BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Lesbian Love Stories

Sugar Land - New section 8/26 the final sections
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Allison

Sugar Land - New section 8/26 the final sections

After much discussion with an avid tutor, I have been convinced to rewrite Sugar Land, concentraing on plot and character development. So, in the spirit of Star Wars, I am going back to the beginning Wink Hopefully, when this story is done it will all be in one post and easy for readers to find. Thanks for all the encouragement and sweet posts ladies! Alli

Sugar Land

Part One – In the Beginning

Sasha Thibodaux was born in New Orleans, July fourth, eighteen hundred and ninety. Her parents, Theo and Marie, met and fell in love at a New Orleans social where Marie was performing on a baby grand piano. Theo, a successful shipping entrepreneur, was drawn to the music and entranced from his first sight of Marie. A proper Cajun lady, Marie’s piano performances were a highlight of the bustling socials held by New Orleans’ most elite inhabitants.

Their engagement lasted a year and the wedding set a new standard for the New Orleans’ community. Theo’s success afforded him the wealth to purchase a large mansion on the river’s east side, which he and Marie made a home.

They traveled to Europe by steamship for an extended honeymoon and it was on this voyage that Sasha was conceived. Nearly a month later, on their last night in Paris, Theo and Marie strolled beneath a blanket of stars. As they sat on a nearby bench marveling at the heaven’s handiwork, Marie told Theo he was going to be a father. Theo’s shouts of joy echoed throughout the vast courtyard and then he took Marie in his arms for a sweltering kiss.

The next day, they began their journey homeward. The return trip was plagued by morning sickness, but Theo remained by Marie’s side and attended to her every need.

When they returned to New Orleans, he hired Caroline, a Cajun midwife and companion for Marie. They spent their mornings sipping tea in the gardens and their afternoons in the parlor where Marie played the piano. After lunch, Marie would retire for a brief nap to refresh herself for Theo’s return.

Each night, Theo returned home and placed his hand on his wife’s swollen stomach to feel the strong heartbeat of his growing child. He would then gently embrace Marie for a soft kiss barely able to restrain his excitement as the day of birthing grew closer.

The summer’s heat continued to build and on the first day of July, Caroline told Theo that Marie’s time was growing near. For two days, Caroline sat beside Marie’s bed and when her labor began on the third she was joined by Theo. He sat with them through thirty hours of painful labor, never leaving her side. Theo watched as Marie gave birth to their daughter and when Caroline placed her in his arms for the first time, Theo’s tears flowed freely.

“Welcome to the world, Sasha Marie Thibodaux,” he said as he cradled the infant near his body.

The raven-haired, lavender-eyed infant stole Theo’s breath away and he doted on his daughter. From the day of her birth, Theo vowed to do everything possible to give her the best life had to offer.

For the first few years, Sasha spent her mornings playing in the gardens with Caroline and her mother and the afternoons sitting beside her mother at the piano in the parlor. Sasha was born with her mother’s love for music and quickly learned to play to her mother’s delight.

The intense, prolonged labor left Marie scarred and unable to bear another child. After several years with no additional children, Theo realized Sasha would be his sole heir and he taught her all he could about the world of business.

When she was five, Theo hired a private tutor for Sasha who proved an apt pupil, learning several languages in written and spoken form. By ten, Sasha was assisting her father with bookkeeping skills as her hunger for knowledge continued to burn.

At sixteen, Sasha had reached her potential with her tutor and Marie and Theo sat in the parlor one night to discuss Sasha’s future. Marie told him of a new school opening in New York City, specializing in Musical Art and after long debates; he relented to allow Sasha to be educated so far from home.

The next day, they met with Sasha to discuss the school prospect with her. She was excited about traveling and studying in New York City, but she was also terrified of being so far from the safety of her home. Theo assured his daughter she would thrive in such a modern atmosphere and she agreed that they should travel to New York City to allow Sasha to audition.

Sasha, Theo and Marie traveled to New York City by train two weeks later. Sasha sat at the windows for hours watching the landscapes change as they traveled further north and for the first time she saw mountains and large cities. The enormousness of New York City overwhelmed Sasha at first, but once they arrived at the Institute of Musical Art, Sasha knew she was meant to be there. Her audition performance impressed the instructors and she was offered a scholarship immediately. They spent the remainder of the week exploring in New York City and left with an agreement for Sasha to begin her studies in the fall.

Sasha spent her remaining month in New Orleans working with her father and spent her free time strolling along the streets of the city she loved. One afternoon, Theo found his daughter sitting atop the levy, staring out across the Big Muddy. He sat beside his daughter and they sat in silence for a while. Sensing her trepidation, Theo said, “I understand your anxiety, but I know once you arrive in New York, you will blossom.”

“I know you are right father,” Sasha said, “but I will miss home so much.”

Theo chuckled. “Nawlins is your blood and your home my daughter and no big, exciting city will ever change that.”

Sasha threw her arms around her father and he held her, so proud of the young woman she was becoming.

“I love you father,” Sasha whispered.

“I love you my daughter,” Theo replied.

They stood together and walked back toward Theo’s office. “There is something I want to show you,” Theo said as he locked the door and led Sasha down the sidewalk.

They walked several blocks until they reached one of the oldest of New Orleans’s cemeteries. He led her to a raised single crypt with Thibodaux carved into the stone. Looking closer, Sasha could see a smaller name and date.

Sasha Thibodaux
1830 – 1880

“My mother and your grandmother,” Theo said to a wide-eyed Sasha. “You look so much like her it is eerie Sasha,” her father said. “I never knew my father who died at sea before I was born, but your grandmother raised me alone, in an era that was extremely difficult.” Theo paused for a moment, remembering thoughts of his mother. “I can remember her coming home late at night, her hands raw and blistered from the long days of labor necessary for her to raise me.”

Sasha could see the tears in his eyes as he continued.

“A stronger woman was never born. She would work long hours and then after a brief sleep she would wake to check my schoolwork before sending me off to the private school she struggled to afford.” Theo’s fingers touched the weather worn granite. “She died when I was fifteen, but through her sacrifice she had given me the knowledge to make my way in the world. I went to work at the docks and saved every penny I could until I had enough to start a company of my own.” Theo looked at Sasha. “You have the strength of my mother, and I know you will go to New York and make us proud.”

Sasha, who had remained silent, swallowed hard and pushed back her tears. “I will not let you or grandmother be disappointed,” she promised.

“I know,” Theo said and then bent down and kissed the stone above his mother’s name.

They walked home in silence, both relishing the time they had spent together.

In two more days, Sasha would leave for New York. She accompanied Theo to the train station to make her arrangements and helped her mother and Caroline pack her trunks for travel.

The day before her departure, Sasha woke early and went into the garden to pick some flowers. She walked out of the garden gate and allowed her feet to lead her back to the cemetery. She located her grandmother’s crypt and laid her offering of flowers upon it. Her fingers traced the carved letters of her namesake, and she felt the strength of the woman laid to rest here. “I will make you proud grandmother,” she said. She sat on a small bench next to the crypt and pondered why her father had waited so long to bring her here.

A shadow fell across the bench and Sasha looked up to see Theo standing next to her. She had not heard his approach and was startled to see him there.

“I wanted you know the strength from which you were made and I felt you were ready,” Theo said in response to her silent question. He sat beside Sasha. “I wish she had lived long enough to have met you,” he said.

“I would have loved that,” Sasha said with a smile.

Theo and Sasha sat in the cemetery for hours as he told her stories from his childhood and the grandmother she never met came to life for her. When he had finished, Theo kissed the stone and was followed in the act by Sasha who whispered, “Goodbye grandmother.”

Sasha spent the rest of the day at the office with her father. “Who will keep you organized when I am gone?” she asked, teasing her father.

“Well I will expect you to work double time when you are home on holidays,” Theo answered.

“What if I don’t like school father?” she asked.

“I doubt that will happen, but you can always come home and work here with me,” he answered.

Sasha took comfort in her father’s words as she sat across the desk from him.

Theo quietly opened the desk drawer and pulled out a small gift box and slid it across the desk. Sasha took the box in her hands and opened it, gasping in shock when she opened the lid. Inside was a small gold locket and when she opened it she found a picture of her parents on the right side and on the left a picture of a woman who had to be her grandmother. “Is this grandmother?” she asked.

“It is indeed the only photograph of her that was ever made,” Theo answered. “I have carried it with me until now and today I pass it on to you. If you find yourself homesick or in need of comfort you can look at us to remind you of your strength.”

Sasha looked at the beautiful piece for several minutes and then slipped the chain over her head. The locket rested comfortably on her chest and felt warm against her skin.

That night she dreamed of her adventures ahead and woke the next morning to a hearty breakfast. Theo, Marie and Caroline accompanied her to the train station, where many tears were shed, as their daughter began the first of many journeys to come in her life.

Last edited by Allison on Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:32 am; edited 29 times in total

Post Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
lemons

Alli,

Apparently I missed the first "Sugar Land" but this one I am throughly enjoying!! I can't wait to see what you write next!!

Thanks!

(((((Alli)))))

Lem

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:49 am 
ghost

so glad to see something from your pen again, alli....

was sort of wondering where Sasha came from....

good start! (or should i say beginning?)

regards
ghost

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:14 am 
Allison

Lem...it is down there somewhere tucked away in a couple of different posts. Look it up if you wish or wait to see what the new version will hold in store. Thanks for the post!

Alli

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Allison

Ghosty...I am writing when I can find the time. Is always hard in the summer with so much going on. Glad you liked the new beginning. Thanks for the post sweets!

Alli

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:36 pm 
ladielove

Thank's Alli.

Post Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:39 pm 
Allison

My pleasure Ladie. I hope you enjoyed the read.

Alli

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:31 pm 
Allison

Part Two

Part Two - New York City

Sasha finished dinner in the dining car and then remained in the passenger section for several more hours until the sun dipped below the horizon. She retired to the sleeping cabin and lay on the cot, watching the dark clouds as they passed before a glowing harvest moon. Eventually, the gentle rocking of the car on the tracks lulled her to sleep and she dreamed of her grandmother.

When she woke the next morning, Sasha could barely remember dreaming as she dressed and made her way to the dining car for breakfast. Midmorning the train crossed into Virginia and during a stop to collect additional passengers, Sasha left the train to get some exercise. She stepped into a bright sunny morning, filled with the aromas of fruit as it was brought in from the orchards to the farmer's market located next to the train depot. Sasha bought two large yellow apples from a merchant and walked the aisles until the conductor announced it was time again to board the train.

She savored the sweetness of the apple as she watched the countryside roll by as the train devoured mile after mile of track. Sasha marveled at a small waterfall, nestled into the cleavage of a mountain and imagined bathing in the cool, clear water. Such beauty she had never imagined so far from her home. The rivers and bayous were almost alien compared to the rolling valleys and deeply colored mountains she was passing through. The richness of the colored foliage in particular pleased Sasha who had never witnessed the change of the seasons. She loved the ancient oaks and moss covered cypress of home, but they were astonishingly different from the elm and maple burning with color.

Sasha also felt a cold crispness in the air, so unlike the humid air which hung thickly in Nawlins. She observed her fellow passengers who unlike herself appeared oblivious to the beauty surrounding them.

When Sasha retired for the evening, she wrote into a small diary, capturing her thoughts and sights of the day. Caroline had given the small, leather-bound book to Sasha as a going away present and Sasha had promised to make frequent entries to document her journey. When she had finished her notes, Sasha tucked the treasured book into her bag and slipped quietly between the sheets. Now accustomed to the movement of the train, Sasha drifted off to a peaceful sleep.

When she awoke the next morning, Sasha peered out the frosted window and saw a sign noting the mileage to New York City to be five more miles. Sasha freshened up and packed away her traveling clothes as the final miles slipped away.

Sasha stepped off the train and saw an older black man standing beside a horse drawn carriage. He approached her and politely asked, "Are you Miss Thibodaux?"

"Yes sir," Sasha said to the warmly smiling man.

"My name is Joshua and I have been sent from the Alyson Boarding House to collect you and your trunks," the man said in his rich, deep voice.

"Why thank you sir," Sasha said as she handed Joshua the bag she was carrying.

Joshua led Sasha to the carriage and placed her in the comfortable seat. "I will collect your trunks and we will be on our way," Joshua said then disappeared into the crowd of passengers bustling to retrieve their baggage.

Joshua loaded the three trunks Sasha had traveled with and then climbed onto the driver's seat of the carriage. He picked up the reins and with a soft clicking sound and a gentle slap of the reins against the horse's neck they were off.

Joshua remained silent and allowed Sasha to take in the sights of the bustling city, now awake with hundreds of people rushing to and fro as they tended to their business. When they arrived at the boarding house, Sasha was ushered to her new home by Mary who was the owner of the establishment. She handed Sasha a key as well as a list of the rule’s and meal times for the boarding house and with a swift departure, left a dazzled Sasha standing in the middle of a large room.

Sasha spent the afternoon putting away her clothing and arranging her room. She was pleased that there was a small desk sitting in front of the room's sole window where she could complete her studies while looking out over a small-wooded park. Checking the time, Sasha saw it was time for dinner and made her way down to the dining room.

She took a seat at the long table and was introduced to the other five young ladies sitting around the table by Mary. They were all students of the Institute who would be starting classes with her on Monday. Joshua and his wife Ella served up a lovely meal of pork roast, fresh vegetables and fresh baked yeast rolls. Sasha joined in on the friendly banter around the table and immediately felt drawn to the blonde haired girl named Amelia from Atlanta sitting to her right. The other girls, mostly from the northeast or Midwest chuckled at the southern drawl spoken by both Amelia and Sasha as if they were speaking in a foreign language. Having been properly raised as southern ladies, neither Sasha nor Amelia commented on the strange accents of the others though their speech sounded like rabid chipmunks prattling along.

Sasha was even more pleased to find that Amelia's room was next to hers and there was a small doorway adjoining them. They spent the rest of the evening discussing their excitement over starting at the Institute and they agreed to meet again after breakfast to spend the day exploring their new surroundings. Sasha pulled her diary from her desk and made a brief entry before checking the bathing room to see if it was vacant. Fortunately, it was and Sasha started to draw the water before she returned to her room. She poured a small amount of lavender scent into the water and stepped into a hot bath. The lavender scent reminded her of the garden at home and for a moment she drifted into melancholy thoughts. Her fingers grazed the locket on her neck, reminding her to remove it, setting it beside the tub and then she smiled to herself and laid back to enjoy her bath.

Sasha returned to her room completely relaxed, turned off the gas lamp and slid between cool, soft sheets to dream her night away.

Refreshed and fueled with a hearty breakfast, Sasha and Amelia left the boarding house to begin their exploration. They first discovered the route they would need to take the following day to the Institute and then fanned out from there walking several blocks in each direction, noting bakeries, dress shops, a small museum of fine art and several parks. Amelia was a violinist who was also fifteen and away from home for the first time. She was quick to speak her mind and rapidly became Sasha's best friend. The "Belles" as they would soon be nicknamed were almost inseparable, spending their free time together whenever possible. They could be frequently found practicing their music together at the Institute, much to the delight of their instructors.

Amelia and Sasha, unlike most of their classmates were serious about their music. The majority of the other young women were only interested in learning parlor music and landing a fine husband, but they craved to learn more about music. Together they would spend hours practicing while their peers would be out socializing and enjoying their youth. Sasha's fingers would glide across the ivory as she watched Amelia, eyes closed, caressing the violin with her bow as the notes danced in the air. Frequently, they would find themselves playing the same practice piece, their music joining in beautiful harmony as they both became lost in their music.

For their midterm examinations, they were charged with performing a classical selection assigned by their instructor and composing an original piece. Both excelled in performance, but Amelia struggled with composition. Sasha tutored her friend in writing the piece and selecting the tempo of the music. Their pursuit of perfection was amply rewarded as they were both at the top of their classes and selected to perform during the school's first Christmas Concert.

Both she and Amelia remained in New York City over Thanksgiving to practice their performances. Joshua and Ella created a terrific Thanksgiving meal for them, complete with sweet potato and pecan pies. After such a feast, Sasha and Amelia opted for a walk. Thanking them for the lovely meal, the young women, wrapped in thick coats stepped out to an overcast afternoon. They walked the streets for an hour before deciding to return home. The temperature dropped quickly and moisture from the heavy clouds that hovered above them escaped to form the first snowflakes Sasha had ever seen. Amelia laughed as Sasha chased the flakes that melted in her hands as she giggled and danced down the walk. When they returned to the boarding house, Sasha sat at her desk for hours watching the flakes fall softly as they began to accumulate on the ground. Finally exhausted, Sasha succumbed to sleep.

A light tapping at the adjoining door woke Sasha the next morning and when she opened it Amelia grabbed her hand and rushed her to the window. Sasha gasped at the beauty of the small park that was completely blanketed by the bright snow. Limbs that were until recently covered by beautifully colored leaves were now enveloped by the stark white snow. They rushed to dress and bundled up before stepping outside to the crunch of the snow under their feet. Sasha bent to scoop a handful of the frozen liquid in her hands and quickly learned to make her first snowball which she promptly tossed at Amelia striking her in the shoulder. The battle was on and Amelia fired a snowball back at Sasha and for nearly a half hour they chased one another until the cold and their exhaustion forced them back inside.

Ella, who had stood at the window watching the "Belles" frolicking in the snow, prepared fresh biscuits and thick gravy for their breakfast. Their good manners and heartfelt thanks had made Amelia and Sasha her favorites of the new batch of boarders and Ella did her best to make them feel at home.

The weeks passed quickly and Theo and Marie arrived in town for the Christmas Concert performance as well as Amelia's parents from Georgia. The two families dined together in the city and sat together during the concert. Both sets of parents were very proud of their daughter's who were the spotlight of the show. Sasha and Amelia performed individually and then together as the highlight of the show. It was obvious to the entire audience that they were the premier artists of the school, their skills much advanced over older students. The theater buzzed with excitement after their performance and their parents swelled with pride.

For four years, Sasha and Amelia studied together at the Institute, and traveled throughout the northeast performing concerts for the Institute. At the end of their fourth year, Amelia was called home. Her mother had taken ill and her father needed her assistance in raising her younger siblings. Their plans to travel to London to study at King's college together would have to wait as Amelia attended to her families needs.

On their last night together, Sasha and Amelia walked the streets of New York, reliving the times they had shared and then sat in Sasha's room for hours talking about London. They hoped Amelia's mother would have a speedy recovery and Amelia could join Sasha in London. When Amelia stood to return to her room, Sasha embraced her friend. She could see the tears welling in Amelia's eyes and without hesitation, Sasha gently placed her lips on Amelia's for a soft kiss.

"I love you Amelia," Sasha said to her shocked friend. "Your mother will recover quickly and before you know it we will be amazing the royal city of London with our musical talents," Sasha said.

Amelia hugged Sasha tight and whispered "I love you too," and then left the room before she broke down in tears.

Sasha accompanied her to the train station the next morning and they promised to write and keep in touch while they were apart. With a final hug, Amelia turned away from Sasha and boarded the train for home.

Joshua remained silent on the ride back to the boarding house, knowing how much Sasha was already missing Amelia. For the next three days, Sasha moped around the house as she packed up her belongings for her trip home. She would spend the summer in New Orleans before sailing to London in the fall.

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:16 pm 
lemons

very nice Alli!!

Not often I read a story/book that moves through time so smoothly! Can't wait to read more!!

(((((Alli)))))

Lem

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:52 pm 
ladielove

Alli.
You are truly a great writer ,
Lem's word smoothly is all I was thinking the whole time reading , when she said it , I was like WOW!

OH! I have decided to knit a skirt and tank top with my bells. and a hay low
and a pair sandals.
thank you Alli.

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:30 pm 
Allison

Lem and Ladie,

Thanks for your comments and encouragement ladies. I am glad you are enjoying the story so far. Will try to write more soon! Thanks again!

Alli

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:14 am 
ghost

good write, alli. keep it up....

regards
ghost

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:25 am 
Allison

Thanks for the reply Ghost. I will be working on the next part soon. Glad you have enjoyed so far.

Alli

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:17 pm 
Allison

Part Three

Part Three

The excitement of the train ride home was muted by the absence of Amelia, who would have ridden as far south as Atlanta with Sasha had circumstances been different. Nonetheless, Sasha was going home, having graduated at the top of her class and with plans to travel to London to continue her studies at King's College. The education and exposure Sasha could receive in Europe would far surpass what she could obtain in the United States. Marie had convinced her that all the prominent musicians spent much of their time performing the various venues in Europe and Sasha should be no exception.

Two days later when the train arrived in New Orleans, Sasha found her father pacing the platform awaiting her return. He hugged his daughter tightly when she departed the train and paid a steward to deliver her trunks later that day. Sasha reached for her father's hand and they walked home, allowing Sasha to stretch her travel weary legs. It had been nearly six months since she was home for Christmas and she was shocked when they entered the house. Her mother's raven hair had deep streaks of gray running through it. Sasha did not comment, but silently she worried about her mother's health.

Caroline was no longer living in the house; instead, she had married and was raising a child of her own. Marie said that she visited often and would bring her son James with her to play in the gardens just as she had when she was young. The memory of those long days in the garden brought a smile to Sasha's face. When she climbed the stairs and opened the door to her room, Sasha realized how much she had matured while she was in New York. Still, the memories of her childhood warmed her heart as she looked at the pictures that graced her bureau of her parents and her on holidays and a picture of her parents wedding. Sasha unpacked her trunks and then went down stairs to join her parents for dinner.

Theo and Marie were disappointed to learn of Amelia's mother's ill health. They knew that Amelia was important to their daughter and hoped that she would continue with her plans to travel to Europe.

"Do you plan to go to London this fall?" Theo asked.

"Yes father, I am committed to King's College starting in September and if all goes well, Amelia will follow whenever possible," she answered.

Theo was relieved by this response and cheerily talked about the honeymoon he and Marie had spent in Europe. "I am convinced you will fall in love with Europe just as we did," Theo said.

Marie was smiling as she listened to Theo. "It was a very memorable time for us and it was also when you were conceived," she added. "I can still hear your father's shouts echoing in the courtyard when I told him that he would be a father," she said.

"A bit excited were you father?" Sasha teased.

"I could not wait for you to be born," Theo admitted, the excitement still ringing in his voice.

Sasha chuckled at her father. "He is telling the truth," Marie said. "When I finally went into labor he refused to leave my side, afraid that he would miss your grand entrance."

Theo laughed but did not deny Marie's claim. He was a proud father then and now as he looked at his daughter across the table. What a fine young woman she had grown into he thought.

After dinner, Sasha took a walk down by the levy. As the sun sank beneath the horizon, she thought of Amelia and wondered how she was faring with her mother's illness. She would write a letter to her tonight to let her know that she was thinking of her and wishing her mother well. With a deep sigh of loneliness, Sasha returned to the house and bid her parents goodnight, then disappeared into her room.

When she pulled out paper and ink to write to Amelia, Sasha found it hard to find the words she wanted to say to Amelia. She missed her close friend terribly and hoped they could be together again soon, but every time she started to write, the words she wrote were stiff and without the warmth she felt whenever she thought of Amelia. She relented to send a brief note with well wishes to her mother and a plea for Amelia to write soon or visit if possible. Sasha wrote Amelia's address on the envelope and laid it on her nightstand. She would take it to post the next morning before joining her father in the office.

The weeks of that summer passed quickly. Sasha spent her days working with her father, teasing him endlessly at how disheveled the office had become without her supervision. Each day she would return home with him to find that no letter had been delivered from Amelia and her worry began to grow. Finally, two weeks before she was to sail to London, Sasha walked into the foyer to see a letter lying on the table. She picked up the letter and walked out to the garden. Sitting beneath a shadowy willow, Sasha opened the letter from Amelia. The further she read into the letter, the more her heart was broken. Amelia's mother had made an almost complete recovery from her illness, a relief to the entire family. Amelia wrote to Sasha that she was in love with the young, handsome Doctor who had nursed her mother back to health and announced that they would be married on October first.

The letter fell from Sasha's hand to land in her lap as she struggled to hold back her tears. Amelia was in love with someone besides her, and she would marry when Sasha would not be able to attend. Unable to control her heartbreak, Sasha's tears rolled freely down her cheeks. Her chest ached deeply as she read again the words her love had written. Sasha was determined she would be happy for Amelia, though her heart could not forget the love she had for her. Fate surely had dealt her a difficult hand and Sasha hoped that her travels to Europe would allow her the time she needed to heal her wounded heart.

That evening, the words poured from her pen as she wrote to Amelia telling her how happy she was for her and her fiancé and that she hoped them the best of luck. Sasha knew this would be the last time she would correspond to the woman that had meant so much to her and when she sealed the envelope, Sasha knew a chapter of her life had ended.

Sasha found great solace in visiting her grandmother when life's hardships closed in around her, and she found herself walking to the cemetery after posting her letter to Amelia. She sat beside her grandmother's crypt and drew strength from the woman lain to rest there. Sasha understood that her grandmother would have felt the terrible pain of losing a love when her husband was lost at sea and somehow she had the fortitude to continue to raise Theo alone, never remarrying or relying on others for assistance. Sasha knew that she would survive the heartache of losing Amelia and walk the path that fate had laid before her feet.

Though she struggled with the knowledge that she would be traveling alone in Europe, Sasha remained focused on her goals and would not allow her separation from Amelia to become an obstacle. She was young and she knew there would be many more adventures to come in her life.

Forcing a smile, Sasha stood and walked to her father’s office to begin her day. Theo sensed a change in his daughter, but knew her well enough to know that if she wanted to talk over anything she would come to him. Sasha spent the entire day setting up billing invoices for the next few months and when it was time to head home for the evening, Theo had to prompt her that it was time to go. She had become so immersed in her work that she had lost all comprehension of the time passing.

Theo draped his arm protectively around Sasha’s shoulder as they walked. “Father, why is the human heart so fragile?” she asked.

“The best answer I can determine is that for the heart to remain soft and tender enough to fall deeply in love it must remain vulnerable. When love is betrayed or fails to blossom the heart temporarily abandons the idea of love and the hurt occurs.” Theo sighed deeply and continued. “The strong heart mends itself quickly and grows stronger, though it remains vulnerable to hurt and heartache, for the option is to grow distant and cold, unable to love as the heart was intended.”

Sasha contemplated his words as they walked toward home and she realized her father was right and though her wounded heart would heal she would become stronger and better prepared the next time her heart fell in love.

Sasha slipped her arm through Theo’s and they walked in silence until they arrived home. Theo then turned to his daughter and said, “I know Amelia meant the world to you, but her loss will set you on the path to find the one that is right for you.”

“I know you are right father,” Sasha said. “I just have to keep telling my heart that until I can convince it that life will go on and I will find love again,” she said as she pushed through the door.

The day arrived for Sasha to leave for London and she boarded the train that would carry her back to New York where she would sail across the Atlantic. Though she had made the trip many times during her studies at the Institute, Sasha still loved the route the train would travel. The train stopped briefly in Atlanta to take on additional passengers and Sasha remembered the times she waited for Amelia to board the train so they could travel to New York to continue their studies. Sasha felt a sharp twinge of heartache as she realized that those days were long gone and she was moving on with her life. She regretted that Amelia would not be joining her, but Sasha was excited about the prospects awaiting her in Europe.

When she reached New York City, Joshua and Ella met her at the train depot and drove her to the harbor. Sasha was happy to see the married couple who had made her stay in New York City so pleasant and wished for a moment they could join her in London. Ella had packed Sasha a bag of sandwiches and fruit for her trip and after a tearful goodbye, Sasha boarded the ship.

Post Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:08 pm 
ghost

i am growing fond of Sasha, alli.... please keep on with the story...

regards
ghost

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:09 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: