BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> General Fiction

Waiting for dawn

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ghost

Waiting for dawn

It’s still dark outside.

Towards the east, a faint, barely perceptible change is slowly taking place. I have left the cozy warmth of my bed to stare through the window, at a sleeping world under the stars. They, too, are growing fainter, as if to say… we are not quite what we were…when you look again, we will be gone . They lie, of course, the stars, because they never go away, they just become invisible for a while.

Coffee in hand, I drag my chair across to the sliding door, from where I will await the arrival of the day. The best time, I have found, to reflect on life’s mysterious ways. I shiver. Yes, it’s freezing here, but the numbing cold has crept from my bones, into my blood, into my heart.

Numbness is a good thing at times.

I get up to fetch a blanket. Hurrying, because at this time, a minute spent looking the other way deprives me of seeing a little part of the daily miracle.

The trees become silhouettes. I silently watch as the outlines become clear, and the sky starts changing from black to that peculiar very deep blue. There are no clouds today. Pity, really, clouds make for some of the most beautiful sunrises. Streaks of purple featherings, crimson and silver and a ghostly grey… I love the sunrise clouds. My luck is out today.

The birds start waking up. The pigeons nesting under the eaves of the roof scramble around, the scratching of their feet on the metal making me wince. The sparrows are normally the first to get going, chirruping mothers waking up the youngsters, dads complaining about the lack of space… Noisy little things they are.

Far away, in the valleys surrounding my home, the sound of vehicles on the road drift through the still air. If you use your imagination, like I often seem to do these days, it almost sounds like the soft murmur of waves on the beach. Silly comparison, but this is my story, so tough luck.

By now, the lightening of the eastern skies have chased away the stars. Looking to the west, a few stragglers are still visible. My coffee is finished. I can still not distinguish any colours outside. The merest hint of silver touches the horizon. The time grows near.

I wait.

My head feels empty. The numbness has spread there, too. I deliberately try to think of something… but to no avail. Thoughts flutter around in my mind like the sparrows waking up, but they find no resting-place here. Through the trees I can just make out the start of a rosy glow. The sun is on its way. Soon, very soon now.

The changing colours of the sky always fascinate me. Oh, I know the scientific explanation for it, prisms and moisture in the air and that sort of thing, but I am a romantic old soul. I prefer just looking. Enjoying. Savouring. Admiring.

There.

The first orange-red speck arrives. Moment by moment I watch as the ball of fire rises into the sky, casting a pink glow across the horizon. The colours are changing still. From dark purple, to an indefinable shade of blue, lilac tinged with red, washed-out pinks, greying out to a light blue. Beautiful.

The sun has become big, bright, fiery. Dawn has come. And gone.

I have to look away now, and the magic moment has passed. I remain in my chair, dragging the blanket up around my cold shoulders. My nose is a bit runny from the cold air… and my eyes are watering from looking at the sun a little too long.

Goodnight, long, lonely darkness. Good morning, sunshine.

May this day be beautiful.

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:39 am 
Allison

Beautiful write Ghost! I can see the sunrise and the beginning of your day through your colorful words!

Alli

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
lemons

Beautiful Ghost!!

I was imagining this as I read it .......

hands ghosty a tissue for her cold and runny nose

Hope you feel as beautiful as that sunrise soon!!

(((((((ghosty)))))))

mello yello

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:48 pm 
ghost

thanks, alli, glad you liked it.

regards
ghost

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:58 pm 
ghost

thanks, mello yello, have a good weekend!

regards
ghost

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:59 pm 
realwoman

GHOSTY!!!!!!!

Simply LOVED it - the sun chasing away the cold, dark night!!! Seems that you have many hidden talents, my friend!

Keep 'em coming - i can see that i am going to like your stories as much as I like your poetry....

real

light is to darkness as love is to fear...

Post Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:38 pm 
ghost

thanks real.

regards
ghost

Post Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:07 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: