BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Story Forum Index -> Lesbian Love Stories

Amarillo (working title, may change)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Thanks Alli, means a lot coming from you. Work week ahead, might slow me down somewhat, keep checking lol

HugZ, Noni

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:39 am 
Allison

Will keep my eyes open Wink

Alli

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
PipSqueak

Thanks for another installment. With the lovely weather we've got, if I shut my eyes I'm by the pool with them!

Please keep it going, am gonna be away for a couple of weeks (have finished exams! Very Happy ) so won't be here to beg for more but will be looking forward to a lovely long read when I get back!! Smile

(And the same to you Laurian! Those test results must be out by now! - Soz Noni!)

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:37 pm 
ThatGirlFierce

yay another add Very Happy .. totally hooked on this story.. Arrow Arrow

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Dianne sighed deeply, her memories of that last argument between them were still so fresh in her mind. It had been a Saturday morning at the end of a long working week during which Karla had only come back to sleep in the apartment the one night. This state of affairs had left Dianne feeling frustrated and angry and in no mood for a bright eyed and cheerful Karla who woke her at 8 am bouncing on the end of the bed and singing cheerfully.

“Wake up, wake up you sleepy head, get up, get up, get out of bed………”

Dianne groaned and rolled over, pulling the pillow over her ears, if anything Karla had a worse singing voice than she did.

“For Pete’s sake K., shut up, this is the only day I have had to sleep in for over a week, in case you haven’t noticed some of us have to work to pay the bills and put a roof over your head. Not” she added viciously “that you really need it, seeing as how you are never here. I’m surprised you remembered your way back’.

The words were meant to sting and they had the desired effect. Karla’s head jerked back as if she had been slapped and the smile faded from her lips and her eyes.

“Di, hon please, don’t be like that. Look, work is part of the good news I came rushing back here to tell you, I’ll be working too and we won’t have to worry about paying rent or for food or anything” Karla was never one to hold a grudge and already her voice was rising on a happy note as the words tumbled from her mouth in a rush, so anxious was she to make things alright between them. “ You see, Daddy has offered me a job as his ranch accountant and financial advisor cum personal assistant, it’s a real paying job Di and best of all a house comes with it. Think of that baby, a whole house, it’s so cute, it used to belong to the ranch foreman and his wife back when the place was bigger, before Daddy sold off half his land. You’ll be able to commute to town without traffic everyday and we can plant a garden and all. It’ll be great, think of what it will be like to have more than two rooms to spread out into, you can have your own office and………..”

Karla’s excited chatter began to falter when there was no return of enthusiasm on her partner’s face, her excitement fading again as quickly as it had reappeared.

“Please baby, what’s wrong? I thought……..I thought you would be happy about this, we’ll be back together every night, things will be like they used to be.”

“Oh that’s just dandy K, and may I ask if you have told your parents yet about us? No, don’t say anything, I can tell just by the look on your face, how long would I be living there, in the second bedroom, before you got around to it? Six months, a year, two years! Well guess what? I don’t plan to live undercover to save your parent’s Christian sensibilities one fucking moment longer.” By now Dianne was shouting, her usually closely held temper boiling over in a stream of vitriol which she could no longer control, even if she had wanted to. “Go on, get out of here Karla, go back to Mom and Dad and be the little princess you were born to be,. Pack your stuff and don’t be here when I get back, I have no intention of being anything but what I am - a gay woman and proud of it and I don’t need a partner who can’t make up her mind what side of line she’s standing on”,

Hot anger had sustained her march out of the bedroom, stopping in the living area to pull on jeans and a sweatshirt, pride had kept her away from the apartment for another 5 hours and stupidity had driven her to a bar where she drank her lunch and then some. There had been no note, she hadn’t expected one. Later the next week she was called into the Manager’s office at work and laid off, last in - first out, they were sorry but times were hard. And just like that, it was all gone.

Back at the Sunny Acres pool in the warmth of the Summer evening Dianne shivered as she remembered the coldness with which she had struck out at the woman she had loved, whom she still loved despite all that had gone before. Relating their last conversation to Laverne was giving her a new perspective on how it might appear to an outsider and suddenly her own behavior looked far from blameless.

“I should have……….” Their conversation was interrupted by the arrival of Krystal, carrying a sleeping Jazmine Rose in her arms.

“Scuse me Mama, Dianne, I need to git this baby to bed, she is flaked. I’m taking Randy with me to help carry some stuff and then he and I are gonna watch a movie. Shane’s over their with his friends from school but I told him no later than 10.30pm on account he has baseball early tomorrow. Here, I’m leaving the mosquito repellant with you, it’s getting dark and those stingers will be out soon. Goodnight now.”

In a chorus of goodnights, they watched the youngsters heading out the gate, then shaking her head in amusement, Laverne turned back to Dianne.

“I swear there are times I wonder just which one of us is the Mom here, she puts me to shame” she laughed. “Here, hold your arms out, let me get some of this spray on you”.

Satisfied that Dianne was suitable protected, Laverne picked up their conversation seamlessly, as if the interruption had never occurred.

“ So what was this ‘should have’ you didn’t do girlfriend, Cut yourself some slack, it’s powerful easy to be wise after the fact you know.”

Dianne sighed and gestured with her hands as if futilely trying to gather the pieces of a relationship now scattered . “I should have been more sensitive to the situation in which she found herself, she might have seen some wriggle room then, a way in which her family AND I both could have been accommodated but in my jealousy and blind anger at feeling like I had been misled and lied to, I gave her no option. I forced her to choose between her family and me. And she chose them!

Hot tears had been pooling behind Dianne’s eyes as she spoke the last few words and she dashed them away angrily with the back of her hand but even in the dark the gesture was not lost on Laverne. Hiking her chair closer to bridge the gap between them she slid her arm around Dianne’s shoulders and held her gently.

“Hon, we do what we see as right at the time and in some instances it can backfire on us. She was your gal, your partner and we all want that special person to make us the most important thing in their lives, to put us before and above anyone or anything else. But that can be a tricky tight rope for a body to walk, especially where family is concerned and most of us are not cut out for that sort of high wire act. Yeah, if you want my opinion, Karla was weak, she should have stood up for having you in her life and found a way to integrate both her relationship with you and that with her family in a way that showed she loved you all equally. But, given her background, and how terrified she must have been at nearly losing her Mom so recently, it’s kinda understandable that, when you backed her into a corner, she panicked and took the easy road..”

There was no censure or disapproval in Laverne’s words, just an honest attempt to see both sides of the story and it was this very honesty and evenness that finally pushed Dianne’s overloaded emotions over the edge. The tears that had been dangerously close for several hours began to slowly run down her cheeks and she wept quietly into the offered shoulder, the first time since the breakup she had allowed herself this luxury. In her typical style Laverne didn’t fuss or try to make her talk further, just kept a comforting arm around her and waited till the sobs subsided, only then did she produce a couple of napkins and release her grip.

“Damn it, I’m so sorry hon” Dianne scrubbed furiously at her eyes and cheeks “I don’t know what came over me” She drew herself upright and looked anxiously around, hoping none of the other people around had seen her making a fool of herself,

Laverne chuckled quietly “It’s alright gf, it’s just the youngies left and they are too busy trying to impress each other to notice us, sitting here in the dark. And what came over you is simply called letting go, the little bit I know about you, I’m guessing you see crying as a weakness, but mostly I think tears are just God’s way of giving us a safety valve so we don’t explode. So no apologizing, OK? C’mon, it’s getting late and it’s been a long hot day for us both of us, you run along, I’m gonna have to go over there and pry Shane off that little blonde bimbo he’s glued too” With this pronouncement Laverne screwed up her face into a “I mean business’ look and took several steps in the direction of the milling teenagers before turning around and giving Dianne another big hug.

“Girlfriend, you have some thinking to do and as hard as it might be maybe the time has come for some decision making, it’s been long enough. You have a chance Dianne to get out of this dump, you are young and smart and you don’t have to answer to any one else or have a parcel of kids to be responsible for. If you are bound and determined that you and Karla are finished, then why are you hanging around? Stop thinking about it, just do it, if you want it bad enough, there is always a way around any situation.”

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:20 pm 
angelsheart

but the decisions are not easy to make Sad

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Allison

I am really enjoying this story Noni. It is so nice to come in from a long day at work to catch up with what is going on in Amarillo Wink Write more when you can!! Great write hun.

Alli

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:18 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Well, if you read the new addition Angelsheart, you will see that she did finally make those decisions.

And Yay, I'm Alli's after work reading LOL. I will do my best to keep you entertained.

HugZ, Noni

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:02 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

In the early AM hours, as she tossed and turned, unable to rest, Dianne kept replaying Laverne’s parting words in her head. What was holding her here? Since the day of their horrible fight, Karla had made several token efforts to get in touch, by text but not in person and Dianne was damned if she was going to crawl after any woman. It had a lot to do with losing her job just a few days later, she reflected, that double whammy had knocked her self confidence sideways and then the ensuing financial difficulties had left her floundering and playing catch up with bills ever since. She wanted out of Texas, that was a given, so what would it take to achieve that goal? .Where would she go? Not back to L.A., at least not yet anyhow, she needed somewhere to rest up and heal her wounds and that would be ? The answer came in a flash so bright it had her sitting up in bed ,with the excitement of having made a decision sending her pulse racing - home, she would go home to Oregon, to her parent’s place, it had been way too long since she had seen them and now that the seed had germinated, it filled her mind with a longing for the beauty and solitude of the ancient forests and mountains where she had grown up. But to do that she needed some quick cash to pay for the long overdue maintenance on her truck and a new set of tires and that was one commodity of which her folks were always woefully short., Hell they still operated to a large extent on the barter system, selling home grown organic vegetables to neighbors or at the market stall, next to her Mom’s jewelry. Presumably her Dad was still doing minor vehicle repairs also which paid for anything for which they couldn’t barter their produce, so it was no good looking in that direction for a loan. Damn it, there had to be a way.

The clock by her bedside showed 3.30am but Dianne knew there would be no more sleep coming her way now and she slid out of bed and quietly put on a pot of coffee, trying not to disturb Mischief who stretched once, then curled himself into even a tighter ball, signifying he had no intention of arising at such an ungodly hour. Waiting for the coffee to be ready she paced, suddenly even more irritated by the cramped confines of the trailer than usual, her excitement at finally having taken some control back over her life sending a rush of adrenalin to her muscles which left her unable to be still. A sudden impulse sent her scrabbling thru a drawer for an old work diary and address book. Her immediate Supervisor at her job in L.A. had become a close friend and confidante and on the day Dianne had left, Jaymie had hugged her close and made her promise to call if she ever needed anything. As she thumbed thru the creased pages she prayed that she had Jaymie’s home number somewhere, damn it wasn‘t there, the entries skipped from James to Jonno,. At the sight of her big brother’s name and number she began to breathe a little faster and feel guilty about how long it had been since she last spoken to him, probably before she had left for Texas. It wasn’t that they were exactly estranged, just that over the years some basic differences had widened to where they now found it hard to find a point of reference on which to build a close relationship. Sure there were the obligatory calls on birthdays or other family anniversaries and Dianne had made the trip to see Jonno and his wife Carol on the births of both their two children, some four and six years ago. But she had felt uncomfortable in their two story mansion in San Jose and Carol was obviously equally uncomfortable with this virtually unknown sister in law who was gay to boot. Still blood was blood and if she had to owe money to anyone she’d rather it was kept within the family. She’d call Jonno as soon as it was daylight on the coast, meanwhile there was a ‘To Do’ list to be made. As she poured her first cup of coffee Dianne, exhaled slowly, it was going to be OK, she could do this.

Two weeks later, as she packed the last of her belongings into the truck , Dianne reflected on the speed with which events had evolved. Her initial phone call to Jonno was met with warmth and “tell me how much you need, I’ll wire it today’ and he was as good as his word. She had given Eric, her boss, a weeks notice and during that time had hunted around auto repair shops till she found one capable of doing the work she required at a price she considered reasonable. Telling her friends at the trailer park proved surprisingly emotional, Manuel and Maria had been stoic, though the fact that she was returning to her parent’s home seemed to appease them both. And they had been a godsend when it came down to the problem of what to do with Mischief, her initial inclination had been to take him with her but the more she considered that option the less it appealed. He was strictly an inside cat and her parent’s place would not be totally secure, if he somehow got outside and scared there were thousands of miles of mountainous forest in which he could get lost. Plus she would just have to move him somewhere else when she had decided what her final destination was to be. It had been Maria who came up with the ultimate solution that she would keep Mischief until that time arrived. Her own 15 year old tabby had passed on just before Dianne moved into the park and she was happy to have another cat to care for. When Dianne was settled she could wire them the money and Mario would have him air freighted to the nearest airport for her collection. But now the time for the last goodbyes had arrived and there had been the suspicion of a tear in the old man’s rheumy eyes when he had shaken her hand earlier that morning“Vaya con Dios Senora Dianne, we will miss you here. Drive safely and remember, it is not always the fastest of highways that takes us to where we need to go., you must make time for the side roads and the slower going, and you may find they get you to a destination not of your choosing, but still a place you need to be.”

Maria’s shy hug was less eloquent but still spoke volumes of her affection for this young woman who had obviously suffered loss, both personal and financial, but had responded with a determination to work her way out of the hole into which life had dumped her. She also pressed a wrapped package of tamales into Dianne’s hands, food for her journey and her way of expressing love.

Now there was one last round of goodbyes to say and these were the hardest of all. Naturally she had told Laverne and Krystal of her plans as soon as the money from Jonno had arrived, cause she was concerned about how Krystal would get to work once Dianne herself had finished up. For once fate had intervened in a helpful manner on the day when she had told Eric she was handing in her notice and had to listen to his grumbling about ungrateful staff and where was he going to find another server at such short notice. Immediately she had thought about Laverne whom she knew had previous cooking and serving experience and the fact that working with Krystal would solve the dilemma of a lift for the younger girl. Having grudgingly agreed to give her friend a trial it was obvious from day one they were a match made in heaven, Laverne’s sassy attitude and her refusal to take any of his bad tempered carping seemed to strike a chord with Eric and Dianne had heard reports that he was actually turning up to work with what looked suspiciously like a smile on his usually sour face. Now, all that remained undone was the actual leave taking. Thanks heavens for the presence of Jazmine Rose Dianne thought to herself as she sat on the Yate’s front porch with that little person happily squirming in her lap and babbling non stop in a series of oooh’s and ahhhh’s which no doubt made perfect sense to her. It was hard to be sad around this little bundle of joy and she buried her face in the baby’s soft hair and breathed in her milky scent.

“Well girlfriend, we sure will miss you here but I’m thinking you are making the right move for now.” Laverne plunked herself down on the step next to Dianne, enveloping her and Jazmine Rose in a warm friendly hug. “Now, remember what we talked about, I’m expecting to hear from you at least once each day you’re on the road, no excuses ya hear? I won’t rest easy unless I know you’re safely bedded down in some halfway decent Motel each night”.

Squashed between the two women Jazzy began to wriggle and cry, so Dianne reluctantly passed her over to Krystal, who had been sitting silently on her other side, already missing this woman who had become such a good friend in so short a time. She took the squalling child from Dianne’s arms, then looked at her watch reluctantly.

“Mama, we will have to move it if’n we’re gonna get Jazzy into the Daycare Centre and the two of us to work on time, we sure as hell don’t want Eric coming down on us your second week there.” Her bright smile belied a shaky voice that sounded close to tears and Dianne took the hint and ran with it before she found herself in that same condition.

“Yep, time I was on the road too. Don’t worry, I’ll report in around 8 pm tonight, you take care now Krystal and you too Laverne, thanks for everything, I’ll miss you both” Unwilling to chance the flow of emotions that another hug might induce, Dianne walked quickly to her truck, turning to wave thru the window as she drove away, leaving Sunny Acres and Amarillo in her dust.

Mother and daughter watched until the truck disappeared from view, then Krystal sighed heavily.

“Mama, I can’t help but feel she should have let that ex of hers know where she was going, seems like she should have at least given her a chance to say something. Why do people who once said they loved each other get so hard headed and so hurtful?”

From the anxious look on her daughter’s face Laverne guessed she had been chasing this question around in her own head for a time, and she reached out and hugged Krystal to her breast as if she was only as big as Jazmine Rose.

“Baby girl, folks are just plain contrary sometimes, and the more they might have loved each other the harder they can get when that love just up and flies out the window. I think you’re right, and if it helps you any, I said the same to Dianne last night when we were talking after you had gone to bed. But she’s hurting and she’s fearfully proud, told me she wasn’t going to crawl to anyone and now she’s running away.”

Krystal wrinkled her forehead in thought. “But Mama, she’s going back to her Mom and Dad, where she was born, that ain’t running away surely, she’s going home isn’t’she?

It took a second or two before Laverne gave her a reply. “Krystal, it’s not so much a person or a place she’s running away from, she’s running from herself, from her dreams, her plans, what she thought was her future. But maybe this trip won’t turn out a bad thing at all, sometimes people need to get some space and perspective on their lives and their problems. That’s not always easy when you are surrounded by memories and evidence of your failure, maybe when Dianne gets over being so bitter, she’ll be able to look at the breakup from more than just her side of it. But it will take time, lots of time. Now c’mon, lets get to work before you make me all melancholy too”

Last edited by MysteryGirl on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:04 am 
Allison

Excellent addition Noni. I can't wait to see what happens next. Keep it comin love!!!

Alli

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:34 pm 
PipSqueak

Yay thanks Noni, bag packed and am waiting at the gate!!!

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:46 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Thanks Alli, should have a new segment to add some time tonight.

And Purp, can we say ..........ROAD TRIP??????? Smile

THanks you both for reading and keeping me motivated.

HugZ, Noni

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:35 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Over 600 miles under her tires in two days had made for a lot of dust and very few stops, and Dianne was doubly glad of her last minute decision to spend the money to have Mischief air freighted ahead of her, these long driving days would have been too hard on him. Right now the twilight was settling on the landscape outside the diner windows, and she reflected happily on her sudden whim to take the side road turn off some 15 miles back. Her eye had caught a small handwritten sign that promised ‘home cooking” and the lure of something more than the usual conglomerate of chain fast food stores had dragged her further from the Highway than she had intended and down an increasingly narrower set of byways. Eventually her perseverance had been rewarded with a superb meal in the little town of Temperance, Arizona, nothing more than a collection of small houses grouped around a gas station, general store and Mother Pearl’s Country Diner. From the outside the whole place looked a little ramshackle and tired but inside it was clean and tidy if only big enough for six small formica tables and two booths and the food had been delicious,, After polishing off her chicken fried steak, potatoes, gravy and biscuits, Dianne was making short work of a large chunk of spicy apple tart and cream, and reluctantly considering getting moving to make it back to the Highway before full dark. She planned to pull into the next Motel she saw, ring Laverne and Krystal and collapse, hopefully in that order she groaned to herself as she hauled herself to her feet and tried to stretch protesting muscles in her neck and back that had tightened whilst she had been sitting.

“From the sounds of that groan, and the dust on your truck, you’ve come a ways today Ma’am.” The speaker was the young blonde whose name tagged proclaimed her Nikki and who appeared to be operating as greeter, server, cashier and part time cook tonight. Her sympathetic grin got one in return from Dianne, she had enjoyed the younger woman’s prompt service and meal recommendations and as she paid her tab she counted out a $5 tip and added it to the pile of notes.

“Thanks hon, I appreciate that. I sure hope you aren’t planning on driving too much further tonight, you look all done in. Do you know that the nearest Motel is about 60 mile from the Highway exit? The concern in Nikki’s voice was genuine, her parent’s had died in an auto accident when she was just a baby, caused by another driver falling asleep at the wheel and ploughing headfirst into her folks truck. The woman in front of her had dark circles under her eyes and at the mention of the distance still ahead of her, Nikki could see her shoulders slump lower. That one movement was enough and without considering further she jumped in.

“Please excuse me if I’m out of line, but my Gramms used to operate a Bed & Breakfast here in town, back some years ago before we lost a lot of trade due to the Highway bypass. The thing is, we still have several rooms made up and I know she wouldn’t mind at all putting you up for the night.”

It was on the tip of Dianne’s tongue to politely decline this offer, she wasn’t much for making small talk with people she had just met but the genuine caring and warmth on Nikki’s face had her pausing. Damn but it was a long drive in the dark back along those side roads then a good hour or more to the Motel and a wave of tiredness seemed to roll over her body just at the thought of how much effort it would take to stay alert and focused. A bed close by as opposed to one over 90 minutes away began sounding like a real nice proposition, but still she was concerned about imposing a stranger on an elderly lady without warning. She said so much to Nikki, who flung back her head and laughed heartily.

“Oh Ma’am, I don’t think Gramms would take too kindly to being referred to as an “elderly lady”, she is about the youngest 75 year old you could ever want to meet. Hell, she still works here 3 days a week and bakes all the pies and cookies we sell, she has more energy than anybody I know. And, she loves meeting new people, here if it worries you, I’ll give her a call before we go over. How’s about you sit over this cup of coffee and I’ll be all finished up in about 20 minutes”. Nikki patted her gently on the shoulder then whirled away in a flurry of wiping down tables, chatting on the phone to her ‘Gramms’ and laughing with the young guy cleaning down the kitchen. In less than the promised time Dianne was trailing Nikki;s little 4 x 4 down the main street out of town, one mile along then left thru a creaking, propped open wire gate and up a rutted driveway. There were lights on in both stories of a substantial wooden house, porch all round with the requisite swing and several rocking chairs lined up along the front side. They pulled the vehicles up under a precariously sloping lean to on the side and, grabbing her overnight bag, Dianne followed her new companion round to the back door and into a large country kitchen, nearly the size of her whole trailer back in Amarillo. A delicious scent of cinnamon and cloves filled the room from the rows of apple pies cooling on the counter top , next to wire racks covered in various types of cookies., the last batch of which were just now being taken out of the oven by a tall, spare woman with close cropped silver grey hair. She straightened up as they entered, popped the cookies down next to the others and wiped her hands on a faded calico apron.

“Hi Gramms, we’re home” Nikki bounded across the room, enveloping her grandmother in a warm, affectionate hug and Dianne could see, despite the older woman’s protestations, that she enjoyed the fuss being made over her. Finally she freed herself from her girl’s embrace and , acknowledging Dianne with a nod, she admonished Nikki for her lack of manners in not first introducing her to their guest.

“Oops, sorry Gramms. Dianne, this is my grandmother Pearl Beckett, Gramms this is Dianne…….?

“Matson, Dianne Matson, and I would like to thank you and Nikki for taking me in tonight Mrs. Beckett, it’s been a long couple of days and I really do appreciate your kindness.”

Dianne stepped forward and shook the hand being offered and decided instantly that Nikki had been right, this was no elderly lady, the grip was firm and her eyes the same clear blue as her granddaughters. Her facial features were too strong and angular to allow for beauty but the whole effect was of a striking and decidedly forceful woman, someone used to fighting life’s battles and probably just as used to winning. Under the apron she was wearing Levis and a faded white cotton shirt and boots, so old and stained and beat up, they may have been of a similar vintage to their owner, who was ineffectively trying to swat at Nikki who had helped herself to one of the cookies and then danced around to the other side of the table to avoid retribution.

Smiling at Dianne, she commented wryly “Only name I answer to is Pearl hon. And Nikki I swear if you pinch one more of those cookies I’m gonna switch your butt even if you are 19! I suggest you go check the answering machine, you’ve had at least four calls from that useless Jackson boy this afternoon alone, from the sound of his stuttering and stammering he wants to take you out tonight”

Pearl and Dianne both grinned widely at Nikki’s squeal of glee as she bolted from the kitchen and hammered up the stairs, taking two at a time in her haste.

“Kids” they both exclaimed in unison, then laughed together.

“Well, it doesn’t look like you will get anything more coherent out of that young lady tonight, so I’ll show you to your room. It’d be an easy bet to win that you are just dying for a shower, traveling in this heat and dust just makes you feel dirty all thru, don’t it?” As she spoke Pearl was leading the way thru the inside kitchen door and up a flight of wooden stairs to the second story landing, where she pointed to her left down a short passage.

“That end’s our private quarters, back when the place was a going concern, Nikki and I used to share a room downstairs and I had all four bedrooms up here for guests, when things got to a point where I was no longer breaking even and we closed up shop, we moved up here and turned the downstairs bedroom into a sort of living area for Nik and her friends. Down here” she gestured to the corridor to their right “ are the two remaining guest rooms, now one's done out in pink and the other blue, somehow I’m guessing you would be more comfortable in the blue room”.

Dianne chuckled quietly. “You’d be right there Ma’am, I mean Pearl. Oh wow” this as Pearl threw open the nearest door “this is really neat”. The room was dominated by a large wooden sleigh bed, covered with a patchwork quilt in various shades of blue from sky down to dark denim, variations of the colors were picked out in the curtains, the covered window seat and a large ruffle edged mat on the polished wooden floor. Considering these rooms weren’t used anymore it was dust free and airy and Dianne mentioned this to her hostess, complimenting her on the housekeeping skills.

“Aw it don’t take much to keep up rooms that no one is messing daily” Pearl demurred “I just give them a swish thru every now and then. Anyhow, you’d be surprised how many people stay here, even though we’re closed, Nikki has a habit of bringing home strays, has done every since she was a wee thing and the first of many animals ’followed her home’. As she got older it was just as often people, everyone of them needing a feed or a bed or just a helping hand, she has a gentle heart that little gal. Anyways, the bathroom is thru here, there’s fresh towels on the rail and a robe hanging behind the door, so I’ll leave you to it. Oh, by the way, if you feel the need for any company later, I’ll be sitting in the front parlor with my feet up, you’re welcome to pop your head in and chat if you’re so inclined”.

The hot shower was welcome after a long day’s travel and Dianne reveled in the softness of the big fluffy towel Pearl had provided, it felt luxurious after the thin and well used piece of cloth supplied at last night’s motel unit. Studying her reflection in the bathroom mirror she had to admit that Nikki had been right, she looked really tired, but that had as much to do with the hectic two week lead up to her departure when she had found it hard to sleep at night, as it did with the last two days of hard driving. Suddenly that big soft bed looked mighty inviting, she’d take a rain check on Pearl’s invitation and just turn in as soon as she’d made her call to Laverne and Krystal, there was another long day ahead tomorrow.

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:39 pm 
MdmPrez

Noni

This is an outstanding write by you. Just when I think I know where this is going, I find I am wrong. I like the alluring nature of this piece. It sucks you in and then lets you hang. Love it!!!

Cat

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:16 am 
Allison

Noni....I agree with Mdm. I am totally hooked and find myself checking back often for the next section. PLEASE find time to add more soon. Waiting patiently...

Alli

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:57 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: