BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> General Fiction

the story behind the willow tree...

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
goldenwillow

the story behind the willow tree...

I have a story to tell you, children. It takes place a very long time ago. There lived two sisters of a certain Native American tribe. These young sisters were very close, never leaving each other’s side. One sunny day, the sisters were sent to pick berries. Laughing and talking along the way, they strolled lazily along the riverside. How surprised they were when they looked up to find a mighty bear towering above them. Frightened, they ran as fast as they could. Willow could hear her sister’s footsteps close behind as she ran along the river’s edge, back to their village. Willow concentrated on running as fast as her legs could move. For age ten, both sisters were extremely skilled at running. Willow became more confident that they were outrunning the bear with every step. Abruptly, she heard her sister’s footsteps stop. She turned her head to see that the earth near the river had given way, and watched in horror: her sister had fallen into the river and was being taken upstream. Then she heard a terrifying roar from the bear still in pursuit. Not knowing what to do, she dashed toward home…miraculously escaping the bear. The tribesman of the village responded quickly when they saw Willow was alone. They searched and searched and searched for Willow’s beloved sister, but she was nowhere to be found.

The months faded into a full year, and Willow was inconsolable. She cried and mourned for her lost sister, spending hours each day by the river to be near her sister’s spirit. Her mother, father, and even the Shaman tried everything they could think of to help her to cope.

One day, her animal spirit guide (a mighty eagle) visited her. “My dear child,” the spirit guide started. “I will give you one wish, any wish you want, to ease your troubled heart.”
Willow sat thoughtfully on a nearby rock, and contemplated what she wanted. She thought about asking for her sister back, but knew that one day in the future one would die. She would never wish this pain on her sister, and could never experience this pain a second time. After much thoughtful reflection, Willow knew her wish: “Spirit guide”, she wished, “I wish to spend forever on the banks of this river as a tall and mighty tree with my sister’s spirit, and mourn for all those who have lost a loved one”. In this way, Willow thought, others can go on in life, knowing that their loved one is sufficiently mourned.

Willow’s wish was granted, and to this day the tree, known as the Weeping Willow tree, stands by the bank of this river. And grandmothers tell their grandchildren, who grow to tell their children, that if a tall and mighty Weeping Willow tree can stand for an eternity by the unsteady banks of the river, certainly they possess the strength to move on through any suffering.

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:48 pm 
fortheloveofagood...
Site Admin

smiles at willow...

spirit indeed....

thanks for sharing, this made me think of those whom are no longer with me on the earth plane, and how i feel closer to them, and feel the space between us is smaller when out in the vibrant outdoors...

kx

'don't hate your enemies, it clouds your judgement'

~peace comes from knowing only love is real~

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:43 am 
mercurial

Willow, I have always loved native american folktales. If you know of anymore please share them. They are great .
thanks,
Merc

I think therefore I am

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:09 pm 
Mairi bheag

goldie, that was great! Smile

Mb
xx

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:14 pm 
goldenwillow

THANK YOU VERY MUCH LOVELY LADIES!! Very Happy

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:21 pm 
joanie

Willow

What a very nice story.

I hope you'll share more.

Joanie

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:25 pm 
Lycoris

Golden,

Very nice. I love native amercian fold stories too! I read everyone I could as a kid. Have several books that I love to sit down and read every now and then just to keep them fresh.

One of favorites is the only child that dreams of seven brothers.

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:30 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: