BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Emotional Lesbian Stories

Piece by Piece

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
combatbaby

Piece by Piece

Kale took a long drag from her cigarette and let the feel of it linger in her throat, grainy and harsh, before slowly letting the breath she’d been holding on to go. The blue-grey smoke coiled in the air, stretching and clawing toward the street lamp above her before dissipating into the shadows of the surrounding night. Her eyes were closed to the said darkness but she was listening to the sounds of it – a hypnotic orchestra of crickets, the wind, and other unknown things of the twilight. Leaning against her 1996 Toyota and having this moment by herself, just her and her cigarette and the autumn night, she could only grin softly at the tranquility of it. After a long, fast-paced shift working at the Explosivisibility café and gallery these few minutes of quiet were just what she craved.

Alas, it wasn’t to last. The world seemed to rush back in on Kale as a frantic beeping came from her pocket causing her to startle and her eyes to flash open, alert and curious. With a sigh at the lost calm she flicked her smoldering cigarette to the ground and crushed it, reaching into her back pocket for the cell phone that was demanding her attention.

“Hello?” Her resigned irritation must have shown in her voice because there was a slight pause before the caller spoke.

“Kale?” The feminine voice on the line seemed to tremor with uncertainty and kale found herself frowning as she tried to identify the familiar yet unfamiliar voice.

“This is her.” She replied, hoping the caller would identify herself.

“It’s Sheryl. Andrea’s Mom?” Bingo. However, instead of feeling relieved at the knowledge, Kale’s frown deepened instead. She and Andrea had been seeing other nearly two years ago but certain… issues had eventually crept up between the two of them and, having had enough, Kale had finally pushed out of the relationship. Why would her mother be trying to contact her now? She swallowed somewhat apprehensively before replying.

“Oh! Well, hi Sheryl. I have to admit, I’m a bit surprised to be hearing from you. What’s up?”

A nervous laugh came from the other side of the line and Kale didn’t fail to note that the woman’s voice still shook slightly when she answered. “Not too much on my part, still gardening and taking care of the household, you know what it’s like.” That much was true, Kale thought – Andrea’s mom always was a busy body on the ranch she co-owned. Sheryl continued. “Anyways, it’s a miracle I was able to find your number. I thought I’d never get a hold of you.”

Towards the end of the sentence Sheryl’s voice seemed to crack. Something was wrong. Andrea?

“Is everything alright, Sheryl?” Kale tentatively asked.

There was a long moment of silence before a shaking breath could be heard – Kale felt a cold shiver crawl down her spine as the once calm air around her suddenly felt charged with tension. She could have sworn that Andrea’s mother was desperately trying to suppress sobbing into the phone.

She failed.

“It’s… It’s terrifying Kale! It’s Andrea…” The cold shiver turned into an icy stone that sank down in her chest. “She went missing a few months ago and I got a call from the hospital last week – she was found on a park bench all doped up on pills. She’s… she’s not the same at all. I tried to talk to her but she’s so wild and angry and… and…” kale felt a sense of numb chill flood her as Sheryl dissolved into an obvious fit of tears – her gasps of despair punctuating the night from the receiver.

Andrea wild and angry? Kale had only ever known her as someone gentle and kind, sweet and almost child-like in her enthusiasm towards the world. What had happened?

“Listen, Sheryl.” Kale found her mouth had become dry and it was hard to speak. What had happened to the tranquility of ten minutes ago? “I know this must be extremely… difficult for you, but why are you calling me about it?”

Amongst the sobbing and sniffling she managed to stagger a response. “She... I don’t know. I just don’t know who else to turn to, Kale. I don’t know anyone who’s ever been closer to her than you… could… you just go in and try to talk to her? Or something? Anything?”

Kale’s jaw tensed. “Sheryl… you know that Andrea and I didn’t part on very good terms…”

“Please! She needs someone and she’s shut everyone else out – she’s getting out of the hospital later this week and I don’t know what will happen to her… I’m so scared… Can it hurt you just to try?”

A stark silence followed the question. It can hurt my heart, Kale thought with a grimace. However, it only took a few moments for her to make a decision.

“Alright... I’ll go.”

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:41 am 
muddy1

I love your signature! And this story! Keep it up, I'm intrigued.

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:58 am 
combatbaby

Thanks Muddy Smile. Just as a side note, this story is going to periodically bounce back and forth through time, so italics are going to be used for the past while normal font will be used for present.

…July 19th, 2004…

The sun glared from its clear blue haven in the sky, not a whisper of a breeze to keep it from scorching the urban sprawl beneath it with its gaze. The intense heat made the air above the pavement practically shimmer as though it was squirming in discomfort. Sitting in the barely helpful shade of a large maple tree in a park, a twenty-year-old Kale could only empathize with it. She nudged her glasses up her nose as they had slipped down yet again and a well-thumbed copy of “The Lovely Bones” lay forgotten in her lap. It was too hot to concentrate on reading. She sighed and closed her eyes, desperately wishing for some kind of relief but it didn’t seem to be coming.

Faintly, Kale heard a rustling in front of herself. She opened her eyes and her mouth dropped open in shock as two unfamiliar bright blue eyes stared back at her from barely a foot away; a Cheshire Cat grin below them. It took a second before her body caught up to her brain and with a surprised gasp Kale shoved herself back, interjecting the otherwise quiet park with a loud “What the HELL!”

The young woman in front of her only laughed uproariously as Kale scrambled back several feet and stood up from the grass, staring at the laughing girl like she was a madwoman. A couple of passersby glanced curiously at the commotion before continuing on their way. Having created some respectable space between herself and the girl, Kale could only stare at her as her own heart jumped frightfully inside her chest.

She was undeniably cute, laughing wildly as she was. A dark green cap crowned her mop of wavy blonde hair and she was dressed in an eclectic mix of a sky blue scarf, white tank top, and a super-loose pair of paint spattered cargo shorts that were barely held to her slim figure by a thick, multicolored belt. Gasping for breath between bouts of laughter, she managed to get a short sentence out.

“Your expression was sooo priceless!”

Kale was dumbfounded and could only stand there like a deer caught in the headlights of a truck. It took almost a minute for the girl to settle down. Her cheeks flushed and smiling brightly, she stepped forward and extended her hand towards Kale.

“My name’s Andrea. What’s your name?”

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:36 am 
Allison

Yay Cb!! It is good to see you back online and writing too. A wonderful start to your story. I hope you will find time to add to it soon. Will be watching for more.

Alli

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
combatbaby

Thanks Ally Very Happy I've noticed some of your own works as well. Awesome stuff you've been doing! i'll have to comment when i'm all caught up on them. Hope you enjoy this latest update.

The cold autumn mist hit Kale like a slap across the face as she opened her car door the next morning and stepped out from its comforting warmth. She shivered, both from the freezing, damp breeze and from her nerves. It had taken her nearly ten minutes of sitting in the parking lot and looking at the large, grey facility in front of her before she even got the will power to turn off the ignition and step out. As much as she’d cared about Andrea at one point, she had to admit to herself that she didn’t want to be here at all. It was like bringing a ghost back from its cold tomb in her heart when it had been peacefully resting there for many months. It didn’t want to be dug up.

Shrugging her shoulders as if it could shake off the chill feeling, Kale walked into the front doors of the building into the equally drab, white foyer. There seemed to be relatively few people in for some reason, though she wasn’t complaining. She hated lineups. Walking up to a rather tired looking secretary who was drowsily looking through a ‘Cosmopolitan’ magazine, she cleared her throat. The secretary gazed up from her article to Kale with one eyebrow raised almost-but-not-quite challengingly.

“Can I help you?”

“Yeah, I’m here to visit Andrea Carter.” Kale managed to mumble “She apparently arrived here a couple days ago?...”

For just a second a spark of recognition appeared in the secretary’s eyes and her eyebrow seemed to twitch up just a little higher. The moment passed though and she wearily nodded, starting to flip through a few papers on her desk while Kale looked down at the grey tile floor and shuffled her feet uncomfortably.

“You family or just a friend?” The secretary asked while filling in various blank spaces on a form.

“Friend” Kale replied, not looking up.

“Your name?”

“Kale Blacquiere”

A few more moments passed as she listened to the scribbling of the pen on paper. The cold feeling was sinking deeper into her bones every second, how she would have liked to have just turned around and… No. I made a promise to Sheryl… and what kind of person would I be to walk out on Andrea in her moment of need? This isn’t about me..

“Okay, paperwork’s all done.” The secretary suddenly stated, jerking Kale from the private hell of her thoughts. “Just sign on the line here and then go to the second floor and give it to the ward attendant. He or she will show you to her room.”

Kale swallowed hard before signing the line as if she were singing off the rights to her own immortal soul. She then picked it up and delicately held it between her long fingers. Pianists hands, Andrea had once called them… .

“Sorry, but where are the bathrooms?” Kale asked the secretary, who didn’t even bother to look up from the magazine this time.

“Down the hall to your left, nearby the stairwell.”

Kale mumbled a thank you before stiffly walking away. She strode down the fluorescent white corridor, each step weighted with the lead of apprehension, before pushing into the bathroom and walking up to the sink. Taking off her square, black rimmed glasses, she turned the tap to cold, let it run for a minute, and then leaned over to splash the water against to her face. The icy water shocked her senses from the stupor of her anxiety and she took a long, deep breath.

Why am I afraid to do this?

She splashed her face a few more times before turning off the tap and patting herself dry with some paper towel. Putting her glasses back on, she looked at her reflection in the mirror. Cool green eyes gazed back at her beneath choppy bangs and her pale face looked almost calm, despite the thin line her lips had formed. Her dark hair was spiked into an edgy fauxhawk and she looked about ready to pounce – her arms braced against the counter and head low between her shoulders.

Maybe choosing to wear a black, long sleeved shirt had been a bad idea, she mused. Dark jeans too. Somber colors to be wearing considering the fact she was supposed to be trying to cheer Andrea up, or help her out, or… or what? Christ… I don’t even know what I’m doing here! she thought. Only her red and white checkered scarf looked cheerful. With a sigh she stood up straight and rolled her shoulders. It was time to try and relax and just do this, whatever this was, she decided.

After a few moments of confusion in the hallway Kale managed to find the stairs and she made her way up to the second floor. After spending a few more minutes wandering around white hallways that all looked kind of the same and a few curious glances from the small number of patients and nurses walking by she finally found the unit she needed. She walked up to the ward’s front desk and handed her slip to the attendant behind it. He scanned over it briefly, glancing up at her with an expression she couldn’t quite place before reaching for his phone and paging a nurse to come take her to Andrea’s room. Was it pity? she wondered.

A plump, auburn-haired nurse came to the desk and smiled brightly at Kale.

“You must be Kale,” She said, checking her clipboard “We’ve been expecting you.” She must have seen the surprise that immediately came to Kale’s face because she quickly followed up.

“Andrea’s mother has been keeping us, er, very informed as to anything revolving around her daughter. She called late last night to say you’d be stopping by.”

“Ah. I See.” Kale replied, quietly wondering just how late Sheryl had called. She decided not to be too curious and refrained from asking.

“Well. Right this way then!” The nurse cheerfully exclaimed. Almost too cheerfully. It felt artificial. Or practiced. Like this Nurse had been working here a little too long and had turned happiness into a habit she could summon with the snap of her fingers.

After walking through a couple of safety doors they strode briskly down a hallway, this one a very pale shade of muddy green as compared to the white walls everywhere else. It was hardly an improvement to the décor, however. If anything, it was more nauseating. It took only a minute to arrive to a door labeled as “2E”.

“This is Andrea’s room.” The nurse stated matter-of-factly “The two of you can talk here or there’s a lounge for this ward at the very end of the hall you can go to. There’s security nearby just in case she gets a bit too rowdy, since she has been a bit unpredictable. Anyways, I hope you have a good visit!” Then, with a flash of a smile, the lively nurse turned around and walked back towards the main desk, leaving Kale to herself.

She just stared at the door, all of the confidence she’d tried to regain ten minutes ago slipping away from her like sand between her fingers. It was like her thoughts had flat-lined and she was paralyzed in a sort of blank mental stasis she couldn’t move out from. Yet, she did move. As though it had a will of its own, her left hand moved up and knocked on the edge of the frame while her other grasped and then gently twisted the handle. Hardly daring to breathe, her eyes closing gently for a moment as though afraid to look, she reopened them and pushed open the door to step inside.

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:26 am 
Allison

Exellent CB. Well worth the wait, but please add more soon!

Alli

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
EverydayAngelKarie

too bad this seems unfinished, i really enjoyed it. however, i suppose this could be the ending, just a very mysterious one, and maybe that's the point, but, i'm not sure. anyway, good story, Exclamation .

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: