend off to catch up on some rest,” he told her that night.
“I hate to admit it, Jace, but you are right, I am exhausted. Joker has things well in hand, so I am going to just sleep the weekend away,” she said.
Jace doubted that would really happen, but he was at least encouraged by her willingness to relax. She had accomplished so much in such a short time, but now it was time to take care of her. “How would you like some Chinese tonight?” he asked.
“Chinese would be great,” Jenna said. “Do you mind going while I take a long, hot bath?” she asked.
“No, not at all, I will wait thirty minutes to give you plenty of time to soak,” he promised.
“Thanks, Jace.”
Jenna drew a hot bath and yelled at Jace when she was comfortably encased in soft bubbles. Jace walked in and sat on her bed while she soaked in the tub.
“Have I told you lately how proud I am to be your brother?” he said.
“That is so sweet, Jace, but I couldn’t have gotten this much done without you.”
“I was just the muscle, and feet, you were the brains behind the plan. I checked on the kids today and Nemo and Lucy are doing great and will also be starting school on Monday.”
“That is great news. How long do you think it will take Susan to arrange for the adoption?” she asked.
“Even though there is no family to contest, it will take weeks or a few months to get all the court dates and studies done,” he said. “The kids are where they need to be and are very happy so the adoption is just a formality.”
“Yes, I guess you are right. Cheyenne is supposed to come by tomorrow. I told her she could use our cell to call home and let them know her plans to return home.”
Jace smiled at Jenna. “In ways, I hate to see her go she has become a good friend.”
“I know, but her heart is back with her family. She only intended to stay until Christmas, but delayed her return until the shelter was opened, so she could be a part of it.”
“I wonder what she will do when she makes it home,” Jace said.
“I don’t know, but hopefully she will remain in touch with us or the shelter and keep us posted on her life,” Jenna said.
Jenna grew quiet and Jace snuck from the room to go get dinner, leaving her relaxing with her thoughts. She felt so good covered by the hot water and the scent of the bubbles was making her relaxed as she breathed deeply. She couldn’t be happier at how well things were going. Joker had recruited two kids off the streets and they had room for at least a dozen more. Hopefully as word spread of the shelter, the kids who really wanted help to change their lives would begin filtering in and taking advantage of the kindness they would receive from Joker and the volunteers.
It was time for Jenna to move on and finish her written project. She still had weeks to finish it before it was due to be turned in, but she did not want to rush and skimp on quality. She would focus the next month on finishing the study and could still visit the shelter frequently to see how things were going. Jenna was just about asleep in the tub when she heard Jace return.
He slipped inside her bedroom and said, “You are going to look like a prune for a week if you don’t get out soon. Dinner is here too, by the way.”
Jenna laughed at him. “I will be right out,” she said.
They shared a hearty meal and still had plenty of leftovers. “That woman sure does like to fill you up,” Jace said.
“Yes, she does. She always gave us extra food,” Jenna said, thinking back to the weeks she lived at the hive.
“The Change Bandit jars seem to be doing well. The one there is almost half full already.”
“I will have to work out a schedule with Joker to make the rounds to empty them out,” she said.
“That was such a great idea,” Jace said.
“I hope it will be enough to offset some of the costs of the shelter,” she said.
“If not, we will work on some fund raising activities,” he said.
Jenna stretched and said, “I think I am going to call it a night.”
“Sweet dreams, and rest well, you deserve it,” he said as Jenna left the room.
“Thanks, I will see you tomorrow.”
Jenna was able to sleep a great deal that weekend and recharge her batteries. It took another six weeks to finish her study to the quality she was pleased to submit. When she turned it in to her professor, she felt a huge weight lifted off her shoulders. No matter what grade the project would make for her, Jenna was satisfied that she had done her best and the benefits the kids were reaping were more than any grade could be. After dropping it off she went by the shelter.
“Hey Jenna,” Joker said when he looked up to see her entering.
“Hi there, I thought I would stop by to see how things are going.”
“Life is great,” Dragon said as she walked up behind Jenna. “Memphis and I are going to work a shift at Mama’s and to congratulate Tagger.”
“What is happening with him?” Jenna asked.
“The Art Department was so impressed with his portfolio they offered him a scholarship,” Memphis said.
“That is great news.”
“Yes, he has even cut his hair and looks totally different since he has been living at Mama’s,” Dragon said. “He’s been bussing tables and cleaning up for her and has bought himself a whole new wardrobe.”
“This I have got to see,” she said with a smile.
“We have also picked up another job,” Joker said.
“Really, what is it?” Jenna asked.
“Liz pays us to clean the bar every morning and allows us to take the bottles to the recycling for returns. It is a nice little project and barely takes a few hours each day.”
“That is fantastic,” she said.
“We have six kids now in the shelter and I have seen more I am trying to recruit. Oh and we got a letter from Cheyenne and she says to tell you hello and thank you again for everything.”
“How is she doing?”
“Fine, she has started attending the community college and seems to really enjoy being home. She promised to keep writing and maybe visit later this year.
“That would be great,” she said.
“Why don’t you come with us to Mama’s for some lunch,” Memphis said. “I know she would love to see you.”
“I think I will do just that. “I will drop by again later in the week Joker, but call if you need anything,” she said as she stood to follow Dragon and Memphis out of the shelter.
Mama was indeed pleased to see her and hugged her tightly when she entered. “It seems like forever since I have seen you,” she said.
“I have been working night and day on my study, but I finished and turned it in today,” she announced.
“That calls for celebration then,” Mama said.
“What are we celebrating?” Tagger said as he entered the room.
Jenna was completely shocked with his change of appearance. Tagger looked like a totally different young man.
“The completion of my study and your new look,” Jenna said with a wink. “You look fantastic.”
“Thanks,” Tagger said with a blush.
“I hear we also need to celebrate you winning a scholarship,” she said.
“Yes, I am so excited,” he said. “I can’t wait to start classes in a few weeks.”
Mama returned from the kitchen with a tray of wine glasses, a bottle of wine and some crusty bread. Memphis prepared plates of spices and olive oil to dip the bread in as Mama sat the tray down and popped the cork on the bottle. She poured each of them a glass of wine and passed them around the table.
“Here’s to a wonderful future for some of the world’s best children,” Mama said.
“I’ll drink to that,” Tagger said as their glasses came together with a soft clink in the middle of the table.
Jenna celebrated with them for an hour until the lunch crowd started filing in. “I will see you all soon,” she said as she headed for the door.
As Jenna crossed the park, her mind was busy remembering the times she had shared with the kids when she was living in the hive with them. Then she thought of each one of them and where they were in their lives today and she felt an extreme sense of pride. She was filled with such deep love for the kids that she had forgotten all about her surroundings.
Jenna’s thoughts were rushed back to reality when the sounds of screaming brought her from her reverie. She stopped in her tracks and barely had time to turn her head to see a car approaching her as she stood in the middle of the street. She could see the panic in the driver’s eyes as he tried to brake and steer away from her, his brakes failing on the slippery ice.
In the flash of the moment, Jenna knew that her time was here and that she had accomplished what she had been sent to do. As the car barreled down on her, she smiled at the driver. She knew he would be devastated but, she would do her best to let him know everything was right in her world. She never felt the bumper as it struck her legs sending her body crashing into the car’s windshield where she came to rest.
The driver was finally able to stop the vehicle and jumped from his car as a crowd of spectators gathered around. “Someone call 911,” he screamed as he jumped onto the car to cradle Jenna in his arms.
“Oh my God I am so sorry, I did not see you,” he cried.
“It wasn’t your fault,” Jenna said. “It is my time and I am ready. Please do not feel sad, because I am going home.”
“Please just hang in there, the paramedics will be here soon,” the man pleaded as he heard sirens screaming in the distance.
“It is okay,” Jenna said as she lifted her hand to his cheek. “It is my time to go,” she said and with a sweet smile, her eyes closed and her hand fell limply to her side.
He continued cradling her lifeless body until the paramedics arrived and pried him loose. The police had also arrived on the scene and were gathering information from the witnesses who had observed the event.
The man was sitting on the curb, his face buried in his hands to hide his tears when he heard Jenna’s voice one last time in his head. “It’s my time to go,” she had said so calmly and with such a sweet smile. He would never forget the events of what had just occurred, nor would he forget the complete acceptance of the fate Jenna had received on that cold, snowy afternoon.
He lifted his head to watch the ambulance pull away, lights and sirens off as they carried her lifeless body to the hospital.

Part Twelve
The news of her death crushed her small community initially, until Jace was able to talk to the man who had been driving the car. When Jace heard what her words were to him, he knew then that everything was as it should be and Jenna was home.
When their parents arrived, Joker asked permission to have a memorial service at the shelter, before her body was flown back to Tennessee.
There was no way they could refuse his request and so the consented agreeing to a service that would be held two days later. Jace had spent hours the night before explaining the shelter and her project to their parents and they were able to grasp the importance of the kids to Jenna. They would not deny them their opportunity for a goodbye.
At the service, each child was allowed to speak of anything they wished and it was not long before the small crowd was filled with tears as Lucy and Nemo were the first to speak. When everyone had their chance, Joker stepped up to the small podium and picked up the framed picture of Jenna.
He choked back tears as he began to speak. “If ever an angel was sent to earth it was Jenna. She entered the lives of seven complete strangers one cold night and gave them love and hope for their future.” His heads were visibly shaking as he continued. “She wasn’t satisfied with just improving their lives and developed a plan to help others in their times of greatest need when she envisioned this shelter,” he said, spreading his arms wide. “There was nothing for her to gain by finding such a loving home for Nemo and Lucy, or enabling Tagger and Dragon to chase their dreams of going to college or to build the dream with Memphis of a little house with a white picket fence.” Tears were streaming down his face as he brought the picture to his chest. “What started out as a school project, turned into one of life’s most important lessons, the gift and acceptance of unconditional love. Jenna will always rest in a special place in our hearts and her love will continue to touch people through the work of the shelter.” He reached for Dragon’s hand and pulled her close. “This place was her dream and we will be renaming the shelter to Jenna’s Haven in her honor.” Joker looked at both her parents and ended his speech by saying, “Thank you for sending us God’s most precious gift.”
Jace stepped forward in front of the crowd. “Cheyenne could not make it back in time for the service, but she sent this and asked that I share it all with you,” he said. He cleared his throat and began to read.
“In God’s steps we walk each day, and we were blessed that his steps brought you into our lives. You touched each one of us in your special way and we will carry the love you gave us forever as you live on in our hearts.” Jace looked up from the paper, tears filling his eyes as he read the last line. “I love you Jenna and will do my best to share your love and dreams with those that you have so deeply touched their lives.”
Jace folded the paper neatly and walked back to stand beside his parents.
He would return to Tennessee with them to bury his twin and then come back to finish school.
Jace and Joker became close friends as they worked together at the shelter and when graduation day came, Jace could feel his sister love and presence in the seven sets of eyes that stared up at him from the crowd as he made his Valedictorian speech in her honor.
The End.

Woohoo. Glad that is finished. Thanks for the reads and the lovely posts of encouragement ladies!!

Alli

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
PipSqueak

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Well Done Alli, thnk u v.much 4 sharing this story, how did you get on the subject?

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:36 pm 
Allison

Dunno for sure Purple, just kinda popped into my head when the challenge came up and I decided to go a little more mainstream. Glad you liked it and thanks for all your posts.

Alli

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:49 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Not so sure i liked that ending Alli but well done on the whole thing, readable, interesting and it flowed.

HugZ, Noni

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:27 pm 
Allison

Thanks Noni Wink

Alli

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:39 pm 
ThatGirlFierce

wow this story is amazing i just spent the last few hours reading it non stop.. i am just so blown away it truly was inspiring Very Happy Arrow

Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:32 am 
Allison

Thanks TGF, it was a fun, fast write and a very good exercise.

Alli

Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:21 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: