BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Lesbian Love Stories

A Ray of Sunshine
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
love_phoenix

A Ray of Sunshine

Hi Readers, it's been long since I've posted anything here. Most of stories have disappeared surprisingly. Doesn't matter. I hope I'd be able to update this regularly.

Disclaimer: Contains homesexual content (like duh Laughing ) so don't read if you won't like.

CHAPTER 1

The calling bell to the old bungalow that stood alone rang again. With a heavy sigh, the figure inside the house picked up an umbrella to scare away the intruders, the giggling kids of the neighbour.

This was a typical scenario at the Sheela household. Sheela Ram was almost 60, she had lived the past eighteen years of her life alone, with nobody to care for and care about.

Her husband had died when she was only 20. She didn't remarry and focussed all her attention and love on her only daughter Suma. Tragedy, however seemed to shape her life and she lost her precious daughter at the age of 40. It has been almost twenty years now, she didn't let herself love anyone after her daughter and especially after...

.....RING...........

The calling bell disturbed her train of thoughts as she picked up the umbrella.

"I'll have to teach them a lesson today"

And as usual the kids had ran away when she reached the door. Releasing a deep breath, she closed the door behind her and went back to doing her daily chores.

------------------

"What were you doing at Aunty Scrooge's house?" Vicky stopped the kids who ran past him to hide behind the bushes by the lake.

"We rang her bell" The eldest of the kids admitted guiltily.

Vicky hid a grin inside. He never liked the old woman anyway, she was mostly aloof, cold and got irritated with him whenever he played his music loud.

"I don't want to see you doing such things again. Got it?" Vicky reprimanded the kids. They nodded their heads obediently.

"Because next time, don't just ring the bell, burst some crackers in front of her door." He grinned, very pleased with himself as he handed the kids some money to buy crackers.

---------------

"Achoom" went the middle aged guy in his dhotis.

"I swear these people would go straight to hell" muttered Sheela under her breath. Like the kids scenario, the neighbour from hell whose son plays loud music scenario, people sneezing when she was on her way to the temple was a very common occurence.

"Achoom" went the teenager at the sight of Sheela, the agony aunt.

She cursed under her breath again.

--------------

"Why do they sneeze when she goes to the temple?" asked Priya curiously.

"That's a long story" replied Shriya, scowling at the middle aged guy in his dhotis. She had always liked Sheela and often helped her with her gardening. Sure, she was a bit of a loner, but it was her choice and it wasn't hurting anyone else.

"Tell me" asked Priya, quite eager to know what was the story behind the villagers sneezing when Sheela went to the temple.

"Alright" began Shriya with a sigh " You see Sheela wasn't always like this. She used to be really happy and very sociable apparently, until her daughter fell in love with this guy. Her daughter was her world, but after marriage she went away with him, taking all of Sheela's happiness away. Her daughter came back when she was pregnant and told Sheela about her husband's abusive behaviour, but left again after giving birth. This time it destroyed Sheela even more as she lost both her daughter and grand daughter to an abusive man"

"I still don't understand what all this has to do with.." interrupted Priya.

"You haven't heard the whole story yet" Shriya rolled her eyes at her over eager friend.

"Go on.."

"So her daughter leaves with the baby and a year later she hears the news that her daughter has passed away. Distraught, she went to the courts for the custody of her grand daughter as she didn't want him to abuse the kid. The decision was against her as she wasn't able to prove that he was abusive and the custody of her grand daughter was given to him. From that day onwards, she has spent her whole life praying that one day her grand daughter will come back to see her" Shriya finished with a sad smile on her face.

'and because it's considered a bad omen, our villagers sneeze whenever she goes to the temple??' asked the tallest one in the group.

'That's right' agreed Shriya, feeling bad for Sheila.

"Aww, I hope her grand daughter returns one day."

"I hope so too."

The girls walked together in silence.

-----------------------------

"This is mettupalayam stop. Whoever needs to get off at this halt, do so now. Bus will stop here only for two minutes" The conductor of the bus blew his whistle to awake any sleeping passengers.

The elderly man gently shook the young girl in the seat beside him.

"Yeah?" She asked groggily as she rubbed her eyes in an adorable way.

"This is Mettupalayam stop dear."

Jo, short for Jothi looked out through the window and smiled to herself when she saw a villager walking his cattle herd along the grass fields by the high way.

"Thanks for waking me up" She threw her dimpled smile at him, making him go aww.

"You take good care of yourself dear and enjoy your holidays"

She smiled at him and picked up her bags.

The bus left her in the empty fields and she stood there enjoying the lush scenery around. The distant mountains, the green fields, the lakes, the cattles, the unpolluted air.. She smiled her signature grin again and started pulling her big suitcase along.

------------------

As Jo stood in front of the old house, she saw a group of giggling girls walking towards her.

She thought of her ex boyfriend who'd give anything to see such gorgeous girls in bikinis. She didn't understand his fascination with village girls, it was all about untouched beauty according to him and she would only roll her eyes every time he made that comment.

It was a good thing she dropped him for this trip, she thought to herself. Villagers were very strict and disciplined and if they knew of any guy teasing or flirting with their daughters, they'd cut their dicks off.

And given her ex boyfriend's fascination with the village girls, he'd have surely gone back home with a chopped penis and she'd have been left with a lot of explaining to do to his mother.

"Hi" Jo said to them, as they came within hearing range.

"Hi" The girls replied in unison and giggled again. Jo wanted to roll her eyes again.

"You're not a boy" One of the girls remarked.

This time Jo rolled her eyes. Like duh, she wasn't a boy. Of course, she was wearing skinny jeans, ballerinas and a lacy top with cardigan. But when did that become the boys attire?

Jo then reminded herself she was in a village and girls didn't wear jeans or trousers in a village. They wore the traditional half saree, while older women wore saree. Plus the girls couldn't have seen her pony tail which was hidden in a hat, from a long distance.

"Yes I am not a boy."

They giggled again at that looking at the city girl like she was a piece in a museum. Joe tried not to get irritated by their silliness, after all it was she who was to be blamed for dressing up like she had stepped out of Vogue.

"Are you from the city?" asked another girl.

"Can't you see it from her clothes?" retorted another. And then giggles again.

"Is this Sheela's house?" Jo asked after the round of giggles died down. The group collectively gasped.

"Yes. Are you a visitor? She hadn't had a visitor in ovet twenty years you know.." said a girl who had managed to recover from the initial shock earlier than the others.

"I'm not a visitor." Jo smiled cheekily and the girls stood in awe of the stunning city girl. She looked like she could be in a big budgeted Bollywood movie playing the lead actress.

That's what the lads in the city thought too.

Jo, was painfully beautiful.

"See you all around then" Jo waved at the girls before pushing the iron gates open.

-----------------

RINGGGGGGGGGGG...........................

went the bell again. Sheela woke up from her afternoon nap and looked around for the umbrella. The kids behaviour was getting intolerable every day.

"You nasty little.." She opened the door armed with her old tattered umbrella only to be hit in the face with a vision from the past.

There stood, outside her door, a mini resemblance of her only daughter.

"It can't be.. It can't be..." She told herself.

"Grandma" came the adorable voice from the most adorable girl she'd ever seen.

"You got the wrong house" She told the girl after a few minutes of silence.

"Grandma I'm Jo. Your daughter's only daughter."

"I don't have a grand daughter" Sheela replied staunchly.

Jo knew her grand mother wouldn't welcome her with open arms. Her father had warned her of this before.

"You can refuse all you want gran, but I'm your grand daughter and I ain't going anywhere" Jo grinned at her.

Those dimples, just like her mother... Sheela felt herself melt at the innocence and sweetness her grand daughter oozed. But, this can't happen..she couldn't let it happen..

"I'm tired gran. Open the door. Let me in"

Sheela moved a little involuntarily seeing how tired the girl really looked. Jo smiled warmly at her and let herself in. The house looked old on the inside just like the outside.

"Look at the state of this house gran. I don't blame you. You were all alone, you couldn't have done much. Don't worry. I'm here now and I'll take of care of every single thing okay?, but right now I badly need a shower. Is there a room I can .."

Sheela just pointed her thumb upstairs. Jo smiled to herself, it was a baby step, but it was a sign that her grandma was warming up to her.

"Alright then. I'll take the room upstairs"

---------------------------

Jo wore her pajamas and went downstairs as she felt her stomach grumble only to see her grand mother having dinner by herself.

'This is gonna be a lot of hard work' But Jo wasn't going to be easily put away by her grand mother's actions. She was here to build this relationship and she will do that.

"I'm hungry grandma. Won't you at least offer me dinner?" Jo asked Sheela trying her best puppy dog eyes. Sheela just continued eating in silence.

"Fine. I'll just eat this rotten bread I packed four days ago when I started my journey" Jo made a disgusted face, smelling the bread.

Sheela wanted to stop the girl, but she had too much pride to give in so easily to the younger one's charm.

RINGGGGGGGGGGG.....

went the bell.

RINGGGGGGGGGG...

went the bell AGAIN.

"Aren't you going to answer the door gran?" asked Jo, surprised to see her grand mother eating in peace.

"I'm not going to and neither should you" Sheela said calmly.

"What if it's someone important?"

"It's the kids from three blocks away. Their mother had given them to this world to trouble everyone else and passed away, just like yours did" She grumbled as she loaded her plate into the dishwasher.

Jo ignored her grand mother's comment about her being a trouble maker. She quietly sneaked to the back door and went around the house to the entrance. Three kids stood there ringing the bell and giggling to each other.

"Stay wherever you are" Jo said in a loud authoritative voice. The kids stopped ringing the bell and froze in place.

Jo dragged them into the house.

"Apologize to gran for troubling her"

"Sorry" said the youngest one who looked about 6.

"Sorry" said the one who looked about 8.

The eldest one refused to apologize and Jo threatened she'll make him eat the bread if he didn't and he apologized too. Sheela tried not to smile at her grand daughter's cuteness.

"This isn't enough for three of you. Come upstairs to my room" Jo said in a menacing voice and the kids followed her quietly.

Once inside the room, Jo shut the door behind her.

"Were you scared? I was only trying to scare you for gran's sake you know"

"I wasn't scared. Only these two were" said the eldest smiling at the new girl.

"No I wasn't" replied the youngest. Jo chuckled at the adorable kids in front of her.

"What does your dad do?" she asked them taking the youngest into her arms.

"Our dad is the principal of the local school. Our mother passed away" replied the eldest.

"No mother? Welcome to the club. We are friends from now on okay?"

"Right. What's your name?"

"Jo and yours?"

"I'm bala, he's avi and the baby in your hand is Prem" answered the eldest one.

"I'm not a baby" protested Prem and the rest of them laughed.

"Alright. So my new friends, will you show me around town tomorrow?"

"Only if you buy us chocolates"

"Deal"

"Deal"

CHAPTER 2

"Beat it.. Beat it.."

Jo woke up to the loud sound of Michael Jackson screaming through loud speakers. She opened her blinds to see a handsome guy of her age dancing like he has been possessed, in the house next to her gran's.

"This must be the guy the kids told me about who annoys gran with his loud music"

Jo smiled mischievously and connected the speakers of her mini amplifier to the old Radio her gran had kept in the room. She had very powerful amplifiers and set to the full volume it had the capability of shattering window panes.

The guy stopped dancing when loud music played from the agony aunt's house.

"Who is playing the music so loud?" asked his mother as she climbed the stairs to her son's room see what the fuss was about. She was surprised to see a very pretty girl dancing to Britney spears in the balcony of Sheela's house.

"Oi girl. We are living here, can't you play the music in a lower volume?" she shouted through the window.

"Why don't you practice what you preach?" asked Jo sweetly.

"What attitude?" asked Vicky's mother to herself. "Vicky, lower the volume"

"I can't mom. I don't want to lose to a girl" he whined disapprovingly.

"Just do it. I want to see what she does" she forced him to lower the volume only to see Jo had stopped playing music completely.

"Aww. That girl sure knows respect. Don't play music loudly again. Okay?" she told her son in a stern voice and left his room. Vicky stood there quite impressed by the new girl, his mother didn't like people so easily and it was no mean effort that the girl had achieved.

---------------------------

"This is the lakeside temple. It's famous with all the young girls in the village. They say if they pray to the lord for a suitable groom, they'd get a very good husband" finished bala with a small laugh. Jo joined in the laughter heartily.

She had spent a whole day with the kids showing her around the small village. It was a very peaceful village with beautiful sceneries everywhere.

She sat under the banyan tree sucking on crushed ice when her eyes landed on the group of giggling girls she had met the day before. She wanted to dig a hole into earth and hide there before they saw her and started the usual giggling again.

"They have the gigglomania" sighed Jo in an exaggerated manner and the boys laughed with her. The sun was slowly beginning to set, Jo sat there looking at the reflection of herself and the boys in water and enjoying the cool evening breeze.

"I'm going to marry her when I'm older" said Prem, the youngest one all of a sudden. Jo almost spat out the flavoured crushed ice when she heard the six year old's declaration of commitment.

"Me too" agreed the oldest with him.

Jo turned her head to see who had caught their attention and her eyes locked with the most beautiful girl she had ever seen. She involuntarily gasped as she looked into the blue-grey eyes of the girl.

The girl had long dark flowing hair and the perfect set of lips and eyes to ever grace a face. She looked like she stepped out of a painting or something and Jo could swear that she could never see such a beautiful girl in the city or for that matter anywhere in the world. She also noted warily that she was walking with the gigglomania group.

They stopped right in front of Jo as Jo tried to look away from her. She knew that the girl knew she was staring at her and a blush crept up her face.

"Hi Jo" started the one who looked like the leader of the gang.

"H-hi" Jo stuttered to form a coherent sentence as she looked at anywhere other than the intense stare of the girl.

"Shriya. This is your favourite Sheela aunty's grand daughter Jo" the leader turned to the girl who was staring at Jo amusedly.

"Hi" Shriya was quite surprised when she heard rumours through the village gossip circle that the infamous grand daughter has come back to Sheela, but seeing her was quite the confirmation of the rumour.

"Um Hi. So you are Shriya..??" Jo said gathering some of her words to form an unintelligible sentence.

"Yes I am." Shriya replied with a smirk wondering why the girl who was supposed to be from the big bad city couldn't even string a sentence together.

Bala looked at Jo, the usually confident and charming one, who had gone all goofy now and scratching the back of her neck nervously.

"See you around then.." Shriya said after a prolonged silence on both sides.

"When?" asked Jo eagerly and then bit her tongue. It wasn't like her to be over eager to see a pretty girl again, it was more of her ex boyfriend's territory.

To her annoyance, the 'giggly girls' giggled again and Shriya''s eyebrow rose in question.

"Soon.." She answered quite coyly, batting her eye lashes playfully at the city girl.

"Oh god" Jo moaned in embarrassment "I made quite a fool of myself didn't I?" She looked down at the kids, just as the girls left.

"Yeah. If I didn't know any better I'd have said you were ogling my future wife" Bala said cheekily.

"Oh come on you big guy. I won't dare do that to you, besides I don't swing that way" She said tickling him, not knowing if he even understood what she meant.

-------------------

"Jay. Are you even listening?" Jo asked impatiently.

"So now you're a lesbian?" He asked after a moment.

"Are you mad? I was just saying how pretty she is.." Jo said dreamily, which scared her a bit.

"For the past hour and a half" Jay chuckled at the other end.

"Fuck off. I'm off to ring the bell at grans. Call you later. Love ya" She told her ex boyfriend cheerfully.

"Love you too baby girl. If you are turning into a lesbian, please don't forget to release the sex tape"

"Wanker"

"You love me anyway" Jo hung up on him and rang the bell.

Sheela heard the bell ring and sat up annoyed. The girl had been gone for the whole day and she had the audacity to ring the bell anytime she pleased, she wasn't running a lodge for god's sake..

RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Sheela picked up her bags and opened the door.

"Out"

"Gran??" Jo asked bewildered by the way her gran threw her bags out in the curb.

"I don't want you around. Is that so hard to understand?"

"What have I done gran?"

"What haven't you done? Why are you here after all this while?" Sheela asked coldly.

"Because I wanted to see you." Jo said in a childish tone. Sheila knew her walls were slolwly crumbling and it wasn't long before the girl broke it completely. No, she wasn't going to let this girl do that.. She wasn't going to love someone again only to be abandoned by them.. Again.

"I don't want to. OUT" She said harshly.

"Sheela aunty. What's happening?" Jo was suprized to hear the voice of ..

SHRIYA..

"Hi.." She muttered embarrassedly. Shriya didn't respond back, her eyes slowly softening in sympathy for the city girl, realizing what was going on.

"Tell her to get out Shriya. I don't want her around here.." Sheela said sternly.

"Gran.."

"Shriya tell her" Sheela repeated not even bothering to look at Jo. She knew she'd let the girl in if she saw that puppy dog eyes aimed at her.

Shriya looked helplessly at Jo and shrugged her shoulders in apology.

"Alright. I'll go." Jo picked up her bags and sighed dejectedly. Sheila's heart broke a little when she heard the defeat in the younger one's voice.

Not wanting to weaken herself any further she dragged Shriya inside and closed the door right on Jo's face.

"I have never gone camping. May be this is a good time I give it a try" Jo said trying to cheer herself and made herself comfortable in the garden. The grass was wet with dew and mosquitoes were threatening to suck the life out of her.

------------------------

"Aunty. It's raining.." Shriya tried to wake Sheela up. Sheela pretended to be fast asleep, while in truth she hadn't slept a wink since she threw the girl out.

Shriya gave up and went to the window. She opened it lightly to see Jo getting drenched in the rain. The poor girl was shivering and she felt helpless.

She knew she didn't have the rights to let Jo in, but surely she had the rights to give her an umbrella? She smiled to herself as she found the umbrella and walked out in the rain.

-------------------------

Jo looked up to see Shriya holding an umbrella over her head. She was soaked in the rain and was surely going to catch a terrible fever, not like her gran gave a fuck about it.

"I don't want the umbrella"

"Take it"

"I don't. If this is gran's way of punishing me and if she thinks I deserve it, imma accept it whole heartedly" Jo said stubbornly.

"Please Jo. You're going to be sick if you stay like this anymore" Shriya lifted her chin up with her fingers, kneeling in front of the girl.

"I won't" Jo said again in a determined voice, turning away from the girls unwavering glance.

"Take it" Jo and Shriya turned back to see Sheela standing there with a towel in her hand.

"Gran?"

"Just come in" Sheela hugged her grand daughter and let the tears fall. "Oh my poor girl, your grand mother is a heartless person" she said when she felt Jo shivering.

"Don't say that. I love her" Jo replied flashing her an adorable dimpled smile.

The three of them hurried inside and Jo found herself pampered with attention as her gran towel dried her hair and Shriya brought her warm clothes and hot coffee.

Shriya excused herself to another room to change into dry clothes and Jo did the same. When they came back Jo found her gran making coffee in the kitchen.

She grabbed the blanket her gran laid out on the couch for her and nestled into the comforting warmth offered by the house.

She was woken up by the smell of food and realized she had dozed off while waiting for the coffee.

Her stomach grumbled loudly and she realized it was 48 hours ago she had her last meal. A meal her dad patiently and elabarotely prepared for her. Quite tearfully if she may add.

'The sleeping beauty awakens' she heard a lovely voice playfully announce. She looked to her side and found Shriya on the love seat watching telly.

'uh huh. And it's gonna be like beauty and the beast if I'm not fed soon' Jo replied weakly, trying to get herself up and about.

'Are you telling me I'm beautiful? Because if you are the beast, then that just leaves me to be the beauty' Shriya laughed playfully.

Jo blushed but she wasn't to be outdone by a village girl. 'If I wasn't so refined I'd have eaten you by now'

'Bite me'

Jo blushed again. How did this girl have this much effect on her?

'After I'm done eating' she replied cheekily, and Shriya's face turned ten different shades of red.

She dragged herself to the kitchen and gasped loudly when she found an elaborate ten course meal set on the table.

' Hungry?' she let herself be pulled into a hug by her gran.

'mmh' she nodded weakly.

'Go on. It took me and Shriya three hours to finish this'. Only then she realized it was two in the morning. Her heart swelled in gratitude to the two women who had stayed up to cook for her. She hugged her Gran who smiled at her in return.

Jo made a mental note to thank the girl later.

For now, she had a ten course meal waiting to be consumed by her. She licked her lips before she went in for the kill.

------------------------------------------------
Days flew by them and Jo found herself getting to know her gran more. She began to understand why she despised her dad so much. Eventhough she wanted to tell her gran the truth, she didn't think she was ready to hear it yet. She didn't want to be the bearer of the bad news, especially when the bad news was about hers.. Her train of thoughts were stopped by the sound of approaching footsteps. More like loads of foodsteps.

She should have recognized the giggles long ago. Then she could have made her escape without.being noticed. It was too late now. They had seen her.

She wanted to run but sbe wanted to see if Shriya was with them. She hadn't seen the girl around much after that night at grans. She still hadn't thanked the girl.
Love is Bullshit. From a biological and heterosexual standpoint its only useful for the the preservation of our species. And from every other stand point it is basically the overworking of hormones and nothing else. Love is a word widely overrated.

Last edited by love_phoenix on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat May 07, 2011 1:17 am 
MariCR

But this is just lovely how can I be the first persone to post a comment if more then 2 thousand has read it??!! Confused Sad Shocked Could you please continue it love_ p please Please

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:20 am 
love_phoenix

The group came to a halt right in front of her and Jo noticed disappointedly that Shriya wasn't with them.

'Shriya is gone to attend some stuff about her husband, if she is who you're looking for' Bala the older kid whispered in her ears.

Her neck would have snapped if she had turned any faster.

'Husband??' she asked, swallowing thickly.

'Yeah. You didn't know she was married?" asked one of the girls in disbelief. Jo rolled her eyes. They expected her to know everything because she was from the city.

'No' she felt a kind of sadness descend on her and it baffled her.

' well she would be back in a week. We'll tell her you missed her" said the annoying one in the group.

'No thanks' she grumbled, finding a sudden urge to kick at something.

The kids ran behind her, sensing their pack leader's rustration at something and walked silently along her.

------------------------•••••••••••

' Gran.. Gran..'

Jo huffed when she realized her Gran wasn't home. Two weeks had gone past since she learned about Shriya's not so single status and her irritation hadn't died down even an ounce.

She avoided the temple and the lake like the plague, because she knew it was where Shriya hung out most with the other girls. She heard through the boys that Shriya had returned back to the village and found her heart beat slightly increasing in speed. She noted warily that Shriya was a girl. And her heart was responding to news about a girl like it would respond to a good looking bloke with abs.

Her headache seemed to have increased. She unzipped her bag and found the pill she was looking for. Her dad had called her earlier to remind her to take her pills on time. She heard how heart broken he sounded over the phone. It was the same grief that drove her out of her home and into the arma of her gran. She wanted a fresh start. A start where no one knew her end.

A knock on the door stopped her thoughts.

She opened the door ready to tell her gran off for not leaving her a note. She began to realize that most times it was hard to realize which one of them was the 18 year old in the house. Her gran seeemed to have completely let go and acted so carefree. Although it warmed her heart to see her Gran so happy, it didn't stop her from worrying about her.

Her Gran stood there with a dozen of bags and a child like smile on her face.

'You did not go shopping again' she pointed a finger accusatorily at her. Sheila didn't even had the courtesy to look guilty.

She just hugged her grandchild who tried to look menacing and intimidating but still ended up looking like her adorable little girl.

'Gran..' Jo whined pulling away from the hug 'you need to stop wasting money on me'

'shush you' sheila waved a hand distractedly, putting away the bags on the couch. 'No money spent on my grandchild is a waste'

Jo couldn't argue with her logic. It seemed pointless most of the time anyway.

'You got me five pair of jeans and an x box just last week' she groaned in frustration.

'that was so last week. Besided I bought you Salwar this time. We are going to a wedding this evening and you can hardly go in your jeans and sneakers can you?' Sheila defended herself staunchly.

'I could have bought it. I have money Gran. And you didn't have to buy..' Jo said opening the bags, 'jeez eight differeny salwar for one occasion'

'Shriya asked me about you'

'Don't change the topi..' Jo stopped mid rant realizing what her Gran just told her.

'Oh'

'yeah. She asked me if you didn't go the temple anymore because she never sees you there'

'oh'

Jo's head was spinning a loop of 'she asked about me'. Her mind was going jellow qnd she found herself smiling shyly.

'Will she be at the wedding today?' Jo asked her gran anxiously.

Her gran's face turned sad all of a sudden. 'She can't'

Before Jo could ask her gran the reason for it, the doorbell rang again and Sheila put on a welcome smile for any visitors. Aftet Jo's arrival Sheila seemed to open her house to welcome all villagers. Jo was still trying to understand what her gran meant by she can't. Was Shriya's husband a controlling type? If that was true he wouldn't let her hang out with the girls or stay over at her gran's house. Maybe he had just come back to village and banned her from going out? That seemed plausible.

Her heart went out to the girl and she found herslef feeling strangely protective about a girl she hardly knew.
Love is Bullshit. From a biological and heterosexual standpoint its only useful for the the preservation of our species. And from every other stand point it is basically the overworking of hormones and nothing else. Love is a word widely overrated.

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:05 pm 
love_phoenix

Jo applied the eyeliner and mascara and looked at herself in the mirror. Not bad. She thought. Others would disagree with her choice of adjectives and call her stunning, breathtaking, beautiful and use words like 'what a beautiful grandchild you have Sheila' and 'bless her, she is so pretty' and Jo would think they are being kind. It was her own unawareness of how beautiful she looked made her even before alluring and attractive to others.

It was this ignorance of her own beauty which led her to believe she probably wasn't pretty enough to be Shriya's friend, momentarily forgetting it was she who was killing those chances by avoiding the girl.

Two hours later she was standing among a happy and loud crowd of men and women.
She scanned the crowd and found the comforting eyes of her nan in a sea full of strangers.

She told her gran that she was going to go for a walk to digest the dinner and her gram acqueised asking her not to be gone for long.

Jo walked distractedly in her heels and pulled the scarf a little around her to keep the chilling wind out.

The moon was shining brightly illuminating the deserted streets beauitfully. Since all the villagers were at the wedding, the silence seemed prominent in the streets. Except for the sound of a wolf howling in the distant or bats batting their wings, it was peacefully quiet. Others would say eerily quiet but Jo wasn't easily scared. Only those who wished to live seemed afraid of something or other. It was hard not to be afraid when you knew what exactly your impending fate was..

The distant sound of a door creaking snapped her out of her reverie.

Jo walked towards the source of the sound and found a strangely familiar figure washing their dishes in a bucket of water placed by the well.

'Shriya??' she found herself asking.

Shriya dropped the plates and quickly wiped her wet hands in a dry towel self consciously.

'Jo.. What are you doing here??'

Jo seemed a bit taken back at the detached tone. Figures, she thought bitterly, she probably disturbed Shriya's alone time with het husband.

'I was going for a walk. I didn't even know you lived here' Jo explained defensively.

'oh' Shriya sounded dejected. Figures, she thought sadly, she wasn't even friends with Jo, so why did she think she would care about her absence at the wedding and turn at her doorstep offering her comfort when her own friends hadn't done that. Besides she had a feeling that Jo was avoiding her.

'I'm going to leave'

'okay' Shriya answered, without looking at Jo.

'Go on. Don't keep your husband waiting' Jo said , biting back the jealousy she felt rising in her throat.

'Jo. You do know the reason I'm not at the wedding right?' Shriya asked gently, a kindness Jo felt she didn't deserve.

'Because your husband is back?'

'no' shriya answered and Jo felt herself tearing up when she found tears in Shriya's eyes. ' Because he is dead. I'm a widow Jo'

Jo found a sudden urge to run. She couldn't. Shriya looked evenmore beautiful under that moonlight. How could anyone believe in superstitions so much that they wouldn't mind hurting someone as beautiful as her?

'I'm so sorry' She knew an apology wouldn't do for the way she had treated this girl.

'You didn't know Jo. We aren't friends. I wouldn't expect you to know' Shriya offered to comfort the girl who seemed mortified at the mistake she had made.

'well, that needs to change' Shriya looked up at Jo and was about to ask her what needs to change when she found soft, gentle and warm arms pulling her into a hug.

She sighed softly and rested her chin on Jo's shoulder. She found the arms around her waist tighten their grip and another arm run up and down soothingly down her back when she finally allowed the tears to fall. Tears for illiterate parents who got her married at a tender age of 16, tears for a husband who never gave her the love she had hoped would grow after the wedding, tears for the sudden demise of her husband who met his untimely death in a drunk accident, tears for all the superstitions that surrounded her and swallowed her soul, and finally she let some happy tears fall because she saw hope. Hope in the arms of the girl that held her tightly.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:59 pm 
love_phoenix

'you can't buy Shriya bangles' told Prem sternly.
'why?' she asked him back.
'because she isn't allowed to' replied Bala.
'why?' asked Jo again.
'because she is a widow' said Avi in his best 'duh' voice.
'i thought you guys wanted to marry her' Jo played along.
'yeah we do' they answered chorusely.
'then she is not gonna be a widow is she? That's why I'm buying her these in advance' She grinned proud of her own child like logic and the kids grinned back convinced by her theory.

-----------------------•-•---•••••••----••----

SHriya hadn't failed to notice how Jo remained true to her words. They would atleast spend an hour of the day together either at Jo's house or by the lake. Sometime Jo would walk her home because they lost track of time talking and her friends had long left. Sometimes Jo would pause uncertainly at her door before mumbling a quick bye under her breath. Shriya knew Jo expected her greet her in. She also knew Jo came from money and she didn't want her to put up with the inconvenience that was her house.

But all her decisions shattered to pieces when Jo turned up at her house wearing a goofy grin, wordlessly pulled her hands out, slipped bangles gently and tenderly onto them and whispered words about breaking superstitions one by one.

She didn't expect the ferocity with which she pulled the girl into her house and hugged her for a long time. She didn't expect Jo to hang around longer once she took the state of her house in. But when Jo pulled a mat out, sat on it easily, putting her in ease in her own house and demanded she join her, she knew Jo was a girl that broke and exceeded every expectations.

••••••

'Gran' Jo tugged at the corner of the blanket.
'yes darling' Sheila answered sleepily.
'Can I sleep here tonight?'
Sheila lifted her blanket and motioned the younger girl to join her. When Jo wrapped an arm around her waist and laid her head on her chest, she began to stroke the girl's head lightly and wondered what worried the normally cheerful girl.

'what's wrong love?'
'what is love gran?' Out of all things she had imagined she didn't expect this to come from her granddaughter.
She soon realized it was a rhetorical question when Jo began to mumble about eating dumplings at Shriya's house and how happy the kids looked when she told them she will teach them gaming in her x box.
'good night gran. Love you' Jo said when her sleepy ramblings came to an end.Sheila's heart swelled at the words like it did everytime and she placed a kiss on Jo's forehead.
'love you too darling. Now go to sleep'

-------•••------------

She should have recognized the giggles. If she hadn't been so engrossed in watching the monkey steal Bala's ice lolly, she would have ran away by.now. It was too late. They'd spotted her. Her only consolance was Shriya was with them.

'You look like you've never seen a monkey before' the tall one giggled.
'I've seen a herd since my day one here' Jo muttered under her breath and saw Shriya biting a smile.
'city humour' the annoying one said 'we don't get it'

'There you are' an elderly voice boomed and the younger girls scrambled to obedient stance.
'gran' Jo hugged her gran,for the welcome relief.
'Shriya. How are you dear?' Sheila asked turning to her favourite girl in the group.' My little one can't stop talking about yout dumplings'
'Gran..' Jo groaned in embarrassment and Shriya chuckled.
'please you were even sleep talking about her dumplings. You need to share the recipe with me' Sheila continued not paying any mind to how mortified Jo looked.
'ofcourse Sheila aunty'
'oh forgot to ask you another thing. Can you babysit Jo for this weekend. I'm leaving town for a couple of days to complete the deal on rice mill'
'nan' Jo cried out ' I'm 18. I don't need a babysitter besides Shrey is like ONE year older than me.
'Nonsense. You do need one. You can't cook to save your life. You are scared of thunderstorms and you won't go the toilet alone because you found a spider there like two weeks ago'
Jo looked around and saw everyone barely holding their laughter in for her benefit. She rubbed her cheeks to bring the colour down. Her gran was on a roll. She need to cut in.

'If it bothers you so much, I'll stay over at Shriya's' Jo paused and turned to look at Shriya 'I mean, if it's okay with you'
Shriya's heart warmed at the sentence. She still couldn't believe this girl often chose to hang out at her place willingly, when her poverty has put off her own friends from coming over.

'I don't mind it either way. But it's better if Shriya comes over to ours. A storm is brewing amd Shriya's house lies in lowlevel land. That place often gets flooded during rainstorm. It won't be safe for you girls to stay there.'
'Fine. Then she shall stay at ours' Jo agreed half heartedly.
'I'll pay you for it' Sheila said stuffing some money in Shriya's hand. Shriya looked at it baffled and returned the money back to Sheila.
'I'll take care of her. Because I love her. Not because I think you'll pay me for it'
Jo beamed at Shriya who smiled back at her. Sheila smiled at the pair. She liked the idea that Jo was beginning to like people and develop ties here. If she did that there were more chances that the girl wasn't going back to her dad.

•••••••••••••

'What's that?'
Jo almost spat out the water.
'sorry didn't mean to startle you' shriya offered in sympathy.
'is alright' Jo smiled in return. ' it's a tablet for migraine. I get it very often'
'okay' Shriya tugged the blanket under Jo's chin, smiling softly at the girl. She gently rubbed her temples in a soothing circle until she was sure she had fallen asleep. She stroked the younger girl's cheek, planted a kiss on her forehead and shut the door behind her with a whispered good night.

-----------------------------------------------

Jo didn't get angry that often. She particularly thought she could never get mad at Shriya. This morning proved otherwise.

'I'm not being silly. I just don't like you going to the balcony'
'It's just a balcony. I'm not going to Afghanistan' Shriya had defended herself gently in the beginning. She didn't understand why the girl weirded out whenever she went to the balcony for some air.
'I'd be happier if you went to Afghanistan'
'and not to the bloody balcony? Now you are being a huge ass as well as silly'
The yelling had stopped there. They both were clearly angry and were barely holding their temper in check. Jo held her head in her hands and began to groan in pain after a few minutes of the staring contest.

Shriya immediately rushed to her side , held her and rubbed soothing circles in her back. Later, after drinking her pills and lying down for almost two hours, when she told Shriya that she didn't like her going to the balcony because her neighbour Vicky was perving on her, all she received was an 'oh' and a blush in reply. She was sure their first fight was already over when she found herself waking up from her short afternoon nap in Shriya's arms.

•••••••••••••••••••

'Fuck off. I'm not sleeping with her. She is straight remember?'
'your last excuse was you were straight babe'Jay chuckled.
' yes I am. You keep forgetting I dated you'
'but you sound so smitten with this girl'Jay whined.
'I'm not in love with them' Jo whined back.

'you are not in love with who? Shriya?'asked Avi. Jo almost threw her phone out startled hearing someone's voice and then relaxed knowing it was just the kid.
'laters babe' she told Jay and hung up.She turned to Avi and eyed him sternly.
'how can I be in love with her? I would never betray your trust like that' she caught him suddenly and began to tickle him.
'okay' 'okay' he said in between giggles. Her phone rang again and she went to the balcony to get a clear signal. She frowned seeing Shriya talking to Vicky by the fence. As if sensing someone's eye on her, Shriya looked up at the balcony and looked away once her eyes locked with Jo. Jo felt another headache biling up.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Shriya could have sworn that Jo was giving her the silent treatment. She justdidn't know why. She had explained patiently that Vicky wasn't a pervert and had actually asked her hand in marriage. She longed and ached for all the superstitions that made her an outcast to go away. Vicky was giving her a chance at a new beginning. The boy made good money from his hardware stores and his only bad habit was occasional smoking.

Jo's only answer was 'I'm happy for you' and after tbat she had kept to herself the whole evening. Jo was never this quiet or moody.

'What is your problem?' Shriya stopped Jo , pulling her by her wrist before she entered her bedroom.
'do you like Vicky?' asked Jo, her emotions entirely unreadable.
'I don't know' she answered honestly. 'I love you' She didn't know why she said what she said or how it was relevant to the conversation they were having, but Jo's watery smile upon hearing the words told her she had said the right thing.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The next morning when Jo wrapped her in a hug and twirled her around happily saying something about her favourite red rose blooming in the garden for the first time, Shriya felt her heart bloom and blossom with love for the girl and she knew no one else would compare.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The last day before Sheila was due was when the storm actually hit the village. Jo had gone out with the kids to play hide and seek by the lake. Shriya went to meet Vicky at the temple and had returned home over two hours ago. It was mid day , but it was very dark and stormy outside. Jo's phone waa out of reach. Shriya's mind went to a hundred different things that could go wrong on a day like this and each time she hoped Jo would be okay.

So when the doorbell rang and she found Jo eating a cadbury bar, fully drenched in the rain, she pulled the girl into a hug and began to sob in her arms.

'You are such an idiot. Don't ever do this to me again' she scolded Jo gently as she pulled her into the house and brought her warm clothes. She made hot chocolate and marshmallows, watched some animated movie about a lost kid and his fish father and slept on the couch hugging the girl tightly to her chest, wishing to never let go.

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:43 pm 
love_phoenix

When Jo heard the doorbell ring, she almost jumped off the bed excitedly. Only to be stopped by the realization that she had dark brown hair tucked under her chin. She placed a sleepy kiss on the naked shoulder and watched goosebumps rise on and around the spot she just kissed.

She moved the kiss a bit higher and placed it right under the ears and felt the body move closer into hers and press themselves along the length of her body. Goosebumps rose on her body at the proximity and she groaned in reply. The head shot up hearing her groan and it met with her jaw.

'Ouch'
'I'm so sorry. Did I hurt you?' Shriya whispered. Her soft and gentle fingers rubbed the spot gently and placed a soft kiss there. When she pulled apart their faces were inches away from each other. Jo couldn't look away and it seemed neither could Shriya. Her eyes seemed to have fixed on Jo's fuller lower lip with utter fascination.

RINGGGGGGG

They jumped apart in less than a second both mumbling and blushing. When Sheila foumd them opening the door she could have sworn no human being can go redder than the shade these two were.

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:53 pm 
love_phoenix

Something was in the air. Jo knew it the moment grumpy old tea shop granny gave her a toothy smile. Later when her gran gave the kids chocolates and sweets and spent quality time with them her suspicions got confirmed. Something was definitlely up.

'What's the matter? Why is everyone extra cheerful today? It's like freaking me out', Jo said, side eyeing the tea store granny who was still giving her the creepy two toothed smile.

'Don't tell me you don't know', Bala splashed her water, dipping his hand into the cool waters.

'I don't know', Jo grinned.

'The festival fair is starting tomorrow. It wil last for 10 days in the village. It's gonna be super fun. There will be a huge market and fair in those grounds around the temple. People from neighbouring villages come to visit the fair ground. It's going to be amazing. ' Prem the youngest one, explained the village festival to her patiently.

'That sounds sick', Jo replied giving her own version of toothy smile only less creepier than the tea shop granny's.

'Yeah men and women go to the fair to flirt, have eye romance, it's probably much more fun if you are a grown up', Avi said , disappointed with his age.

Jo laughed and ruffled his hair.

'Have they set up the fair already?' she asked, looking back at the temple to see a gaint wheel coming into her line of vision.

'I think it's gonna officially open tomorrow. They will be setting it up all night and tomorrow evening will be the first day of festival. It opens grand from the temple with all sorts of music and dance programmes and the troup will cover the entire village street by street' Bala told her excitedly.

'Oh like street plays?' The astonishment in Jo's voice couldn't be hidden. She was a city girl after all.

'yeah like street plays' another voice answered for her. Jo whipped her head around to find Shriya standing with the girls.

'I don't like eavesdroppers' Her smile said another thing.

'Your smile says another thing', Shriya playfully answered.

Busted. Thought Jo. 'yeah?', she smiled back, getting to her feet and dusting her jeans, 'like what?'

'that you like this eavesdropper', her voice was merely a whisper. If Jo didn't know any better she would have assumed that the girl was flirting with her. But village girls teased just about everyone. It was in their nature.

'Aren't we so humble today?' Jo shook her head and softy chuckled, turning around to the face source of the loud sound. A new store with all sorts of accesories was being set up. Another stand for candies was being set ip too. Jo licked her lips and saw Shriya looking at her. When her eyebrows rose in question, Shriya looked away blushing.

'How do you stay so thin for a girl that has this huge appetite?' Shriya asked as she pulled Jo along to the candy stand.

' Are you going to get me candy? But they said the store isn't opening until tomorrow? Can you get me candyfloss though? '

Shriya silenced her mouth with a hand to her lips.

'I just know the guy. One floss won't be a big deal'

Jo uncovered her lips and brought the hand that covered her lips to hold her hand. They swung their hands in between them for a while smiling giddily at each other.

'You are awesome' Jo said gripping the hands that lay within her tightly.

'you are only saying that because.I'm buying you candy' Shriya winked.

'uh huh' Jo was reduced to uh and uh once she reached the stand. Shriya bought her two of the flosses happily and when Jo offered to share one with her, she smiled shyly and took a bite. She caught Jo staring at her lips.

Shriya couldn't exactly place what she was feeling or why she was feeling it, but all she knew was standing under the tree faintly illuminated by the distant fairy lights and the soft glow casted by the moonlight, sharing some candy floss with someone who made her heart beat twicer than normal, she couldn't have asked for a more picture perfect moment to start the festival with.

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:17 pm 
love_phoenix

'what's the code?' she whispered into the walkie talkie.
'dark blue. Over' replied the young voice.
'details please. Over' , she quickly glanced into her bag and to her relief she found a blue salwar staring back at her.
'dark blue half saree. Dark blue bangles bought by you over', replied the now irritated voice.
'Thanks Bala. Jo out. Over' she shoved the walkie talkie quickly into her handbag and looked around to see if anyone has noticed her weird stake out. Sighing in relief she wasn't spotted by gigglomania, she quickly ran to bala's house and changed into the dark blue salwar and slipped flip flops on her feet.

----------------

'gran. I'm over here', she screamed trying to get heard over the sound of blaring horns and beating drums. She waved vigorously to get her attention but some creep behind her gran waved back at her.

She made her way through the crowd, past the dance troup and finally reached Sheela. Before she could tap her gran on her shoulder, she felt another tap on her shoulder.

She turned around and gasped at the sight that greeted her. If it was possible for someone to grow beautiful overnight than they already were, then it looked like the girl she was currently ravishing with her eyes was the only capable one.

'wow. You look' she gave another once over, mentally searching her vocabulary to find a word that wouldn't make her sound like a retarded chipmunk, 'wow' she finished.

Shriya smiled shyly at her. 'you look beautiful Jo'. 'uh huh' and another 'wow' made Shriya's smile even broader.

'Are you planning to gape at the girl all night or planning to say hi to your grandmother anytime soon?' Sheela asked, noticing her grandaughter staring the poor girl down. The city people were easily amused by the village attire was the lady's thought. ' and weren't you wearing pink salwar when we left home? Where did you disappear in between with that god awful radio thing?' She looked at Shriya and smiled. ' well you and Shriya are atleast colour co ordinated'

Jo couldn't go any redder if she tried. Shriya pretended to look everywhere else for Jo's benefit, but one glance at the amused grin on her lips told Jo that she was busted. She scowled at Sheela and excused herself to use the water stall.

•••••••••••••••••••

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:38 pm 
love_phoenix

'Do you want to go in the merry go round?' Shriya just grinned amusedly. It wasn't hard to believe Jo was still a teenager when she behaved like this. She had already danced with the troupe, ate three different crushed ice lollies, rode the giant wheel thrice and eaten candy floss until she felt like puking and they hadn't even been at the fair for an whole hour yet.

'Again? I thought you were feeling pukish', she gently reminded her.
'But that was ages ago' Jo immediately defended herself.
'I wouldn't call three minutes and thirty seconds ages ago', Shriya slightly swatted her arms playfully.
'You're no fun.' Jo waved the annoying one from the gigglefest down. 'you wanna go on the ride?' she asked as soon as she was within hearing distance.
'with you looking like that, had I been a boy I'd have taken you for a real ride' the annoying one answered with a wink.
'well, mumbai isn't far away. You can always get a gender re assignment anytime' she replied bashfully.
She saw Shriya biting her lips and scowling her face through the corner of her eyes.
'I could do that. For now, let's take you on the ride' The annoying one put her arms out and Jo hooked hers within them.
'You coming?', Jo asked looking at Shriya.
'No' Shriya said in a biting tone, 'you go ahead and have your fun. I'm gonna go and see if Vicky is around' she emphasised on the word fun and strutted her way out of the fair grounds.
Jo didn't understand the girl. She knew she was keen on meeting Vicky at the fair, but spent the entire evening avoiding him. Now she was back on keen on meeting the guy. Jo let out at a loud huff and shook her head to clear her thoughts. She was going to enjoy the fair and no bugfaced boy or his hookup were going to stop her from doing so.

••••••••••••••••

'Gran. Can I get a candy floss please?' Jo tried again, giving her best puppy dog eyes to Sheela.
'You're going to get sick Jo' Sheela refused adamantly. The girl was already on a sugar high and her energy hadn't died down after four hours at the fair, even by an ounce.
'Please. This will be the last one', Jo said pulling her hair band out, freeing her hair from the tight ponytail.
'Fine' she relented, 'come with me' Sheela knew she was spoiling the girl, but she didn't stand a chance against the puppy dog eyes. She also was slightly worried about how sad the girl looked when she had come back from the rides with Shriya nowhere in sight. She knew the young Ram's mood had something to do with the other girl, but she didn't question it. She hated pushing her grand daughter into a shell she sometimes loved to cover under.
'yay. I love you' Jo planted a loud kiss on her cheek. Sheela sighed. This was her weakness. She would do just about anything for this girl. She had lighted up her dark world the moment she stepped into it. She wished her world never got dark again. She wished she could spend her last breath seeing this girl. Little did she know how her wishes were far from reality. Merely a wish.

••••••••••

'Hi'
'Hey. I was looking for you forever. Did you just arrive?' Vicky asked, as they walked towards the line for folkplay.
'No.' Shriya answered honestly and slightly guiltily, ' I was with Jo, you know she has never been to a village fair. I promised Sheela aunty to be her guide. That girl could get lost if you left her out of your sight for a second'
Vicky frowned hearing the girls name. He wasn't a big fan of Jo, Shriya knew that and she couldn't entirely fault him. Jo had pulled of a laundry list of pranks, starting from convincing him that tampons were earbuds, changing his black dye to bleached blue hair dye, printing 'I fart..loudly' on the back of his favourite tee (and to his absolute embarrassment he had worn that for a whole day and didn't understand why his customers made a show of closing their nose around him), told him growing under arm hair atleast to a meter was thr city lad's latest fashion trend (she still had no idea how Jo convinced him with that one) to ordering pizza from different numbers on his store telephone number.
'You need to keep your distance with that girl' he distractedly said as he bought them both sweet popcorn and soda.
'Ermm Vicky' she touched his arm to get his attention, 'I really don't like sweet popcorn'
'You would like it if you keep eating it. It's an acquired taste', he replied, not even bothering to look at her. It was always my way or highway with him. Jo refusing to eat her favourite egg pasty because Shriya wasn't a big fan of it, immedately sprang to her mind. She was beginning to regret ditching the girl in favour of hanging out with Vicky. Jo had an effortless way of keeping her entertained and she felt like she was the most important person in the world in the eyes that regarded her with affection and love. Vicky was watching the play, once in a while meeting her eyes and threw a bored smile at her. Her stomach didn't do any flips like it was supposed to. Then she remembered the casual way Jo's smile would send her on a roller coster ride, a whirlwind of emotions. For the millionth time that night, she wondered what possessed her to leave Jo to accompany this borefest.

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:58 am 
love_phoenix

Jo sat by the lake throwing stones into it, trying to make it skip. They only made dark ripples and sunk into the water quietly. Jo wondered if her gran had gone home and slept. She had told her gran she was going to hang out for a while with others and come home a bit late. Her grans easily agreed, her only condition being she spent the night at Shriya's which was closer to the temple rather than walking all the way back in the dark to the house. Jo had tried telling her gran that she had the kids for company to which an eyebrow almost shooting to the skull was the only response. She reluctantly agreed to her gran's condition hoping she won't stay out that late which will have her hanging on to the last resort.

The stone rippled again.

'She's probably having fun' she mumbled to herself and watched with fascination at the last stone skipping twice. Her spirits soared and she tried again. This time it skipped four times.

'Go me' she chuckled to herself. She wished Shriya was here to show off. That girl told her city girls could never do skipping stones. Her smile tucked upwards further knowing that she had proved her wrong. And if she could do the same thing about Vicky, somehow show her there was someone better out there for her, some guy who would treat her like the princess she was, she would be content and satisfied.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Shriya didn't believe in miracles. If miracles were true she would have had a loving hudband instead of an alcoholic, if miracles were true she would have gone to school, if miracles were true Vicky would have just been a boy version of Jo. It was easy not to believe in miracles when all she ever got was what she despised. Hence it almost sent her into a shock, when she saw Jo shyly walking up to her where she was abandoned by Vicky. She wouldn't believe in miracles because her wish just came true, she would put this aside as a lucky co incidence. But when Jo pulled her into a tight hug and told her how she had missed her that night, she began to think that maybe miracles were true.

•••••••••••••••••••

'Are you coming in?' Shriya asked Jo in an annoyed tone.

They had walked peacefully halfway hand in hand when all hell broke lose. She couldn't keep her mouth shut and asked if Rita (the annoying one) showed her a fun time, her tone full of bitter sarcasm. Jo had the audacity to look surprised and hurt, and asked her why she was being so rude. She had rubbed it in further by saying that whole village could see how Rita was all over her. Jo had angrily replied that Rita was just playing around and it wasn't her who ruined tonight's fun. They had bickered and argued until they reached the house.

'I don't think so' Jo replied in a low voice, still hurt from Shriya's accusations. Shriya chewed on her lower lip for a second and mentally scolded herself for being so harsh to the girl. She couldn't understand why she was so angry about the little playfulness that went on between her friend and Jo.

She stepped closer to Jo and lifted her chin up to see glassy eyes staring back at her. She took another step closer unconsciously, her own eyes becoming wet at the sudden realization of how much she had hurt the girl.

'God. I'm so sorry Jo' she hugged her tightly, her arms going around Jo's neck for support. She felt another pang of guilt and hurt hit her when she realized Jo wasn't hugging her back. 'I'm so sorry' she kept repeating it like a mantra, peperring kisses on the shoulder and felt tears staining her back. She knew her own tears were running down the younger girl's top.

'I'm sorry, really really sorry', she said again and again, until she felt the tears coming to a halt and an arm hesitantly wrapping around her waist. When she felt Jo hugging her back properlty, a fresh set of tears began an onslaught on her. She couldn't believe that she had hurt this girl she loved so much.

'It's okay. I'm okay' Jo pulled apart slightly to hook a finger down Shriya's chin and gently forced her to look at her , 'Look at me. I'm okay'

She smiled through her tears to re assure the girl sobbing in her arms. Shriya smiled back letting out a half sob and a half laugh.

Jo pulled her back into another hug and Shriya let herself be engulfed in the warmth, comfort and love the hug offered.

••••••••••••••••••

Jo woke up to the sound of birds chirping and the sun shining brightly in her eyes. She blinked her eyes slowly and felt a protective arm around her waist. She laughed quietly at Shriya's sleeping form and gently laid a kiss on her forehead.

'good morning. Wakey wakey' she nudged her gently. This seemed to make the girl cuddle more into her side.

Jo gently pried the arms around her apart and sneaked into the kitchen. She accidentally knocked into a pan and sent it reeling across the floor crashing into a set of glass.

Shriya who was almost awake because she couldn't sleep without Jo by her side, softly chuckled. Jo was a disaster in the kitchen area.

'Morning' she hugged Jo from behind and smiled widely when Jo turned around and kissed her forehead. 'why are you in the kitchen?'

'mmh' Jo smiled goofily, 'I got hungry'

Shriya chuckled again. She was sure the girl had hollow legs by now. Where else was all the food going to?

'Give me 20 minutes maximum okay?' she asked softly, stroking Jo's cheek with one hand, 'I'll make you pancakes'

Jo's wide smile was the only confirmation needed to know that the breakfast choice was the girl's favourite.

'Now out' she pushed the girl away knowing how restless she got while waiting for food, 'I don't need distractions while cooking'

'Fine your majesty. As you wish' Jo bowed and made a show of leaving the kitchen. Shriya smiled and began to whip up breakfast for someone who now definitelely was making her heart smile thrice than normal.

•••••

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:00 am 
love_phoenix

Baba was 52 years old. When people told her, her daughter was too old to get married she would hide her broken heart and tell them that Prince Charming and his chariot would whisk her off one day. They thought she was bonkers. They thought her old age and the stress of having an unmarried 28 year old in the household was driving her slowly insane. She pretended she didn't pay attention to their prediction about her daughters future, but the worry was niggling in the back of her mind.

When Sanjay expressed his desire in marrying his daughter, she couldn't have been more relieved.

'You lot said she was never getting married. Now look she is off to marry a rich city boy' she would proudly tell the villagers, anytime someone was willing to hear about how the wedding plans were going.

When Jo arrived at her tea shop with Shriya and some other girls in tow, to offer her
help on the third day of festival, she had eagerly agreed to let the girls help. Except Shriya . That girls luck had killed her husband within a year of marriage and she didn't want her daughter to suffer the same fate.

Shriya had flinched and merely cowered to a corner hearing Baba's sentiments, but Jo was infuriated. She gave Baba a lenghty lecture on superstitions and its co relation to stupidity but Baba didn't back down. She stauncly believed Shriya was unlucky. So when Sanjay met an accident, few days to the wedding and the hunt for his rare blood group proved futile, Jo had gone on all the social networking sites and found a donor in an hour saving his life. When Baba thanked God for the miracle because she hadn't expected to find a donor, Jo sneakily inserted an off handed comment about how Shriya's presence in the hospital had given Sanjay the luck to survive, Baba turned to Shriya like she was the Goddess Kali herself and thanked her endlessly.Soon the rumour spread around the whole village like a wildfire and Shriya was beginning to get invites to every other event that happened in the village. She didn't thank Jo for turning around the superstitions, because something like this couldn't be thanked in words, so when words failed her, she pulled Jo into a wordless hug and held her there for long moments silently communicating how much she loved the girl.

-------

On the sixth day of the festival, Jo wanted to take the local bus to the nearest town to get her gran a birthday gift. Her gran had offered to buy a car for the girl and Jo's eyebrow shot up, giving her a stern glance and her Gran had downgraded the offer to renting a car. Jo said no, she told her Gran she wanted the village experience and she didn't come to the village to be chauffered around like she would be in the city. Sheela had reluctantly given in to the young girl's wishes.

Jo boarded the local bus and immediately found herself face to face with a basket of hens flapping their useless wings at the bewildered stranger. She couldn't find a seat and ended up being sandwiched between a lady holding spinach basket in her arms and another old woman holding a cage full of rabbits.

'Should have taken on Gran's offer' , Jo.muttered to herself. 'A single ticket and three half tickets to Coimbatore town center please' She gave her card and stared at the conductor of the bus who was looking at her like she had grown a horn.

'And this is why you don't let city girls in the bus' the soft teasing voice immediately made Jo's heart skip a beat.

'Stalking me?', she turned around to find Shriya and the whole bunch of Gigglomania occupying the right side seats of the bus.

'Wouldn't you like that?' Shriya's voice was full of cockiness that Jo found amusing.

'Perhaps' Jo shrugged.

'Here's 20. Give her the tickets please' Shriya spoke to the conductor who sighed in relief. The only card he had known in his life were wither greeting cards or business cards.

'Are you going to town as well?' Prem who was holding Jo's hand asked Shriya.

'Uh huh. We need to buy sarees for Baba's daughters wedding. And why are you badass lots visiting town?' Shriya asked the kids, but her smirk clealry said the dig was aimed at Jo. Jo blushed and cursed herself for the lightness of her skin.

'Oh, grumpy granny's birthday is in two days. Jo wants to get her a gift' Bala answered for Jo who was still red.

Couple of stops later, few seats got empty and Jo ushered the kids towards the seat. She came back to where Shriya was sitting and stood by her side engaging herself in a conversation to pass time.

Another three stops later, the lady with the rabbit cage began to whine loudly about her annoying daughter in law to the lady with the spinach basket. They spoke loudly over Jo and poor Jo who was between them wished she had carry her ipod to protect her ears.

'That woman is a witch I'm telling you' the rabbit lady told the spinach lady.
'I haven't seen your daughter in law. Is she pretty?' asked the spinach one.
'yeah' the rabbit woman said and scrutinized Jo until she felt uncomfortable and began squirming. 'she almost looks like this girl.' She pointed at Jo.
She poked a finger in Jo's dimples and loudly announced. 'Even got the same dimples'
The spinach lady now looked at Jo in utter disgust like she was rabbit's daughter in law herself and poked a finger in Jo's sides, making Jo jump.
'There is no point in looking pretty when you're a cold heartless woman' the spinach told Jo and Jo smiled uncomfortably.
'clearly it's the beauty that has my son under your spell' the rabbit poked Jo again.
'You need to treat your elders right' Spinach told sternly pinching Jo's cheek. Jo had turned beet red and looked at Shriya helplessly. Shriya was biting her lips to stop herself from laughing loudly. It looked like all the passengers in the bus were doing the same, drawn to the drama going on between spinach and rabbit ladies. After five minutes of seeing Jo being pushed and shoved and accused of being a heartless bitch all because she resembled someone's daughter in law, Shriya decided the girl had suffered enough and offered Jo her seat. Jo, being ever the lady, had politely refused pointing out that they still had over an hour to reach their stop. Two mins later she changed her mind because Spinach lady had started a long rant about how Jo's behaviour was unbecoming and advised her how to become a better person.

Jo had had enough now. To her utter relief the womab occupying the window seat next to Shriya got off at the next stop and Jo immediately sprang to occupy the empty seat. Spinach and rabbit were now victimizing another poor lad who they claimed looked like rabbit's son.

'Dpn't stop on my account. Go on, laugh, I know you're dying to' Jo huffed and crossed her arms. That was all the permission Shriya needed and she began to laugh uncontrollably. Jo who was initially frowning, soon found herself smiling at the lovely sound of Shriya's laughter.

When Jo began smiling the rest of Gigglomania and the kids joined in the laughter. Soon Jo found an entire bus full of passengers laughing and giggling and whispering and pointing at her. Jo didn't mind. If Shriya was going to look this carefree and happy she'd be willing to be pushed and pulled by the rabbit and spinach ladies over and over again.

'I'm sorry Jo, but that was funny' Shriya uncrossed Jo's arms gently and held it in her hands in hers.
'I'm glad you found my suffering amusing' Jo pouted like a little child.
'Aww. Don't give me that kicked puppy look. Forgive me?' Shriya smiled knowing fully well Jo wasn't mad at her.
'Buy me a candy when we get to town and I'll probably think about it.'
'I'll do one better. I'll buy you candy and milkshake. Okay?'
'Okay' Jo beamed. Her joy was not just due to the promose of sugar rush, it was more due to the fact that Shriya was still holding her hands and now pulled it on her lap, playing with her fingers.

Ten minutes later, with the cool breeze caressing her face and the old melodious song soothing her eardrums, Jo was fast asleep on Shriya's shoulder. Shriya laid a kiss on the top of her head and laid her chin on top of hers and closed her eyes, feeling content and happy in a bus crowded with hens, rabbits and loud victimizing village women.

••••••••••••••••••

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:10 pm 
love_phoenix

'Oh, can I get that one please?, and that one and that pink one and that spiderman one'

Shriya rolled her eyes. They had been in the candy store for over an hour now and she had begun to fully understand what they meant by 'like a kid in candy shop'. Even the kids had gotten bored of the candies in the first fifteen minutes, but Jo was still on a roll.

'Jo, I want to try the blouse for the saree. If you don't come with me now, I'm going to call Vicky to come help me' Shriya whispered in Jo's ears. She didn't know why she thought this would work on Jo, but it did work. Jo blushed when she heard the word 'try on the blouse' and stiffened when she heard Vicky's name.

'I'll help'

Shriya grinned when Jo took her hand and dragged them to the saree botuique.

•••••••••••

'Jo could you help me with this button please?' When Jo heard Shriya's plea for help, she walked into the dressing room completely unaware of the impending danger. When she came face to face with expense of naked skin on Shriya's stomach and an enticing cleavage on display, she swallowed visibly.

Shriya's eyes met Jo's and a shiver ran through her. She hadn't realized just what an intimate request she had made until Jo walked in.

'May I madam?' Jo joked lightly but her voice faltered and the smooth timber tone it had suddenly taken, made goosebumps rise on her skin. With trembling fingers Jo hooked the last button that was right between the breasts covered by the bra like blouse, at a silent nod of acqueisence from Shriya.

'Th-there you go' She didn't understand why she stammered. She had shared lockers and gym with plenty of naked women before and none of them made her shiver like this almost half naked woman did.

'Thank you' Shriya's voice had dropped an octave. They were two girls. This wasn't supposed to be this awkward, but she couldn't stop her stupid heart, beating that bit faster. She looked at Jo who was looking at everywhere but her.

'I'm j-just gonna wait outside' Jo spoke to the mirror. Shriya nodded wordlessly. Jo almost ran out of there. Shriya slumped in the chair, holding a hand to her heart, willing it to slow down the erratic beating it had now taken to.

•••••••••••

'ooh there is a fair ground here. Let's go' Jo pointed towards the carnival gates.
'Shall I remind you there is one back in the village as well?' Shriya rolled her eyes in amusement.
'But this is a town one. I want the town experience.'
'Bored of village experience already?' Shriya asked as she let herself be dragged by Jo whole heartedly eventhough her words said otherwise.
'I don't think I'm gonna get bored of the village anytime soon. Especially when it has nan and you in it' Jo said softly. While Shriya was stunned and speechless with the sentiments she came across in Jo, Jo just winked at her and said 'race me to the gun shooting' and took off. Shriya frowned at how effortlessly Jo threw big statements at her when she was least expecting it and somehow had become an expert at catching her off guard.
'Next thing you know she will be saying 'I love you' while she is standing in line for a wee' Shriya smiled and then paused as she realized what she had just softly uttered. 'I mean I love you to someone else.. Obviously' She corrected herself unnecessarily because nobody had heard her anyway.

••••••••••••••
'Jo, why isn't Shriya talking to you?' asked Avi as he hopped from one stall to another in the farm market.
'She is just being mean' Jo accused.
'Shriya is being mean?' Prem lifted an eyebrow in question at her. 'That doesn't sound right. What did you do?'
'Me? I didn't do anything' Jo defended herself haughtily.
Bala just stared at her, until she became uncomfortable. 'Alright yeah. I might have said something about how I think Vicky may have a mental condition because I see him grinning to himself often and it pissed her off'
'You do realize that he's her fiance right?' Prem asked lightly.
'Yeah. So I'm not allowed to tell what's in my mind or what?'
'No you nutcase. Shriya already feels like an outcast because of the way she had been treated in the past. When you bring down Vicky, by association you bring her down as well. For god's sake she is gonna marry him, so if you go around telling people that Vicky is mental, what does that tell about her? That she is desperate enough to marry a psycho? ' Bala pointed out, his wisdom beyond his years.
'I-I didn't think about it like that' Jo offered completely ashamed of her earlier behaviour.
'You still don't understand how a village works. It's not your fault' Prem said stroking her hand gently.
'You have to say sorry though' the youngest grinned at her and she smiled back at him wondering how her thought process had become less intelligent than of a three yr old.
'I will' She said automatically when her eyes met Shriya's who was two stalls away and they quickly looked away.
•••••••••••

'Where is Jo?'
'What do you mean by where is Jo? She was with you at the sugarcane juice stall' Shriya said in panick. Laxmi looked at Shrita guiltily, realizing she had lost the teenager in the crowd.
'Yeah but then she wasn't with me. i thought she must have tagged along with Priya and the kids. But she isn't with them either'
'Fine. Let's look together again'
An hour later, even after joining forces with the local villagers, the kids and the girls weren't able to find Jo.
'What am I gonna tell Sheela?' Shriya muttered under her breath, her voice trembling with fear. ' what if something bad had happened to her?' Her voice broke at the thought that was actually bothering her.
'Shriya please don't cry', the tall girl soothed her.
'Don't cry? You lot lost her. You know she is capable of being lost in the village. How did you think it was okay to let her out of sight in a town?' Shriya yelled in a manner unlike her and the girls looked down guiltily.
Shriya broke down sobbing on the bench while everyone looked at her helplessly.
'we still haven't checked the stalls near the carnival ground' Bala said like a light bulb suddenly went off in his head. 'Come Shriya'
Just about when she was to go for the final search before going to the police station, the crowd around her parted and Jo walked towards the girls smiling sheepishly at them.
'Sorry. Where you looking for me? I went shopping' Jo didn't get to finish her sentence when she felt a sting across her cheeks. She watched in shock at the brunette's lips quivering and tears falling down her cheeks, and then she stormed off like Jo's presence repulsed her.
'What did I do?' Jo asked, her own voice trembling now. She didn't want to cry. She wasn't going to cry. She wasn't a child.
'Jo we have been looking for you for an hour. We thought someone had kidnapped you by now', Avi exclaimed in disbelief.
'Shriya was crying. I think she thought a monster ate you or something' Prem said.
Jo began to understand why she more than deserved the slap that came her way.

••••••••••••

Shriya silenced Jo with a finger as soon as she saw the meek girl opening her lips.
'I'm sorry I hit you' She sobbed across the chest that her face was now sheltered in. Jo drew her in with an arm around her waist.
'I'm sorry. I should have told you where I was going, but I didn't because I know you wouldn't have let me' Her hands rubbed soothing circles in Shriya's back.
Shriya tightened her grip across Jo's waist, pulling the girl into her even further. She wasn't ready to let her go, not when she had just found her.
She moved her chin and laid a barely there kiss above where she thought Jo's heart was. And just like that Jo's heart took on the loud beat it took in Shriya's proximity.
'I got you this' Jo pulled apart lightly to look at Shriya. In her opened hands, a palm edition of the rare poems of Shriya's favourite poet was sitting.
'But you have to do the rope climbing to win this book' Shriya's voice was thick with overwhelming affection and something else she couldn't name yet.
'Hey I was in the girl scout' Jo said mocking hurt.
Shriya looked at her like she knew her bullshit.
'Okay okay I gave up rope climbing after I fell on my ass twice. But I had other means to get the book'
'You stole it?'
'I'll have you know I slaved around his dingy stall for an hour with these bleeding hands before that fucker let me have this book'. Jo huffed indignantly.
Shriya opened her palm fully and gasped at what she saw. Jo was used to people at her beck and call, catering to her every need and wishes. She lived like a princess and yet here she was slaving away all for a book that Shriya didn't even care about at this moment.
'Your hand is bleeding' Shriya's whispered, her eyes moistening at the blisters she saw on the soft skin of Jo's palm.
'No big deal'
They both knew it was a lie.
'I love you. You know that right?' Shriya whispered as she pulled Jo in another hug. Jo hugged her back and wondered how Shriya fit perfectly under her chin, like she was custom made to hug Jo.
'Yeah' Jo said, relishing the embrace she was in.
'You better' Shriya said smiling through her tears. Jo's heart warmed at the tears that were currently making it's presence known on her chest and the words that reached her ears.
She didn't day anything back. Sometimes words didn't seem enough to show just hoe much you'd be willing to go through for another person. She hoped Shriya knew how much she meant to her.

••••••••••

When they boarded the night bus with Sheela's birthday gift, the sarees and accessories for the girls, some toys for the kids and a copy of love sonnet grasped tightly in a gentle hand, they didn't find any seats to sit down. Instead Jo and Shriya huddled together in the darkened bus, clinging to each other, with barely an inch between them and wondered why their heartbeats were beating rhymingly to each other and why there were goosebumps on the skin wherever their bodies came into contact.

'I love this song' Jo hummed and looked at Shriya who moved closer to her if that was even possible.
'Uh huh' She licked her lips and saw Jo's eyes darken even in the darkness pf the bus.
'uh huh' Jo repeated and Shriya who felt a strange heat rise through her body, pressed into Jo even further, like to quench an unknown desire.
Jo gasped at the full body contact, but didn't pull away. She wrapped a protective arm around a delicate waist and held her close to her for the rest of the ride.

•••••••

Post Fri May 03, 2013 7:35 am 
love_phoenix

The seventh day of festival, Jo was bored. She had already done the rounds around the village fair ground several times, been on the rides until the operator's body language said the rides were going to be made off limits to her, nagged her Gran with 100 questions and she still hadn't made it past mid day. Even her x box got boring. She wanted to go exploring the outskirts of the mountaineous terrain, but her Gran had said the woods were off limits after hearing her lost act in the town, courtesy of the kids who couldn't keep their mouth shut.

So when Bala asked if she wanted to break into the old abandoned and apparentlt haunted farm house, she had eagerly nodded her acqueiscence.

She wore what she called was her James Bond sun glasses, a shorts, cut of tee and converse shoes. The kids asked her to get dressed and when she said she was dressed they gave her a once over and nodded disapprovingly which made her chuckle.

'Shiva uncle. I'm going to take the kids to the farm house. Is it okay?' She asked the kid's dad honestly.
He was a rational man, a different breed among the supersitious villagers.
'Ofcourse darling. Seeing as they have appointed themselves as your unoffical escort around the village, why not?' He asked offhandedly, concentrating on marking the term papers on his desk.
'Ermm. You know they say it's haunted..' Jo said, scratching her chin nervously.
'It's just a farm house dear. Don't tell me you believe in the supernatural lies the villagers apparently has been feeding you with'. Shiva said, chuckling softly. He didn't raise his kids to be cowards. He wondered if Jo actually believed in ghosts, because her body language seemed to scream the words 'scared yet curious'.
'Ofcourse not.' Jo said immediately straightening herself rigidly, 'I'm a brave woman'
Shiva wanted to tell her she wss still very much a kid, but didn't want to bring her new found confidence down.
'That's all good then. You kids go have fun. Just drop them off by six because they have school tomorrow' Shiva said, dismissing her and the kids.

••••
Sheela didn't trust her as much. When she had lied smoothly about going to the fair grounds she had asked suspiciously 'again?'
'I'm bored. You are busy playing wedding planner for Baba' Jo said half accusingly, knowing this would get her off the hook.
'Oh I need to inform the caterer to raise the guest list to 130. Sanjay's friends are coming to the wedding. Thanks for reminding me Jo'
'You are welcome?'
'And the bridegrooms stay will be at the Panchayat house. Where is that Panchayat leader's phone number?'
When Sheela began to rummage through the drawers, Jo knew she had been dismissed.
'Bye gran' she began to sneak out.
'The woods are off limits dear' Sheela yelled over her shoulders.
'Okay okay' Jo yelled back, hurrying out of the house before Sheela could make a thousand other places off limits.

••••

'What is Jo doing near the farm house?' asked Laxmi, casting a curious glance at Jo and the kids.
' Farm house?' Shriya turned around from her spot under the banyan tree to see Jo and the kids taking the unused trail in the woods that lead to the farm house.
A mischievous smile rose on her face.
'You thinking about what I'm thinking?' Priya asked giving her a cheeky grin.
'Sure' Shriya smirked. 'wanna mess with them?' She asked the rest of the girls who all nodded their heads eagerly.
'Let's take the short cut then' she got up, dusting her back, the five girls following behind her like she was their mafia boss.

••••••••

'Shit motherfucker' Jo cursed softly, her body shivering at the sight of the huge farm house that was hidden among the shrubs and trees. 'This place is creepy'

She eyed the wooden gates that was covered with plants and cobwebs.

'You okay Jo?', Bala asked her expectantly.
'I'm cool bruv. Let's do our thang' She shrugged trying to play cool.

/•••••••••••

'Jo what are you doing?' Prem asked her, looking up at the girl whose legs were hanging on either side of the gates.
'I'm breaking in. Duh' Jo rolled her eyes.
'Okay' Avi replied and pushed the gates open, with Jo still perched on the gate.
Jo pouted when she saw the kids smirking at her. She jumped off the gates and landed flatly on her ass.
'Could have told me there was no locks' She told them accusingly, embarrassed about her disastrous attempt at playing Bond.

•••••••

'Shush. They are coming in. Priya you take Mala to the kitchen and hide there, Laxmi you are going with Nila to the drawing room. Me and Reka will hide in the lounge' Shriya ordered the girls and all of them dispersed before being caught.

••••••••

Jo walked down the hallway, checking out the old paintings and stuffed animal heads that were covered with cobwebs. So far she hadn't come across anything unusal, other than the creepy silence that dwelled in the place. There was no noise except for the sound of their footsteps crushing dried leaves under their feet.

As the group approached the lounge Jo decided she wanted to check that out first. The door that led to the lounge opened with a loud creek that broke the eery silence that prevailed in the place.

'What no ghosts here as well? This is boring' Jo said cooly as they moved into the room not expecting too much other than carpeted floor and plush furnitures that were being eaten into dust.

Looking back later, Jo knew she shouldn't have let her guard down so easily. At first glance, the lounge didn't look any different to the other rooms they had already explored. It had many medieval paintings, stuffed animals and more cobwebs and dust.

While the kids explored the rest of the huge lounge area, Jo leaned into the chimney and checked if there was any Grudge style ghost that would come say hello to her. To her disappointment and relief , there was none. She looked around, to see the kids were at the far end of the lounge.

When she heard a chair right behind her suddenly rocking, her instincts kicked and she turned around, a shiver chilling her spine.

'Must be the wind' She told herself, willing to slow down her heartbeat.

When a pot crashed right by her side, Jo let out a loud scream and ran out of the room, like her head was caught on fire.

'Why is Jo running around the house like a maniac?' Prem asked Avi.
'who knows? She is probably performing some city ritual' Avi answered, his interest solely on the stuffed lion head, his fingers poking its teeth to check the sharpness.

••••••••

Jo only stopped when her legs were tired after running around aimlessly for fifteen minutes. She looked around and knew it was the kitchen she was currently sheltered in.

'There are no ghosts here. That was just a coincidence.' She gave herself a prep talk and almost convinced herself that her mind was playing tricks on her, when a loud hiss shot by her ears. She whipped her head around and came face to face with nothingness.

'Who is t-there?' she asked, casting a nervous glance around. There was no answer.

'It's in your head Jo. Ghosts don't exist' She laughed nervously at her own stupidity and paranoia.

That's right when she heard a loud howl and pots and pans being thrown at her. She dodged each and every one expertly, screaming loudly for her life and began running like an Olympic gold medalist.

••••••

'Did I just see Jo running about 120 miles per hour past this room?' Bala asked, wondering why Jo preferred running in the farm house instead of walking and exploring like them.
'Yeah. Let her be. She seems like she is having fun on her own' Avi and Prem answered in unison.

•••••••

Jo paced the room, swearing under her breath. The room she was currently in was creepier than every other room she had been in. There were hundred different life like portraits of people and all of them seem to be staring at her.

She moved around the room, careful not to make any noise. And then she heard the tap.

'I'm imagining it'

she ignored it, until the tap became louder and unbearable. She opened the closet door with trembling hands. She found nothing. There was huge ancient cloaks and sarees and jewelleries in the closet.

'See. No ghosts' She chuckled nervously and before she could finish the sentence a pair of hands shot out of the closet, as if to grab her.

•••••••

'You are right. Jo definitely has some skills in running' Avi remarked in amusement. Jo had crossed the room again in high speed and after ten minutes he saw her running past the door again.
'Is it because there is no gym in the village?' Prem asked his older brothers.
Before they could answer, Jo came behind them and let out a loud scream. Startled, the kids screamed back at her, which made her scream even louder.
After five minutes of screaming continously they heard, loud laughter coming from the doorway.

Jo found Shriya and the gigglomania laughing at her. She immediately knew what 'ghosts' were scaring her. She scowled at them angrily, when they made remarks about how she was running around like a headless chicken almost pissing her pants in fear.

'I wasn't scared. I knew it was you guys. I was playing along' She said unconvincingly.
'Ofcourse you weren't.' Shriya said, hooking an arm around Jo's.
'I wasn't' Jo huffed.
'Yeah yeah' She shoved her playfully and Jo found she couldn't stay mad at the girl for more than five minutes, even if she did make her run around like a headless chicken and almost make her piss in her pants. Almost.

•••••

Shriya interwined her fingers with Jo, walking closely to her in the trail.
'I wasn't scared you know' Jo tried again.
Shriya stopped walking and turned to look at Jo.
'I know' she smiled cheekily.
'Whatever' Jo frowned. Shriya leaned in close, their faces inches apart, hooked a finger under her chin, turned her face to the side and planted a gentle kiss on her cheek.
Jo was willing to be scared by real ghosts if it meant she earned more kisses like this.
'Do you have a habit of kissing people randomly?' Jo asked, her voice teasing the girl who smacked the back of her head playfully.
'Nope. But next time I kiss you, I'll make sure I've planned it elaborately' Shriya replied bashfully, batting her eyelashes at Jo.
Jo laughed. ' There is going to be a next time?. Gee. It's hard work to stay this irresistible'
'Keep talking like this and there is never going to be a next time' Shriya smiled a sickeningly sweet smile at her.
That shut Jo up.

•••••••

Post Sun May 05, 2013 6:17 am 
Ashae78

Hey LP,
I'm loving the story so far and anxiously checking for new additions Smile .
Keep up the good work.

Ashae

Post Fri May 24, 2013 8:44 am 
love_phoenix

Thank you Ashae. It's good to get a feedback and a positive one at that. Smile

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:18 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: