BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Lesbian Love Stories

Hazel and Tania – Part 1 [F]:

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
femmefantale

Hazel and Tania – Part 1 [F]:

Hazel and Tania had been friends since high school, off and on, for twenty years. At school, Hazel had been fair, auburn-haired, with an intelligent face and sharp, green eyes. She loathed sports. Tania was drawn to her because she appeared to be an alter ego to her more dominant personality. Tania was athletic, pretty and quick-witted. Hazel was lively with trusted friends, but more withdrawn with Tania. She had been a little wary of her occasional sharp tongue and sarcasm. Hazel enjoyed Tania's off-the -wall humour, and her ability to coax her from her usual sobriety. But their relationship at school had largely been causal, often depending on the circumstances of mutual friends. They weren't particularly close.

Their friendship had endured though, despite its fleeting nature. They had managed to avoid one another's upheavals; births, deaths, marriages. Generally, they met up during the lulls, and easily took up where they had left off, so that in the space of a few moments since they had last spoken to each other, a husband and child had been acquired, a parent had been lost and grieved, a marriage had been tested, hard lessons and new bitternesses learned. Each time they met, they gleaned from each other's appearance how life had treated them. Hazel's bright green eyes, which had been much envied by Tania at school, were increasingly dulled and world-weary. She seemed a little more nervous and brittle. Tania wondered, in turn, how she appeared.

This time, they met in a Sydney shopping mall; shouting in surprise and hugging one another. "Are you still living in Neutral Bay?" asked Tania. "No, we're at Milsons Point. I'll have to give you our new number. Are we having lunch?" Hazel indicated a nearby coffee shop "Yes, that'd be nice. We've got a lot to catch up on." They found a good spot and sat down, in a corner booth. It was quiet and the lighting pleasantly muted. "Milsons Point? Wow, pretty area. So Gerald's still working for the NAB?" "He's the bank manager there, now" Hazel said, matter-of-factly, twisting a sugar bag around in her fingers as they spoke. Her voice had acquired a tired, hoarse edge over the years; sounding of scotch and cigarettes. "You've just got the one child still ... William?" "Yes, we only had the one." Tania said firmly. She was now divorced, but wasn't ready to volunteer any more at this stage. Hazel nodded in sage agreement, narrowing her eyes a little as though scanning for more information. She continued to gaze candidly. "We've got four now, Chloe's the latest... she's two now. I can't remember whether I told you last." She suddenly changed tack. "Isn't it funny, how we keep bumping into each other. I often wonder how Claire and Susan are. And all the others..." her voice trailed off then, as the waiter came up. They ordered lunch, and continued in the same vein for a while. "So you're still working?" Tania nodded. "Yep." "Still in the tax office?" "Yep". "God, that's been a while!" Hazel's fingers were nervously worrying the sugar bag. "You'll rip that in a minute" her friend admonished her, in her school-yard style. Hazel smiled, a sweet, hesitant lopsided grin that didn't reach her eyes. Tania felt a familiar lurch. "I've always got to fiddle with something, since I gave up smoking.” "I didn't know you started" Tania said, and they both laughed softly together, before falling into a silence.

It had been five years since they last met. At that stage, Hazel had only the three children, and Tania was still with Derek. So much had happened. Tania tried to revive the last five years, clicking images over like a rolodex, but everything seemed washed out. One blurred image on top of another; a half-remembered word or indistinct tableau, all diluted to the barest essence. Luckily Hazel didn’t ask too much. They chatted about their respective jobs, a safe topic.

There were unspoken tensions between them. Imagined wounds. A small incident had taken on a significance probably not deserved when they had been at school. There had been a party, and all of their combined group were invited. Tania had been oddly excited about it, and looked forward to it for days. There were a few boys going, but generally it was to be a girl's night in, with a sleep-over. Hazel had unexpectedly arrived with Gerald, her boyfriend at that stage. This had been a bolt for Tania, who had been shocked to see them together, and openly kissing. She remembered how despondent she had felt, and the dull anger she felt towards Hazel because of it. Tania had had a few boyfriends, but these had been short-lived affairs, entered into and ended with equal disregard. She was generally relieved when the relationships eventually petered out. At the party, Tania watched with conflicting emotions as Hazel and Gerald petted together with the ease of practised lovers. They were easy in each other's company, proud with love, and Tania found the whole experience wrenching. She had always felt that Hazel had in some way, asserted some triumph over Tania.

"Gerald's been there 15 years now." Hazel was saying. "Well, good on him. Isn't that amazing. He was your first boyfriend wasn't he." Tania remembered Gerald as a fast-talking man with a round, cheerful face, prone to chubbiness. "Yes, we were lucky, I suppose. It worked out well enough. I guess I'm just lazy" Hazel allowed another twisted smile, which trembled quickly then died. Tania felt with disquiet the sudden shift in their relationship. Did her friend feel sorry for her? Tania's feelings of superiority during their teenage years now appeared to mock her. Tania had been vaguely aware of a growing pressure, a sensation spreading from her knee and travelling along her thigh. Hazel's knee was touching hers. She remembered from school, how Hazel's hand would casually rest on her leg, and set it shaking. She never seemed to notice. The coffee shop was mercifully dark, and she was thankful for this anonymity as her emotions teetered. Hazel was gazing steadily at her over her cup of coffee; she seemed to be waiting. Tania glared back, sipping on her own coffee, as her knee grew steadily hot. Tania felt her face flush. "How's Derek?" Hazel asked suddenly. Tania stammered a little, explaining they were no longer together. Hazel reached over and patted her hand gently. Her fingers felt dry and warm. "I'm sorry to just ask like that. So it's just you and William on your own? Hazel asked kindly, withdrawing her hand, her eyes glinting in the dark. Tania nodded. "We're OK, you know. He goes to day care when I'm at work. He's happy there "So where are you living now?" "Lindfield." “Well, that's not all that far away ..." Hazel let the sentence drop, as she finished her sandwiches. "We're not going dutch, are we? Let me pay. You can pay next time." Hazel was getting ready to leave. "If you're not busy right now, how about coming over to my place?" She had placed her handbag on the table in front of her, and clasped her hands in front, leaning forward. She was looking steadily at Tania, waiting. For one brief instant Tania had considered a cool rebuke. "I'd love to" she said, and gathered up her handbag.

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:48 am 
angelsheart

Pretty nice story indeed, girl! Bravo!

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Redsy

nice story so far, is there any more?

Very Happy

Exclamation

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:43 pm 
aidyl

What ever happened to Tania and Hazel?

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:28 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: