BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> General Fiction

Escape

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Alegria

Escape

My first addition to the vast library of stories to be found here. Please let me know what you think.

Escape

It tumbles down from the sky, white and cold. Stark against the grey clouds. The sun set long ago, the moon rising only to be hidden. The hills in the distance, once emerald green, are spotted with yellow and brown. The chill weather killed the grass, cutting off much needed nourishment. Now it cracks beneath your feet with every step you take.

You can see nothing beyond those hills, everything blending and mixing in the swirling white flecks. The memory of mountains is gone, gone with the sun below the horizon. They will appear again, both the mountains and the sun to light them, but at this point in time they do not exist. Your breath forms misty puffs before your face as you walk, trying to find your way.

You are lost. You know you are; deep in your heart you know you will never find your way again. This is the path you chose, on that day so long ago. A wanderer you are now, with nowhere to go, nowhere to return. At one point you did not give it a thought. But now, amidst the cold snow and bitter wind, you yearn for a fire and a home. A place to be, a place where you are loved.

You turn your head toward the dark sky. The moon is hidden behind those thick black clouds, none of its silver light penetrating to guide you. And yet you do not care. You do not know your way, but with no spark left in your soul you cannot even bring yourself to care. The darkness, the whiteness of the snow and ice, holds no worry for you. You have nothing left. Nothing in the world.

The snow hits your face, numbing your nose, your ears, your lips. It gathers in your hair, now no longer melting as it hits the frozen flesh of your neck. It is then that you can feel it coming, creeping through that darkness without a sound. You have spent so much time running from it, but now, as you finally acknowledge your fate, you turn to face it.

You wish you could scream, cry out for it to stop. But there is nothing – no one – to hear you. No way to stop it now. Your energy is spent. All of it, from the very core of your soul to the extremities of your physical body. There is no fight left in you.

You fall to the snow that has already gathered on the dead grass, your knees almost unable to support your slender weight. The trees you just left seem so far away, fading out in the whiteness behind you. You can see nothing now but the dark hopelessness of the night, the snow twirling dizzily as it travels down from the heavens. Despair is heavy inside you, pressing on you until you have no choice but to fall to your back, lest you burst in agony.

The feeling left your fingers long ago, but the palms of your hands touch upon the icy ground. You are slowly covered in a thin blanket of snow, snow that you cannot feel as the rest of your body goes numb. The darkness swoops to encompass you, knowing your time has come. All you can see now is the black sky, those white flecks soaring through the air. Everything is silent. You cannot even hear your heart beating. The shadows you gave your life to fending off have closed in for the last time. There is no hope now, no way you can escape. But by now you do not care. You have no one to miss you, and in return nothing to miss.

You feel death close around you, wrapping you in its bitter embrace. Your soul, weak as it is at this last moment of your life, lifts against your chest. There is no pain, no fleeting desperation. Snow feels thick and heavy upon your face, the ground hard and unforgiving beneath you. This is your fate. After your struggles and biting defeats, you are finally ready to give in. The darkness hovers above you, quickly and quietly falling as your breathe your last breath. And there, alone in the frost-bitten night, your spirit leaves you, your body dies as death takes hold.

The snow tumbles down from the sky, white and cold. Stark against the grey clouds. Now the moon has set, the sun rising to be hidden. A fragile light illuminates your pale and lifeless body, and you are not there to see it. Ice sparkles in your hair, in your eyelashes. This is a winter that you will never see the end of. Forever will you be trapped in that dark night, the night that claimed your life as its own.

You yearned for an escape. Now you will never find it.

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:45 am 
desperatelyinlove

Alegria,

I'm not even sure how to explain my feelings about this piece. I really enjoyed the emotion portrayed and could actually relate to the entire story. There is so much imagery, that at times, I felt as if I was actually in the wilderness with her. This was a magnificent write and I hope to see more from you.

Desperatelyinlove

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:02 am 
Allison

Welcome to the story boards Alegria. Great story. Will be looking for more from you soon.

Alli

Last edited by Allison on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:34 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Alegria

Oh, thank you both so much! I really appreciate your compliments. ^_^

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:46 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: