BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Spiritual Intervention

Free-Less Pt. 2

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Beth

Free-Less Pt. 2

Part 2
Dom could struggle with anything else except condemnation and rejection from those important figures in her life that she felt compelled to respect. It was very hard for her to walk away from abusive situations if she held the person in high regard, she would usually blame herself for the conflict instead of getting to the root of the real issues. It was amazing really that she was not more in tune with her own needs and desires, she had majored in Psychology and studied all the Social Sciences among other things in her beginning years in College. People always intrigued her and the way minds worked was always her most fascinating topic, and yet she was vaguely aware of the seething cauldron that lay buried in her own unconsciousness, every now and then it would erupt taking her by surprise to places she never knew existed. Today would be one of those days.
Mr. Hinkle was still waiting for her and as he saw her walking towards the building from her office window, he could hardly contain his anger. Mr. Hinkle was responsible for making sure that Dominique’s placements followed the accepted protocols and guidelines as stipulated in her contracts with his firm. He always secretly thought that trying to work with indigent, poor and uneducated women was a waste of everyone’s time. Work First programs were put in place with the express purpose of placing women that could not or would not handle their financial obligations by gaining employment opportunities provided to them through the agency. Dominique was well aware of his animosity towards her attempts to give them a second chance and it gave her the resolve and courage she needed to face him in their quarterly meetings. But she was not always able to deal with his personal attacks against her and she thought that today would be no different. She walked into her office to glaring eyes that made her feel like she should have had a veil over her face to cover her nakedness. “Good morning, Mr.Hinkle, I am so sorry for the delay” said Dominique in a very quiet voice. She wore her favorite blue blouse to give her a boost, but it didn’t help her to sit still under his penetrating stare as he reached for his briefcase. “Yes, indeed you should be sorry Ms. Forest, I am a very busy person and I have many other appointments that I must keep in a timely manner, but I can see you know nothing about punctuality”, he said without taking his eyes off her for even one second.
Mr. Hinkle was a very odd character he reminded Dominique of a cartoon character. He was very tall with long legs and the red hair and freckles reminded her exactly of Archie, except he had Hitler’s mustache and Saddam Hussein’s menacing eyes. He was certainly a sinister presence in her life and she thrived on managing to survive his visits with her dignity intact. If she could face him and not let him get under her skin she was very proud of her accomplishment for a long time. It was an ego booster for her to not let him break her resolve and she grew stronger each time. “Yes, yes of course you are very busy today and I am very sorry for the delay, but as you know I am not usually late for your meetings but things do happen, can we get started now so you can keep your schedule intact?” said Dominique.
She knew it would not ease his apprehension he constantly looked for reasons to undermine her and her program. This was the opportunity he had been waiting for and she knew he wasn’t about to let her off the hook that easy, after all he had baited his hook and he intended to catch a big fish today. “You know this is just an indication that your placements just don’t have what it takes to be successful in today’s marketplace and business world. Your numbers were down last quarter and the quarter before wasn’t much better, I’m afraid that if there isn’t some improvement we will have to rescind some of your contracts with some of our clientele.” Dominique looked him straight in his eyes and said, “Mr. Hinkle I assure you that the young ladies I place with your clients are well trained and eager to work, as you know it is a very lengthy process and we do not place anyone that is not adequately prepared to handle their assignments”. She continued her monologue in a more determined voice, “ Numbers, are not as important to me as the well being and self confidence of the women that enter these doors hoping to turn their world around, but I assure you that I will raise the percentage of assignments as I told you before by the next quarter”. Mr. Hinkle raised his voice and said, “I will have to report these deficiencies in a timely manner Ms. Forest and you will receive a copy of my recommendations to the Board for your review and consideration. I think this is more than fair to inform you of my intentions so that you can plan accordingly, and please plan to be on time for our next meeting- good day to you”. With this he barged out of her office in a mad dash to go to his next appointment like the white rabbit of Alice in Wonderland, he was always trying to keep up with time, but it was something that always let him down. Ironically, Dominique was usually never late or absent for her appointments and having to deal with him the first thing in the morning was sure to set a dark tone for the rest of the day.
Rachel saw Mr. Hinkle leave and speed away in his car and wondered how Dominique was after this latest attack. She felt special to have been with her the longest and secretly believed they were meant for each other. Rachel held the most seniority in the office, she was there when it was nothing more than one office with a door and lots of paper everywhere. Dominique had actually taught her how to type as she learned to master any computer application. She always encouraged her to keep growing and learning no matter what. In Rachel’s mind, Dominique’s philosophy of being free to be what we will was still what motivated her to tackle things she didn’t understand. She remembered when Dominique told her that there is nothing you can’t do, if a human wrote the instruction manual – you can read it and figure out what you need to do. She always told me not to be afraid of anything I had to learn, because all things are hard to learn at first, until you start to really try and apply yourself. Rachel truly admired her friend and supervisor and she tried to be a shoulder for her, but Dominique would never show the need for comfort. Rachel was in her mid-thirties and had two children to take care of and when her husband was sent to the war in Iraq he was one of the first to come home with a flag on his coffin. She thought her whole world would cave in and then she met Dominique. She felt she owed it to her to be there when times got rough, but Dominique was always so independent and self sufficient she never let her repay the kindness.
Rachel was very thin and she had long blonde hair that sometimes seemed too heavy for her head, and she didn’t have many clothes but she never came to work untidy or dirty. The other girls would sometimes make fun of her because she didn’t dress up very often or wear makeup and they always insinuated that maybe she was something else. Rachel would often hear the other girls making snide remarks behind her back, but it didn’t bother her, she knew she was there to learn how to live and take care of herself no matter what the cost. She heard them in the bathroom discussing sex, rap music and ‘playing it safe’ when Rachel would walk in they just cracked up and walked away from her. Rachel could always see the way that other people would attempt to hurt others with offhand remarks and jokes and insinuations designed to catch innocent prey in their deadly traps. These things didn’t bother her like it did the other girls.
Dominique came out of her office and she whizzed right pass Rachel without even speaking, she was still in a daze from Mr. Hinkle’s earlier inquisition. She went to the bathroom to sit in the stall and collect her thoughts for a bit then she went to the sink to splash some water on her face. When she felt the water hit her face she felt light headed and thought she would sink down into nothingness so she gripped onto the sink and held herself up to keep from falling. Her heart began to beat faster and her body felt too heavy to stand in, as she tried to prevent herself hitting the ground she thought, “Am I having a panic-attack or whaaattt?” Her thoughts began to race as she tried to control her breathing. She thought silently for a moment – “Where are you? I need you”. Then the moment faded away into the memory of Hinkle’s threats. She would have to spend even more time at work now to ensure that there would be enough women to fulfill her contracts. It was hard getting them to open up and deal with their emotions and problems and Dominique’s own privately designed method involved writing and many women did not want to do this at all.

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:12 am 
lori

i love to write too. i think it helps us see ourselves clearer. unfortunately its not paying the bills!!!
you forgot the paragraphs again lol. Laughing
nice story.... keep it coming please! Wink

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:35 pm 
Beth

You know when I copy it from my original document it has paragraphs but when I post it on board it loses everything. I guess maybe I should just type it all in again to avoid that problem.

Beth

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:57 pm 
lori

no you dont have to do that Beth. lol. Laughing but you can put spaces between the bits yourself, using the edit button. just makes it easier to read. Amy (Cunni_l) enjoyed me reading this out to her last night. Exclamation

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:34 pm 
Beth

Ok -

Really ! That is so cool ....I am glad to know someone else is interested and I think its even cooler that you are reading it out loud

Thanks it means alot to me right now to have some positive and uplifting support

Idea that is so sweet of you both

Beth

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:39 am 
lori

yw Smile would like to know the next episode!!! Wink

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:29 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: