BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

Preserve Internet Neutrality

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Cavewoman

Preserve Internet Neutrality

I hope this doesn't get me in a bunch of hot water here, but i think its important enough to post. and yeah, i realize this only applies to the U.S.A. (at least as far as petitioning the U.S. government) but I'm willing to bet this same thing is going on worldwide... I'm posting it here because i don't want my time at melswebs to be jeopardized in any manner. I also realize this is NOT a political website but sometimes a gal has to do what a gal has to do. If the mods feel this should come down, then please, by all means, remove it.

Hi,

Do you buy books online, use Google, or download to an iPod? Everything we do online will be hurt if Congress passes a radical law next week that gives giant corporations more control over what we do and see on the Internet.

Internet providers like AT&T are lobbying Congress hard to gut Network Neutrality—the Internet's First Amendment and the key to Internet freedom. Net Neutrality prevents AT&T from choosing which websites open most easily for you based on which site pays AT&T more. BarnesandNoble.com doesn't have to outbid Amazon for the right to work properly on your computer.

If Net Neutrality is gutted, almost every popular site—from Google to eBay to iTunes—must either pay protection money to Internet companies like AT&T or risk having their websites process slowly. That why these high-tech pioneers and others are opposing Congress' effort to gut Internet freedom.

You can do your part today—can you sign a petition telling your member of Congress to preserve Internet freedom. The link to the petition is at the bottom. The petition will be delivered to the U.S. Congress before the House of Representatives votes next week.

Snopes.com, which monitors various causes that circulate on the Internet, explained:

Simply put, network neutrality means that no web site's traffic has precedence over any other's...Whether a user searches for recipes using Google, reads an article on snopes.com, or looks at a friend's MySpace profile, all of that data is treated equally and delivered from the originating web site to the user's web browser with the same priority. In recent months, however, some of the telephone and cable companies that control the telecommunications networks over which Internet data flows have floated the idea of creating the electronic equivalent of a paid carpool lane.

If companies like AT&T have their way, Web sites ranging from Google to eBay to iTunes either pay protection money to get into the "fast lane" or risk opening slowly on your computer. We can't let the Internet—this incredible medium which has been such a revolutionary force for democratic participation, economic innovation, and free speech—become captive to large corporations.

Politicians don't think we are paying attention to this issue. Together, we do care about preserving the free and open Internet.

Please sign this petition letting your member of Congress know you support preserving Internet freedom. Click here:

http://www.civic.moveon.org/save_the_internet/?id=7449-6937625-0wvHaFZbdU5H3yJcI293qw&t=5

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Tue May 02, 2006 2:37 am 
Mdm Prez

Cave

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know this.

Cat

Post Tue May 02, 2006 10:10 am 
1seed

Cave

Good lookin out! I will forward to all my friends.

seed

Post Tue May 02, 2006 12:21 pm 
DanceofSorrows

Cave,

Yeah I signed this awhile ago being close to the freedom of the press issue. This is such an important topic, glad you posted it here.

Dance~

Post Mon May 22, 2006 2:52 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: